Convoy soft top for LJ

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Why don't you go do the product development for that top, invest your own capital, draw the design, make multiple patterns, work out all the bugs, source materials that will stand up to the sun, find window material more resistant to scratching than OEM, invest more time and money developing the market for the product, then find a factory to manufacture it to your standards and negotiate the morass of government regulations of multiple jurisdictions to get the product into customers' hands?

Then come back and tell us how overpriced it is.

The top isn't overpriced. You are under monied.
And you didn't even mention amortizing the development investment over the likely small demand for these tops - companies that decide to develop new products for a vehicle that's declining in numbers (and declining in the number of people willing to spend money on them) have to consider the development cost and how they'll recover that.

If he thinks he'll sell 100 of them over the next couple of years, the cost of each top has to include the money he spent on development / 100 in amortization cost, not to mention the cost of production, cost of marketing, etc.

It's a wonder we get any new products for the TJ at all these days given all the costs that go into developing a new product and getting it to market.

I talked with Greg during the development process and he's used top of the line premium materials - he's done a remarkable job on this top, it's very high quality and fits very well. In my opinion it's worth what he has to charge for it.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur
Supporting Member
. . . If he thinks he'll sell 100 of them over the next couple of years, the cost of each top has to include the money he spent on development / 100 in amortization cost, not to mention the cost of production, cost of marketing, etc.

Now you're making me feel guilty for being on the waiting list for one of Greg's tops, then deciding to keep my hard top.

mrblaine

Easter Bunny
Supporting Member
And you didn't even mention amortizing the development investment over the likely small demand for these tops - companies that decide to develop new products for a vehicle that's declining in numbers (and declining in the number of people willing to spend money on them) have to consider the development cost and how they'll recover that.

If he thinks he'll sell 100 of them over the next couple of years, the cost of each top has to include the money he spent on development / 100 in amortization cost, not to mention the cost of production, cost of marketing, etc.

It's a wonder we get any new products for the TJ at all these days given all the costs that go into developing a new product and getting it to market.

I talked with Greg during the development process and he's used top of the line premium materials - he's done a remarkable job on this top, it's very high quality and fits very well. In my opinion it's worth what he has to charge for it.
The dark side of that is circumventing development costs after the fact by buying one, shipping it out to get reverse engineered and then listening to all the fuckwits tell you how awesome competition is for the market.

Artsifrtsi

I just wanna go wheeling...
Supporting Member
I wonder how that would look on a TJ (assuming they made one for same)...
1603299586468.png

Reactions: TheGanzman

AussieNick

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m selling my LJ American Convoy top if anyone on this thread is interested.

Last edited: