Congratulations to MagnumV8, the December 2021 Ride of the Month (ROTM)

Better for sure! For me, I think I would have done the crop more like this and added some bokeh before stylizing to get the feel you were going for (pardon my correction attempt, I only have a 12 year old copy of Corel on work laptop!).
View attachment 300138
Edited McLaren 2.jpg

...and get rid of the houses.

;)

...and get rid of the houses.

;)
Haha yeah, but I was trying to work with what was already there and not put it "in a place it never really was" :)

Again - another example of how composition and framing are as important (if not more) in a photo than anything we can possibly do in a light room!

Haha yeah, but I was trying to work with what was already there and not put it "in a place it never really was" :)

Again - another example of how composition and framing are as important (if not more) in a photo than anything we can possibly do in a light room!
Hobbyist Photographer here. Just about every great photo I have of my rig I've doctored in some fashion. Usually, to remove things from the background. I believe that as long as you are not trying to make the rig appear to do something it has never actually done, I'm fine with those types of adjustments. That includes color enhancements, and the like - my opinion.

Here is one of my all-time favorite shots - coming down White Knuckle on Behind the Rocks in Moab. I post this thing everywhere.

EJS - White Knuckle 8x10.jpg

Here is the original:

IMG_8397.jpg

Take a close look and you will get a kick out of one of my "exclusions..." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only rule of ROTM is there are no rules!

Meh. It’s a internet forum contest. There are much more important things that I could worry about. Even with the most elaborate filters, I don’t have mountains in my pic to filter. Even with my best most filtered pic, I’d come in a close 17th place
85AE0CA0-2397-43E5-A153-86316AC4D6C3.jpeg

C42567A3-B2C2-4FA0-BAC2-CCAC24BB8575.jpeg

Reactions: RINC and Starrs
Having been a serious hobby photographer, there are few photos that aren't altered to become magnificent photos. This pre-dates the digital era as well. Wedding photographers (I used to do that too) always frame large so they can crop what they want. They would dodge and burn in the film days to get the desired outcome of the photo. Rarely, and I mean very rarely, does a photographer get an absolutely stunning photo simply by pushing a button. There is always some type of editing done. In today's world of technology, it is incredibly easy to make a stunning photograph with very easy and simple editing.

I am glad Chris is making this change to the rules. This months winning photo is SUPERB!
Dang I wanted to be the first to use "dodge and burn." The magic is in the darkroom.

I’ll edit the rules to allow filters, as long as they are tasteful and don’t do much other than enhance the colors of the photos.

Every single camera, digital or analog, "enhances" the colors in one way or the other :) Lenses, films, digital sensors, post-processing (analog or digital) all alter the reality in different ways. Photos cannot and will not capture what the eyes (and the brain) sees, it is all artificial in that sense. Even our memories alter our reality of what we saw and what we think we saw.

What matters is whether the photo looks nice. And there will always be a subjective element to that.

Every single camera, digital or analog, "enhances" "interprets" the colors in one way or the other :) Lenses, films, digital sensors, post-processing (analog or digital) all alter the reality in different ways. Photos cannot and will not capture what the eyes (and the brain) sees, it is all artificial in that sense. Even our memories alter our reality of what we saw and what we think we saw.

What matters is whether the photo looks nice. And there will always be a subjective element to that.
FIFY, but agree 100% :)

#noextrafilter :) Pretty sure whatever captured that did some post processing, My pixel phone does this and I have an option to get both the original image and the processed one (which usually looks nicer).

But .. that is nice composition/framing from your side and it is a great photo.

#noextrafilter :) Pretty sure whatever captured that did some post processing, My pixel phone does this and I have an option to get both the original image and the processed one (which usually looks nicer).

But .. that is nice composition/framing from your side and it is a great photo.
It does, Samsung does that pretty heavily.