Control Arm Replacements

Here’s a picture of mine with that exact shock and 4” lift.

7E743D08-1F52-4BEC-AF55-4D761547ED87.jpeg

Reactions: someguysjeep
we really need someone to chime in here that knows more than what i can offer.
the shock seems to be offset but i'm still not sure if that could be responsible for what you describe unless the offset is so far it's messing with the way the compression balances or if your topping out the shock and feeling that.

the shock seems to be offset but i'm still not sure if that could be responsible for what you describe unless the offset is so far it's messing with the way the compression balances or if your topping out the shock and feeling that.
Indeed. If the lift is 4” and the control arm is set right, then I’m not understanding why there would be so much shock exposed. I don’t even have a winch.

I appreciate you trying to help. It wasn’t this way until I had the new CA’s and ball joints installed. Not that it has anything to do with this - BUT - it would be a big coincidence that this shock/bounciness tarted right after I had all of this done.

The first thing I noticed when I picked it up was that the front end seems to be sitting higher. I have no clue what would have changed the ride height.

Hopefully someone else can chime in!

Here’s a picture of mine with that exact shock and 4” lift.

View attachment 232065
This is what mine looked like BEFORE I had the CA’s installed. I can’t figure out why the change would have happened. CA’s don’t change the height - only axle orientation. I installed 3 adjustable front CA’s last weekend, and then had the 4th put on by a shop because I couldn’t get the last one lined up to get the bolt in.... The only other work I’ve had done besides the CA’s is new ball joints.

I’m at a loss as to why the ride height has changed after all of this.

This is what mine looked like BEFORE I had the CA’s installed. I can’t figure out why the change would have happened. CA’s don’t change the height - only axle orientation. I installed 3 adjustable front CA’s last weekend, and then had the 4th put on by a shop because I couldn’t get the last one lined up to get the bolt in.... The only other work I’ve had done besides the CA’s is new ball joints.

I’m at a loss as to why the ride height has changed after all of this.
What is the length of your control arms now? Measure it bolt to bolt.

ok lets think......... the shock is on the backside of the axle, if the pinions to low the shock side of the axle would also be lower and it'd extend to reach..................is this possible?

Reactions: bobthetj03
ok lets think......... the shock is on the backside of the axle, if the pinions to low the shock side of the axle would also be lower and it'd extend to reach..................is this possible?

This is well outside my realm as well. But since I have a 4” lift and the same shock, we can compare his measurements to mine and see in control arm length can change shock travel. Doesn’t seem like it could, but it may. We have at least 3 data points. 1) it wasn’t like this using stock control arms (and we know that length) 2) my data points which appear to be 50/50 based on exposed length and 3) what he has now. Part of my wonders if the mechanic made it shorter than stock.

Also, if the pinion has been rotated that much, the springs will be arched more. Maybe that could change ride height?

What is the length of your control arms now? Measure it bolt to bolt.

Bolt-to-Bolt front/lowers are at 16”, front/uppers are at 15 1/4”.

I remeasured my coil springs, and the fronts are measuring ~18” which is equal to about 6” lift, and rears are measuring at ~12” equal to about a 4” lift. When I first bought the jeep both front/back were measuring at 4” lift height. Something has def changed in the front.

you can see from this pic taken today that the front is sitting noticeably higher. I can’t stress enough that it was not like this before. It was sitting level before I had the new CA’s installed.

03900F80-B366-47BB-BFA4-D7BBFE3D20CE.jpeg

Sorry, at this juncture I’m not sure. My lowers are fixed at 16.25 and front upper is stock. I’m not sure at all what’s going on with the springs. I’ll keep watch as I’m interested what’s driving this.

Reactions: Breto31
was the jeep plated on the ground when the CA's bolts got tightened?
It was on the ground when I installed the 2 front/lowers and 1 driver side/upper. Can’t say for sure about when the mechanic put on the passenger side upper.I was having trouble getting the axle pulled back to align in the upper hole (towards the back of the jeep) so I had a mechanic do that one. Plus I had a rounded out bolt.

You need to loosen all the mounting bolts, bounce on the Jeep a couple times and then tighten them back up. I bet the bushings are in a bind.

I’ll try this later this week when I have some time. It drives fine, just the front end seems bouncy and I noticed that the shocks were extended more than they had been.