Congratulations to MagnumV8, the December 2021 Ride of the Month (ROTM)

Where did I say yours are artificial? All you did was show what a normal picture looks like.
I have seen sunsets like the one in @MagnumV8 's post. That's why I'm defending it. My point was and is, the right timing and lighting can produce a picture like his without filters or editing.

I have seen sunsets like the one in @MagnumV8 's post. That's why I'm defending it. My point was and is, the right timing and lighting can produce a picture like his without filters or editing.
Then you should post those unfiltered and unedited pictures instead.

Damn good thing you can edit your incoherent posts right?

None of the pictures I posted were filtered or edited.
Correct. None of your pictures are filtered or edited. I always believed you. Quit being stupid.

Reactions: pc1p
Correct. None of your pictures are filtered or edited. I always believed you. Quit being stupid.
Take you're own advice... I didn't say that I have pictures of sunsets like his, I said "I have seen" them, in person, in the mountains where I live. (I don't always have my phone with me.... I actually like getting away from it from time to time.

Take you're own advice... I didn't say that I have pictures of sunsets like his, I said "I have seen" them, in person, in the mountains where I live. (I don't always have my phone with me.... I actually like getting away from it from time to time.
(Unfiltered) Pics or it didn't happen.

(Unfiltered) Pics or it didn't happen.
I already posted pics that demonstrate the variety of colors a sunset can create without filters or editing. Your insistence that I provide more pics is moot and childish. More evidence of what I said in post #18

• Face Palm
Reactions: jjvw
I already posted pics that demonstrate the variety of colors a sunset can create without filters or editing. Your insistence that I provide more pics is moot and childish. More evidence of what I said in post #18
Quit being stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: Kid Mechanic
This is a photography method called HDR, in which multiple exposures are captured and merged (with software) allowing an image to capture incredible detail and color in the foreground and background. In a case like the winning image, with the bright background you'd typically lose the detail and color in the foreground.

I believe that is why there are comments about it flirting with the rules.

Just to be clear, I have no dog in the fight and the ship has sailed, however it could be the reason there's frustration.

Last edited:
Reactions: SvtLdr
This is a photography method called HDR, in which multiple exposures are captured and merged allowing an image to capture incredible detail and color in the foreground and background. In a case like the winning image, with the bright background you'd typically lose the detail and color in the foreground.

Just to be clear, I have no dog in the fight and the ship has sailed, however it could be the reason there's frustration.
Admittedly I don't know much about how all that works, I'm a point an shoot picture taker. Zoom, panoramic, and flash on/off is about all I care to use.

As for the rules, which particular rule would HDR be flirting with?

1. Do not submit photos taken with your phone using portrait mode (up and down). These photos are unusable for the Ride of the Month forum banner, and it's simply bad practice to begin with. If you submit a photo like this, I will delete it and it will not be included in the contest.
  2. Photoshop is only allowed when it's done to clean-up the photo. Do not use Photoshop to your TJ in a place it never really was (a scenic backdrop for instance), or put things in the photo that were never there to begin with.
  3. Do not use Instagram style photo filters, it's tacky and unrefined. Leave that to the teens and tweens that use Instagram please.
  4. No pandering for votes. What this means is that if I find out you sent a private message to dozens of people asking them to vote for your photo, I will remove your submission from the contest. Let people vote naturally, this isn't politics, it's a simple contest to see who can take the best photo.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Starrs and jjvw
2. Photoshop is only allowed when it's done to clean-up the photo. Do not use Photoshop to your TJ in a place it never really was (a scenic backdrop for instance), or put things in the photo that were never there to begin with.
My guess would be this one, but as I said I am just assuming that's the issue at all - I haven't asked. HDR is combining a bunch of detail from a bunch of photos to populate one photo that never actually existed (the human eye is different). Though it is increasingly common that cameras can do some version of HDR without any manual intervention (I've not seen them this good at it before though!).

It's an impressive image, no doubt about it.

Reactions: reddvltj
normal-service2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I always thought it was ROTM?!

My wife is awesome with photo-shop. I could even have her put our Jeep in the shot! What landscape would you like to see?
Post a pic of the wife and we'll go from there.

This is a photography method called HDR, in which multiple exposures are captured and merged (with software) allowing an image to capture incredible detail and color in the foreground and background. In a case like the winning image, with the bright background you'd typically lose the detail and color in the foreground.

I have zero issue with it since the vast majority of the pics are of modified rigs so if you can modify a rig, why not a pic? It isn't like they will win every month any way even IF there are pic shenanigans.

I am however, quite pleased I didn't offer to do a ROTY gift package. Well maybe not since it saves on shipping and packaging to just go ahead and send it to this guy.

All that said, does anyone have a copy of the rules as to how the picture is created and presented so we know how much flirting was done?