Customer Service

Gollywomper

Professional pot stirrer
Supporting Member
I recently bought some parts for the Jeep. I had a problem with one of the items after installing, but with zero miles on it. Sent an email to the vendor. They quickly sent out a replacement.
HOWEVER, they want the old part back, which is understandable, but they expect me to pay shipping to return the old part.

This really bugs me that they would even ask a customer to pay return shipping on a defective part.

It would bug me having to pay for the shipping to send the defective part back as well. The few times I've had defective parts I have been told to throw them away or the vendor sends me a prepaid shipping label to send it back.

I recently bought some parts for the Jeep. I had a problem with one of the items after installing, but with zero miles on it. Sent an email to the vendor. They quickly sent out a replacement.
HOWEVER, they want the old part back, which is understandable, but they expect me to pay shipping to return the old part.

This really bugs me that they would even ask a customer to pay return shipping on a defective part.
Asking a customer to pay return shipping on a defective item isn't right at all. What company is it?

Counterpoint:

How does the vendor know that it is a defective part until they see it? Does the warranty provide that the purchaser bear the shipping cost to return the product? Most product warranties do, but most consumers don't read the fine print prior to purchase.

Many vendors would require that the alleged defective part be returned first - before sending a replacement. It sounds as if this particular vendor is acting in good faith, depending upon the specific warranty language of course.

Reactions: psrivats
Counterpoint:

How does the vendor know that it is a defective part until they see it? Does the warranty provide that the purchaser bear the shipping cost to return the product? Most product warranties do, but most consumers don't read the fine print prior to purchase.

Many vendors would require that the alleged defective part be returned first - before sending a replacement. It sounds as if this particular vendor is acting in good faith, depending upon the specific warranty language of course.
I sent a video showing what was wrong, asking if what was shown was normal. They replied no it was not and that they sent out a new part right away.

Wasn’t Amazon.
Probably won’t disclose the vendor. It just really bugged me they expect me to ship a defective part back on my dime.

Probably nothing, I have not ordered direct from them, as they are the manufacturer. I ordered from one of their vendors. So they don’t have any billing info. I will email them and give them an opportunity to provide a shipping label if they want the part back. I’m sure they would like to look at it to ensure they do not have any ongoing issues.
It’s kinda a silly thing, but really rubs me the wrong way I guess.

I ordered wheels from American muscle for my mustang probably 7 years ago. When they came in one of the wheels and a little scratch on the lip.. Called them and told them about what I discovered.. the guy was super awesome and had already starting shipping the new one to me within the hr and I received before I actually sent back the scratched one.. and of course they sent me a shipping label for scratched one..... 6 years later I ordered a set of coil spacers ( I thought) from extreme terrain... ( same company owns both). It was only one spacer unlike I thought I expressed to lady that I called to order it from that I needed 2.. called to send it back and get the correct items I needed and they made me pay to ship it back, Wait 7 days and then sent me new item... I wonder if they have gotten burned so many times is why customer service for some of these company’s become a joke?

Probably nothing, I have not ordered direct from them, as they are the manufacturer. I ordered from one of their vendors. So they don’t have any billing info. I will email them and give them an opportunity to provide a shipping label if they want the part back. I’m sure they would like to look at it to ensure they do not have any ongoing issues.
It’s kinda a silly thing, but really rubs me the wrong way I guess.
From the other side, there is nothing good about a returned part. I've paid for returned parts many times. Very few of those times were the parts actually defective. I just got a set of pads back that I paid to have returned 3 months ago. That isn't fair to me, my QC processes, or anything else.

I'm also a customer and I won't return a part without a call tag. I know from selling all the reasons why I should send something back on my dime, I just won't do it.

Again in case it was missed, there is nothing good about a returned part, from either side.

Amazon customer service FTW!
Bullshit. Amazon CS for the win under the right conditions for the right reason or you will pay the return shipping and that rate is never as kind as the one they shipped it to you with. I've actually thrown parts I've purchased that were brand new in the trash rather than pay 20 dollars in return shipping for a 30 dollar item.

Reactions: matkal
Bullshit. Amazon CS for the win under the right conditions for the right reason or you will pay the return shipping and that rate is never as kind as the one they shipped it to you with. I've actually thrown parts I've purchased that were brand new in the trash rather than pay 20 dollars in return shipping for a 30 dollar item.

I've only ever had to pay for a few of the items I returned to Amazon. The ones that didn't fit, were defective, or had other issues, they paid the return shipping every single time.

The only time I ever had to pay return shipping was when it was something I didn't want and I selected the corresponding option from the drop down menu for the "return reason".

I ordered wheels from American muscle for my mustang probably 7 years ago. When they came in one of the wheels and a little scratch on the lip.. Called them and told them about what I discovered.. the guy was super awesome and had already starting shipping the new one to me within the hr and I received before I actually sent back the scratched one.. and of course they sent me a shipping label for scratched one..... 6 years later I ordered a set of coil spacers ( I thought) from extreme terrain... ( same company owns both). It was only one spacer unlike I thought I expressed to lady that I called to order it from that I needed 2.. called to send it back and get the correct items I needed and they made me pay to ship it back, Wait 7 days and then sent me new item... I wonder if they have gotten burned so many times is why customer service for some of these company’s become a joke?
Here is what I know to be true. If I send out a replacement part for whatever reason, the chances of me getting the other part back with or without a call tag are about 30%.

That and some customer's expectations are a bit unrealistic. I got a call from a guy standing by his mail box wanting me to Next Day Air early delivery on a Saturday, replacement 2" long Grade 8 bolts from a nutsert kit. He called at 5 pm my time. When I asked why, he stated that somehow USPS had managed to crush the box and the bolts were missing, just the bolts. The set of washers and nutserts that were in the bag were still there, just the bolts were gone. I told him to go to the store and buy bolts and I gave him the size and grade and refunded the item cost.

Amazon customer service FTW!

I’m with you, over the past decade + I’ve returned countless things to Amazon & I cannot recall one single instance where I paid a penny to do it.

I think they tried to fuck me once on a delivery I never got, that’s when I learned there was no “Your website says it was delivered at 1:52pm on such & such date but it wasn’t there” button. Worse, there’s no way to contact them to alert them of the problem. So I hit the “return” item button & stuck the return shipping label on an empty box & stuck a note in there telling them what happened. I think sometime later they may have tried to stick the charge back on my credit card & I disputed it & resolved it that way, but the memory is fading & I may be mixing up another event.

Either way maybe I’ve just been lucky but they’re by far the easiest vendor I’ve ever dealt with for returns.

Yeah, my household probably spends five figures every year At Amazon. We get our moneys worth out of that Amazon prime membership. I have probably returned dozens of items to these people and I’ve never had to pay shipping. Of course I’ve never chose the option on the return page that says I ordered the wrong part or something. I always choose the option that says defective item or wrong item sent. As far as shipments that they say were delivered but we’re not, there is a way to call these people on the phone if you look on the website hard enough. And they are always very helpful. They won’t do anything until it’s 48 hours past the date it was supposed to have been delivered but then you called them back and they happily refund your money or send out a new part.

I have never been anything but wowed and delighted by Amazon customer service.

Yeah, my household probably spends five figures every year At Amazon. We get our moneys worth out of that Amazon prime membership. I have probably returned dozens of items to these people and I’ve never had to pay shipping. Of course I’ve never chose the option on the return page that says I ordered the wrong part or something. I always choose the option that says defective item or wrong item sent. As far as shipments that they say were delivered but we’re not, there is a way to call these people on the phone if you look on the website hard enough. And they are always very helpful. They won’t do anything until it’s 48 hours past the date it was supposed to have been delivered but then you called them back and they happily refund your money or send out a new part.

I have never been anything but wowed and delighted by Amazon customer service.
I've always been truthful to a fault when choosing the reasons for returning stuff to them which is why I've had to pay to return items. The easy way to find the CS number is to search on Google. Comes right up.

I've only had one "we dropped it off" issue. They started showing pics of the spots the packages landed. I live rural and they put it at the base of the mailbox out by the edge of the road and sent a pic titled- Package was placed in secure location. About the only way it would be less secure out there is if you tossed into the back of a car going by.

Immediately got on the phone and explained to the CS rep if another package was left there, I would cancel all three Prime accounts we have and they could do without our 150 orders a year. Perhaps I should have been a bit less stern with them because now it is a nearly daily easter egg hunt trying to find whatever location fits the driver du jour's sense of what is secure. They have been under the front of Kat's car, around the corner on the elevated walkway, behind the trash cans, under the camper, on the rear bumper of the camper and others.

They will step up and do things to cover issues with 3rd party sellers. I never make or let them do that when it is offered. Comes from being a seller I guess.

I have never returned anything to amazon, but I do my homework and make sure I get it right the first time. I would never call for an overnight shipment for a bolt unless it goes on an airplane and I don’t have one in stock. Home Depot is too close to bother a shipper for stupid things like that.

Amazon just uncovered a return scam in Spain where the customer was filling the returned item boxes with dirt to equal the weight, to the tune of 300K and they were selling the item on the internet.

I have never returned anything to amazon, but I do my homework and make sure I get it right the first time. I would never call for an overnight shipment for a bolt unless it goes on an airplane and I don’t have one in stock. Home Depot is too close to bother a shipper for stupid things like that.
What was a bit baffling is how 6 2" long grade 8 1/2" bolts fall out of a heat sealed plastic bag and 6 washers and 6 nutserts don't.