Coolant spraying

Bgrzenia

Hey guys! I recently went on a 300 mile trip, and when I arrived I noticed coolant had sprayed all of the place, and even came out from under the side of the hood. When I opened the hood, the overflow bottle was gurgling and REALLY REALLY full. Also, as you can see, the coolant is looking pretty rust colored. These pics are from after I got back and stopped driving. You can see how full the bottle is, and it was gurgling pretty violently.

- It didn't overheat at all during the 300 miles driven (I live in AZ, it was about 105 outside).
- Around 2k miles ago I replaced the radiator, hoses, and coolant bottle (as well as flushed the coolant).

Anyone know what might be the problem?

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Test the cap. Or just buy a new one. Flush the cooling system again while you are at it. Its gross.

Blown gasket.

What's oil look like?
Agreed, or possibly even a cracked head.

The bubbling is likely blow by from the pistons forcing coolant out of its channels. Once enough is forced out, the water can't effectively be pumped, and it boils in the block and keeps bubbling after the engine is shut off.

That brown color is likely due to oil and water mixing.

Was the radiator cap screwed down all the way to the stops? If it was Is the radiator cap old? If so its spring may be worn out and relieving pressure too soon. It needs to have an 18 lb. pressure rating.

Reactions: Feralkid
Also there is no good reason not to install a new cap anytime you mess with the coolant system. Good to keep a couple new spares as well. Which reminds me.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/snn-10334
Is this the one he seeks?

Or is there one even more supreme?

A cap to rule them all!

Because this one seems like your best bet.

Tough to tell from the pics, but I had coolant all over the front of the engine as well and I finally tracked it down to a bad leak in the water pump shaft - coolant was leaking down the front of the engine, getting on the belt around the crankshaft pulley, & the belt was slinging it all over the place. The coolant was being sprayed on the same plane of rotation as the belt if that makes sense, I can't tell if that's the case with yours.

That overflow bottle looks really full to me, and there’s a little drain off the top back of it. That will somewhat commonly splash and can spray all over when the coolant drains out that overflow, which is more likely when it’s over full.