Control arms: Which ones should be adjustable?

bluejeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2006 LJ rubicon

I'm installing 4" lift springs (actually 4.5") and see I have a choice of front control arms on the market.

case 1 - I'm tentatively looking at fixed length lowers (it states they are a length for a 4" lift) and upper adjustable arms for caster correction. I assume the fixed length will center the bumpstop adequately on the pad. I like the 'dog leg' style for increased clearance

case 2 - I see I also have the choice of going with adjustable lowers (I assume to center the bumpstop as well as play with caster) and either fixed or adjustable uppers.

Is there any reason to go with either case 1 or case 2?

ps - I have a Nth Degree stinger on the back axle so don't need uppers, and I do the pinion angle adjusting differently. Looking at getting the 'dog leg' style for a 4" lift on the back axle as well

If I go with case 1, before I buy I would find out the length of the fixed lowers (front and back) and check if they are close to what I need to center the bumps

Id go with adjustable. Especially on the front as you can now center your bumpstops at full bump. Plus you can position your axle enough to clear your trackbar (if you have a larger diff cover).

I dont have the Nth setup on the rear (though I was just diving into that in another thread), and I think you would still want adjustable. The dog leg to me seems to take away clearance. Especially at full bump.

All of them should be adjustable. If you're messing with your suspension height and geometry, there is no reason for all of them to not be adjustable. That way you can dial in everything exactly and fine tune if necessary.

All arms and track bars should be adjustable. Especially at 4" of spring lift.

Again. All arms adjustable. Top arms double adjustable if you want to have easy way to dial in any changes you may make. Not necessary, but convenient.