Correcting Wheel Lift

gasiorv

I'm a new world samurai, and a redneck nonetheless
Supporting Member
I currently love the set-up of my TJ and I pretty much go wherever I expect to and sometimes she even surprises me. She is not a daily driver but drives great (at least to me) on the road and I primarily do rock crawling in the Southeast/Midwest area with dreams to going out west in the next few years. Having said that there is one issue that I would like to correct and that is the tendency to lift the front wheels on climbs. I have had others say to me that my TJ can climb like a goat, but boy does she like to lift the wheels, etc...... and it is an uneasy feeling keeping in the throttle when the front is standing up. I also get a little wheel hop, usually the rocks are so slick in the southeast that when I lose traction it just spins and does not hop, but there has been several occasions where it will get to hopping.

After all my reading on IC and AS, etc..... would a high AS cause the front wheels to lift when climbing steeper hills? It is generally when I am in the throttle a little bit (not pinned, I am still crawling) and the jeep has traction and keeps motoring forward, so it feels like it is torque lifting the wheels. It is generally the front drivers side wheel that is lifting, but it has lifted both. It has done it in obstacles (rocks) as well as just on flat steep climbs.

I currently have a Currie 4" short arm lift (+1" BL), and am very pleased but was wondering if the short arm is causing high AS and causing my wheel lift and slight wheel hop. I have always had a few hundred pounds between people, tools, gear in the back, and I also had a 35" spare tire on the back. I just recently removed the rear spare tire and removed all the gear from the back (don't want to remove people) to try and see if less load in the rear will help, I will hopefully find out this weekend as I will be in Hot Springs ORV park.

My current thoughts have me replacing the short arm with a savvy mid arm in order to try and reduce the AS; however, I don't want to just make a change hoping it will help with the wheel lift and slight hop, especially when I like the current setup.

I know that this forum as well as others all discuss long arm vs short arm vs mid arm and AS, AD, IC, etc...... and I have read most all of them which has me leaning toward the fact that a mid-arm may correct my wheel lifting issue (and slight hop) and allow me to stay on my current 4" lift and 35" tires which is where I am comfortable and want to be for the time being. But again, just don't want to spend the time and money if my thought process if flawed.

Reactions: JMT
Weight and lifted short arm geometry are the main causes of what you are experiencing. When I was in Moab with a hard top and full doors, the front liked to get real tippy on climbs. Even with the weight removed on my following trip to Moab, it didn't climb all that great as it liked to bounce instead of climb.

I would first get wheeling without the extra weight. It will make a huge difference. The mid arm should correct most of the things you are experiencing if the weight reduction doesn't get you where you want to be.

Do you air down? If so, to what PSI? If not, I highly recommend giving it a try. In my experience, overinflated tires can spin and hop.

Great weekend at Hot Springs ORV park. Jeep did great. I think I could definitely tell a difference with all the weight removed; however, she still lifted the wheels on steep climbs, no bouncing curing climbs, just lifted and kept on powering up the hill. The only time she really bounces is when trying to get up over ledges. We ran 14 Level 4 and 5 trails, picked good lines, never pulled cable,and didn't break anything (other than a rear sway bar link). Dry trails are nice!!

Reactions: Ron505
just don't want to spend the time and money if my thought process if flawed.
Nobody knows the mid-arm better than Blaine, send him a PM or call Black Magic Brakes and talk to him about it. If there is anybody that is going to give you a straight answer about what it can and can't do for you it's Blaine.

I currently love the set-up of my TJ and I pretty much go wherever I expect to and sometimes she even surprises me. She is not a daily driver but drives great (at least to me) on the road and I primarily do rock crawling in the Southeast/Midwest area with dreams to going out west in the next few years. Having said that there is one issue that I would like to correct and that is the tendency to lift the front wheels on climbs. I have had others say to me that my TJ can climb like a goat, but boy does she like to lift the wheels, etc...... and it is an uneasy feeling keeping in the throttle when the front is standing up. I also get a little wheel hop, usually the rocks are so slick in the southeast that when I lose traction it just spins and does not hop, but there has been several occasions where it will get to hopping.

After all my reading on IC and AS, etc..... would a high AS cause the front wheels to lift when climbing steeper hills? It is generally when I am in the throttle a little bit (not pinned, I am still crawling) and the jeep has traction and keeps motoring forward, so it feels like it is torque lifting the wheels. It is generally the front drivers side wheel that is lifting, but it has lifted both. It has done it in obstacles (rocks) as well as just on flat steep climbs.

I currently have a Currie 4" short arm lift (+1" BL), and am very pleased but was wondering if the short arm is causing high AS and causing my wheel lift and slight wheel hop. I have always had a few hundred pounds between people, tools, gear in the back, and I also had a 35" spare tire on the back. I just recently removed the rear spare tire and removed all the gear from the back (don't want to remove people) to try and see if less load in the rear will help, I will hopefully find out this weekend as I will be in Hot Springs ORV park.

My current thoughts have me replacing the short arm with a savvy mid arm in order to try and reduce the AS; however, I don't want to just make a change hoping it will help with the wheel lift and slight hop, especially when I like the current setup.

I know that this forum as well as others all discuss long arm vs short arm vs mid arm and AS, AD, IC, etc...... and I have read most all of them which has me leaning toward the fact that a mid-arm may correct my wheel lifting issue (and slight hop) and allow me to stay on my current 4" lift and 35" tires which is where I am comfortable and want to be for the time being. But again, just don't want to spend the time and money if my thought process if flawed.
Did you ever solve this? I noticed when I moved to 4”+1.25” that onroad when I’m turning left and giving it gas, the front driver side lifts. It’s not off the ground, just wondering how much of this is geometry related and how much is torque related.

Did you ever solve this? I noticed when I moved to 4”+1.25” that onroad when I’m turning left and giving it gas, the front driver side lifts. It’s not off the ground, just wondering how much of this is geometry related and how much is torque related.
The only change I have made is removing the weight from the rear. Removing the weight was a noticeable difference and I am happy I did it but she will still lift a wheel(s) in the steep. For now I am happy with my short arm and don't plan on making any major changes in the near future. When I do make changes, I believe I will design and fab my own changes.

Reactions: JMT