Congratulations to MagnumV8, the December 2021 Ride of the Month (ROTM)

... Your winning pic was edited, so enough with the hypocrisy... Get the fuck over it!!!

Barely. And well within the confines of the rules at the time.

Remember, you are the guy who forcefully demonstrated from the very start of this mess you created that you can't tell the difference between your own unaltered phone pics and a greatly enhanced, layered image. That was before you acknowledged you know nothing about photography.

You do know that when I christened you a photography expert I was joking, right?

• Face Palm
Reactions: reddvltj
#noextrafilter :) Pretty sure whatever captured that did some post processing, My pixel phone does this and I have an option to get both the original image and the processed one (which usually looks nicer).

But .. that is nice composition/framing from your side and it is a great photo.
Our DSLR will create a RAW file in addition to a more immediately presentable photo.

Hobbyist Photographer here. Just about every great photo I have of my rig I've doctored in some fashion. Usually, to remove things from the background. I believe that as long as you are not trying to make the rig appear to do something it has never actually done, I'm fine with those types of adjustments. That includes color enhancements, and the like - my opinion.

Here is one of my all-time favorite shots - coming down White Knuckle on Behind the Rocks in Moab. I post this thing everywhere.

View attachment 300143

Here is the original:

View attachment 300142

Take a close look and you will get a kick out of one of my "exclusions..." :rolleyes:
Jerry had a few of those that were taken the day we drug him out of Sledge.

Every single camera, digital or analog, "enhances" the colors in one way or the other :) Lenses, films, digital sensors, post-processing (analog or digital) all alter the reality in different ways. Photos cannot and will not capture what the eyes (and the brain) sees, it is all artificial in that sense. Even our memories alter our reality of what we saw and what we think we saw.

What matters is whether the photo looks nice. And there will always be a subjective element to that.
Interestingly, we camped in JV a few years with a gent and his wife who worked for HP on the copier side. They related that depending on what market the copier was intended for, the colors would be altered to be more on the red or blue side of the tonal range because that is what they expected to see.

Reactions: psrivats
Interestingly, we camped in JV a few years with a gent and his wife who worked for HP on the copier side. They related that depending on what market the copier was intended for, the colors would be altered to be more on the red or blue side of the tonal range because that is what they expected to see.

That is fascinating.

Wonder if phone/TV companies do something similar with their LCD screens as well. I know the PC gaming crowd has very specific things they look for.

That is fascinating.

Wonder if phone/TV companies do something similar with their LCD screens as well. I know the PC gaming crowd has very specific things they look for.
@mrblaine is correct - most adjust to what their market(s) "expect" to see, not necessarily what they should see. For example, most computer monitors and handheld devices default to 6500ºK but even there they tend to be slightly warmer (closer to 6000-5500ºK) than natural. This is of course mostly the case in North America where "warm tones" are the norm. Broadcasting standards in many Asian countries is (or was? not sure if that has changed) >9000ºK, resulting in a blue tint. As a result, many office workers in Asia tend to adjust their computer monitors to reflect the "norm" in their head, which is usually bluish. Print publishers shoot for slightly warm, ~5000ºK. Household and commercial printers tend to do the same.

Same thing happened during the film days. Film was sold in different white balances, though most of which was "outdoor" or "daylight" (~5500ºK). You could "adjust" color balance by shifting exposure slightly (though of course, that affected exposure levels, which had to be adjusted in the lightroom). Even within similar temperature scales, differences in how film produced and balanced tones, depth, richness, etc led many to have become fans of one particular lineup (such as the famous Kodachrome, but also others such as Fuji Velvia for demanding photogs).

Many moons ago I was doing a lot of photo editing; I was doing photography on the side (I loved it, but simply got too busy with babies, M.S. degree, and ever increasing work responsibilities). Many monitors back then - even expensive ones - sucked compared to today. It wasn't uncommon for a amature photographer to process a handful of photos, only to be blown away at how awful they looked once they arrived back from the printers. This eventually led to "color correction" hardware and software that allowed users to use standardized color and grey swatches presented on-screen to adjust their OSB settings to reflect what was actually captured in the camera.

All this camera and film talk makes me want to go find my packed up F4 and get some 400H rolls just for nostalgia sake, but the shutter is bouncing some and parts are - or at least were - hard to get back in the early 2000's when I switched to digital... maybe it's time to see if I can finally snag a used F100 to mess around with!

Last edited:
@mrblaine is correct - most adjust to what their market(s) "expect" to see, not necessarily what they should see. For example, most computer monitors and handheld devices default to 6500ºK but even there they tend to be slightly warmer (closer to 6000-5500ºK) than natural. This is of course mostly the case in North America where "warm tones" are the norm. Broadcasting standards in many Asian countries is (or was? not sure if that has changed) >9000ºK, resulting in a blue tint. As a result, many office workers in Asia tend to adjust their computer monitors to reflect the "norm" in their head, which is usually bluish. Print publishers shoot for slightly warm, ~5000ºK. Household and commercial printers tend to do the same.

Same thing happened during the film days. Film was sold in different white balances, though most of which was "outdoor" or "daylight" (~5500ºK). You could "adjust" color balance by shifting exposure slightly (though of course, that affected exposure levels, which had to be adjusted in the lightroom). Even within similar temperature scales, differences in how film produced and balanced tones, depth, richness, etc led many to have become fans of one particular lineup (such as the famous Kodachrome, but also others such as Fuji Velvia for demanding photogs).

Many moons ago I was doing a lot of photo editing; I was doing photography on the side (I loved it, but simply got too busy with babies, M.S. degree, and ever increasing work responsibilities). Many monitors back then - even expensive ones - sucked compared to today. It wasn't uncommon for a amature photographer to process a handful of photos, only to be blown away at how awful they looked once they arrived back from the printers. This eventually led to "color correction" hardware and software that allowed users to use standardized color and grey swatches presented on-screen to adjust their OSB settings to reflect what was actually captured in the camera.

All this camera and film talk makes me want to go find my packed up F4 and get some 400H rolls just for nostalgia sake, but the shutter is bouncing some and parts are - or at least were - hard to get back in the early 2000's when I switched to digital... maybe it's time to see if I can finally snag a used F100 to mess around with!

You have explained a long standing mystery for me.

All through grad school (and even at work today to a small extent), I frequently saw some Asian students use those color tint screens (that they would carry with them) on the school monitors. Initially I thought they were just 3M polarizing filters for privacy, but then I realized it was just a color filter. I asked someone eventually and they just said "to avoid headaches" and I left it at that. But what you have described above makes much better sense and it is pretty fascinating.

For home use, I got a good 27" matte IPS monitor (and it was expensive) few years ago and my photog friend came with his Sypder calibration stuff and helped set it up properly. It is a pleasure to use. At work they gave me one of those cheap "high contrast" glossy screen monitors and the reflections irritated me to the point that I bought my own monitors for work as well. 24" but I have two of of them. I don't do any color sensitive work but since I spend a lot of time in front of the monitors I wanted good ones.

LCD/OLED monitors have come a very long way and you can good really good ones for not much money these days. I work in the semiconductor industry (thought not in the display segment) and it's crazy to see the progress in the last 10-15 years.

Last edited:
I work in the semiconductor industry (thought not in the display segment) and it's crazy to see the progress in the last 10-15 years.
Based on your Oregon location, you in the Hillsboro area? :)

Ok new rules, every entry must be taken on @Zorba’s camera

View attachment 300075
As long as it wasn't taken on a smartphone whose owner doesn't have the brains to turn the fucking thing sideways, its all good.
DCP_0420.JPG

LOL .. yep. No surprises there :ROFLMAO:
Hah - nope!

I've been to the campus up there many times and with many different groups. When I started in the semiconductor world, it was wet chemistry. Later and most recently, high-purity gases (your N2 comes from our former ASU across the street). I used to chuckle when I would go to Longbottom for lunch and look across the parking lot at the Rinchem storage lot and see the chemistry I helped co-create years earlier. It is crazy how bad the traffic is up there nowadays - worse than my travels through LA!

Hah - nope!

I've been to the campus up there many times and with many different groups. When I started in the semiconductor world, it was wet chemistry. Later and most recently, high-purity gases (your N2 comes from our former ASU across the street). I used to chuckle when I would go to Longbottom for lunch and look across the parking lot at the Rinchem storage lot and see the chemistry I helped co-create years earlier. It is crazy how bad the traffic is up there nowadays - worse than my travels through LA!

Small world :) I am in high volume manufacturing R&D (EE side though). But I work with a lot of process engineers, both front end and back end. More than the traffic .. you should look up the real estate here. It is bonkers after covid WFH.

Reactions: pc1p
Small world :) I am in high volume manufacturing R&D (EE side though). But I work with a lot of process engineers, both front end and back end. More than the traffic .. you should look up the real estate here. It is bonkers after covid WFH.
The real estate was crazy even well before COVID! It was nice seeing it expand up there and actually have a few good places to eat at, including some good Indian and pho options, but it seemed to slingshot in ~2015-2016 and doesn't look like it slowed down since...

I always wondered who the f*%^ bought Sony SLRs and Zunes... at least now half the mystery is solved!
Those of us with several thousand bucks worth of Minolta glass. This ain't a smartphone, I'm not into throwing away money. But I don't know what a "Zune" is...

Reactions: DrDmoney
I'm not that SKILLED so I have no clue. But like I'd stated a while ago if people had issue with the photo it should have been brought up BEFORE the end of the month not after the fact. Again that is just my opinion.
I think everyone knew it was altered. I didn’t even enter bc I knew it would win. The contest is more about how you can manipulate photos than the photo itself. I had a photo kicked out about a year and a half ago because the claim was I modified it. Actually I hadn’t. I didn’t even take the photo. The guy used some kind of filter that fades out the background when he took the pic. 🤷‍♂️, but there’s not much use in me entering this contest anymore.

I think everyone knew it was altered. I didn’t even enter bc I knew it would win. The contest is more about how you can manipulate photos than the photo itself. I had a photo kicked out about a year and a half ago because the claim was I modified it. Actually I hadn’t. I didn’t even take the photo. The guy used some kind of filter that fades out the background when he took the pic. 🤷‍♂️, but there’s not much use in me entering this contest anymore.
Kinda how I feel. If you don't have mountains and a sunset, you're out. Apparently, now you need to be a pro editor. I will still throw a decent picture in once in a while, fall colors or a big blue lake, but my hopes of ever winning have long set sail.

Kinda how I feel. If you don't have mountains and a sunset, you're out. Apparently, now you need to be a pro editor. I will still throw a decent picture in once in a while, fall colors or a big blue lake, but my hopes of ever winning have long set sail.
The OP is @Chris.

The Photo winner is out on a grand adventure in the Himalaya’s getting great shots of his… Jeep.

Just post up photo’s of your badass rig with a list of the mods while sitting in the driveway.
Unless it’s all about the location and not the ride.

Reactions: pc1p, JMT and L J