dsher

Supporting Member
Hello guys

I would to hear your opinion about my problem
first the specs:
Its a 98 TJ wrangler 4.0L 5 SPEED MANUAL and a 4 lift
I bought it with no knowledge about it
when I bought it it had 32 tires with 3.73 dana 35
about 3 months after I bought it my differential started to make a noise at about 55 mph
and a week later it was making noise even at 30 so I took it to a shop and they quote me 500k for a new ring and pinion and a set of bearings
I had no choice since I read is very hard to do it yourself so I fixed it there
it was about 6 months ago (I bought my jeep about 10 months ago)
Right know I'm running 235 75 15 tires (about 29'') my plan is to convert my jeep to almost stock
how ever unfortunately I have several questions about how they did the lift
I don't have stock lengths to compare but I have the suspicion they didn't change
Adjustable Track Bars(I just ordered about 1 week ago), and Adjustable Control Arms
it also doesn't have a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) instead they used a transfer case drop
Anyway based on all that info
2 weeks ago I went to buy some constructions materials and charged on the trunk about 165Lbs
after discharge My differential started to make a noise again
so I lifted it up and it was the rear differential again
but this time it also had the pinion exterior nut loose
so I went to the shop and they tightened it up
After that it was working okay until last Thursday I charged again about 100 LBS
and it started to make a noise again
but this time the nut was ok so they inspected the ring and the pinion and are broken
anyway they told me to buy the ring and pinion and they'll do the rest i ended up buying an svl ring and pinion
but my concern is why the ring is getting damaged would you think is something related about the transfer case drop?
any advice will be highly appreciated
Thanks in advance

When you found the pinion nut loose and the shop retightened the nut; there is a process to retighten the nut. Once the nut is retightened after pinion and ring gear setup; IF done improperly the pinion and ring gear will be damaged after driving the Jeep for a couple hundred miles.
When you load the cargo area of the Jeep with extra weight this will compress the rear springs (unknown spring load rating) and will change the driveshaft angles making the driveshaft vibrate. This could cause the pinion nut to loosen IF it was not torqued properly during setup. ...
With a 4" lift you should have a SYE instead of a transfercase drop to remove driveshaft vibrations.