Gaining Wheel Base with Savvy's Mid Arm

mattcogdell

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is it possible to gain wheel base with the Savvy Mid Arm? Keeping up with what Jeep West is doing and some others on social media I’ve been noticing builders (average joes) building Tjs with 99-103” wheel base with mid arms (some of which are savvy). Seems as if each has their own little tricks on how they are gaining wheel base.

Reading through the savvy mid arm install write up, it makes it clear that “cheating” wheel base results in several consequences.

So all things aside, what is required to gain wheel base in the rear when using Savvys mid arm?

I just bought an LJ...couple that with some 12" stroke shocks and you have a formidable ride for many places.

Is it possible to gain wheel base with the Savvy Mid Arm? Keeping up with what Jeep West is doing and some others on social media I’ve been noticing builders (average joes) building Tjs with 99-103” wheel base with mid arms (some of which are savvy). Seems as if each has their own little tricks on how they are gaining wheel base.

Reading through the savvy mid arm install write up, it makes it clear that “cheating” wheel base results in several consequences.

So all things aside, what is required to gain wheel base in the rear when using Savvys mid arm?
There are really no tricks. If you want more wheelbase, cut the frame and move the wheel arch back. Bob off what sticks out behind the tub an call it good. I do that for everything from 100ish for 35's in a TJ to 114" on a TJ Unlimited.

How much can you extend the wheelbase on a TJ without major frame mods? I'm thinking LJ and be done with it. I am going to be looking for rebuildable wreck LJ. I kind of want to get away from the Rubicon axles too.

Where are your springs going to go without major frame mods?

That is why I said earlier I would rather use an LJ. I might never feel like I need to extend an LJ, plus I could go to the grocery store and not worry about getting everything to fit. All the extra work and money to get a TJ close to LJ wheelbase would not be worth the time effort.

That is why I said earlier I would rather use an LJ. I might never feel like I need to extend an LJ, plus I could go to the grocery store and not worry about getting everything to fit. All the extra work and money to get a TJ close to LJ wheelbase would not be worth the time effort.
Depends on the build, what you are after. I can get 104" in the TJ tub and chassis without butchering the rear corner panel so it still looks like a TJ from the back. That also eliminates the TJU overhang that you would have with the same wheelbase on that platform. I can do 114" in the TJU with a gas tank under the rig with a RJ 60 and 40" tires.

TJ at 104 on 37's.
DSC_4748.JPG
DSC_4745.JPG

The overhang/departure is an important consideration. I don't see a stretch being a future plan on mine, but something I am consistantly appreciating since my bumper projects earlier this year on my little Jeep is the noticably improved approach and departure. Though that very thing might what allows me to get into the kind of trouble where a stretch starts to be a thing to look at. Right now, I like the idea of a 104" TJ over a 104" LJ

Last edited:
The overhang/departure is an important consideration. I don't see a stretch being a future plan on mine, but something I am consistantly appreciating since my bumper projects earlier this year on my little Jeep is the noticably improved approach and departure. Though that very thing might what allows me to get into the kind of trouble where a stretch starts to be a thing to look at. Right now, I like the idea of a 104" TJ over a 104" LJ
The gas tank is going to be your problem. You can't do 104 with the tank in place or any tank in place that I know of. You may be able to get out to 101ish and that would be something to shoot for.

Reactions: jjvw
Depends on the build, what you are after. I can get 104" in the TJ tub and chassis without butchering the rear corner panel so it still looks like a TJ from the back. That also eliminates the TJU overhang that you would have with the same wheelbase on that platform. I can do 114" in the TJU with a gas tank under the rig with a RJ 60 and 40" tires.

TJ at 104 on 37's.
View attachment 120859View attachment 120860
Are those the rock jock 44s?

There are really no tricks. If you want more wheelbase, cut the frame and move the wheel arch back. Bob off what sticks out behind the tub an call it good. I do that for everything from 100ish for 35's in a TJ to 114" on a TJ Unlimited.
I was speaking with Lee Holaday just recently about this. He mentioned you walked him through this method. His Jeep turned out great.

Personal preference would be keeping the tank under the rig so I’d assume the cut off wheel base would be 100ish to do so.

I was speaking with Lee Holaday just recently about this. He mentioned you walked him through this method. His Jeep turned out great.

Personal preference would be keeping the tank under the rig so I’d assume the cut off wheel base would be 100ish to do so.
Glad to hear it worked out. I've not tried at 100 so I am not sure. I know there are tanks that claim to fit though.