Considering switching out my winch cable to synthetic rope

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
Would these ebay product be a good upgrade replacement? Besides the mount and rope do I need to add anything else to my recovery kit outside the typical recovery straps, hooks and locking clips.

Here are the rope I'm considering.
Screenshot_20191224-102137_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20191224-102240_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20191224-102039_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20191224-101931_eBay.jpg

For a synthetic rope meant for use on a Jeep you need a 3/8" diameter. Yes a 5/16" may technically be strong enough but synthetic rope is not as resistant to abrasion as wire rope is so you absolutely need the additional safety margin given by a 3/8" synthetic rope. It's real hard to beat the synthetic rope sold at https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product-category/synthetic-winch-rope/

Last edited:
Reactions: EJD
Looks like most of what you listed is for ATVs. All synthetic line is not created equal. Like @jjvw mentioned above--go TRE and you won't be disappointed.

For a synthetic rope meant for use on a Jeep you need a 3/8" diameter. Yes a 5/16" may technically be strong enough but synthetic rope is not as resistant to abrasion as wire rope is so you absolutely need the additional safety margin given by a 3/8" synthetic rope.
I’ve ran 5/16 Amsteel Blue on a previous jeep with XD9000 winch for years without issue. But the added strength of 3/8” wouldn’t hurt

I’ve ran 5/16 Amsteel Blue on a previous jeep with XD9000 winch for years without issue. But the added strength of 3/8” wouldn’t hurt
Ok but 5/16" synthetic is not recommended. That's the absolute bare minimum and if you get into a situation where it might have to rub over something in a bad situation then it might just ruin someone's entire day.

Reactions: jjvw
Ok but 5/16" synthetic is not recommended. That's the absolute bare minimum and if you get into a situation where it might have to rub over something in a bad situation then it might just ruin someone's entire day.
I’m not going to disagree with that.

While on the topic, I wonder how much real world difference in strength there is between a quality synthetic rope like Amsteel Blue versus the much cheaper no name brands that seem to be all over ebay and Amazon

For a synthetic rope meant for use on a Jeep you need a 3/8" diameter. Yes a 5/16" may technically be strong enough but synthetic rope is not as resistant to abrasion as wire rope is so you absolutely need the additional safety margin given by a 3/8" synthetic rope. It's real hard to beat the synthetic rope sold at https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product-category/synthetic-winch-rope/

And it even comes in purple!! :D Just wish I could justify paying almost 400 bucks for it. LOL I better stick with something on the cheaper side. :D Maybe I'll get a common color and then dye it. LOL

Here is 3/8 synthetic rope I'm considering.
Since TRE synthetic rope was 3x the cost I want to spend under $100 for this upgrade.
Has anyone purchased these product from ebay and can give us review before we buy this product.

Screenshot_20191224-160042_eBay.jpg

Those breaking strength numbers don't quite match up to common materials used for winch lines. The ATV designation doesn't bother me. The ATV folks will eat that up since most of them want 3/4" shackle rated gear anyway for their 4000 lb winches.

The 2/5" stuff does sorta make sense because that is larger than 3/8" and Dyneema and similar really jump up in strength when the diameter increases even slightly. MP used to do that or may still. They used 10mm instead of 3/8", marketed it as higher strength and sold it as 3/8". .393 versus .375, or about the same as 2/5".

i have seen auxmart and warn consistently at the top of the list on quite a few reviews.

• Haha
Reactions: twistedlv
Anyone reviewing Warn synthetic favorably isn't paying attention and I'm a big fan of Warn.

i'll take your word for it. i've not dug deeper than reviews. but would like to shed some weight from my M8, b4 it's mounted.

you made me dig.
is it the over wrapped core that prevents proper splicing? and this would apply to any similarly configured rope?
also i now notice the warn is rated for slightly less than the 2:1 rating recommendation.

Last edited:
i'll take your word for it. i've not dug deeper than reviews. but would like to shed some weight from my M8, b4 it's mounted.

what attributes would you favor for this type of line? or are you comfortable recommending 1 over others?
I'm always comfortable with TRE. You are looking for the correct length first and foremost. Just because it is synthetic doesn't mean it can't stack up on a side pull and damage the rope or blow the winch up. Winch lines are generally based around 5/16" diameter for capacity. Warn has overlooked that when you move to 3/8", you have to change the length or the drum winds up too full with no margin for a side pull.

You don't want any sleeve or sliding "abrasion" guard. They bunch up, aren't abrasion guards, and they add bulk which reduces capacity.

You want the typical 12 strand braid. It has a good hand, isn't too soft and floppy, isn't too stiff and unwieldy.

Typically the higher strength rated versions of the Dyneema fiber are more than ample for our uses.

Avoid the stamped sheet metal thimbles. They collapse under load and subject the eye of the rope to bending loads that violate the minimum radius rules for full strength.

If you aren't going to use the Safety Thimble with the radiused eye for soft shackles, then get a heavy duty tube thimble for the hook or just run it by itself with a soft shackle.

Don't worry about the attachment to the drum. Most get confused over what that does which is nothing more than hold the end until the wraps on the drum provide enough friction to pull against. The anchor does not do that except on the later Warn drums.

Make sure your winch can use rope---after talking to a tech rep at Superwinch, he told me my model will transmit to much heat to the rope so don't install it-—--I found this out after buying my winch. later models are ok