Dana 30 ball joint

Ole Rusty

Shadetree Mechanic
Lifetime Supporting Member
Replacing a front axle seal and decided to replace u-joints and ball joints while I have it apart since Jeep has 200k and I have no idea when/if they've been replaced. Driver side came apart as expected. Passenger side lower ball joints came out with the knuckle. Is this a sign the axle housing is worn? Or maybe they were replaced before and not fully pressed in? Or it means nothing and reinstall as usual?

PXL_20231222_230132866.jpg

Yeah the c is a little worn.....especially if it has the knurled joints that's how you know she's been ran through to say the least😅

The fix I couldn't tell you,unless they make a set that's a few thousandths bigger but I doubt it but you never know

Reactions: Ole Rusty
So those are all the correct answers.

Now for the I'm broke or leaving tomorrow morning answer...grab the big blue squirt gun...put in five or six healthy tacks...use a carbide burr...or rat tail file if you have four hours...and grind it down to fit.

-Mac

Yeah the c is a little worn.....especially if it has the knurled joints that's how you know she's been ran through to say the least😅

The fix I couldn't tell you,unless they make a set that's a few thousandths bigger but I doubt it but you never know

Yeah she's been around the block a time or two 😅

Reactions: D's Jeep Wrld
Progress update. Found some great advice here on the forum from @mrblaine about dimpling the ball joints. I mirrored the process in that post and used the Loctite 638 as suggested. Before dimpling both upper and lower joints would fit almost all the way in the bore by hand. After dimpling resistance starts close enough to where they should. Finished product feels solid. Once again this forum is awesome.

Last question before I button it up. What's the brass fitting for in the Spicer kit? I'm notorious for asking questions after the fact so hopefully it wasn't step one.

PXL_20240106_160022284.jpg

PXL_20240106_160753900.jpg

PXL_20240106_170611454.jpg

PXL_20240106_170523151.jpg

PXL_20240106_160533495.jpg

You don't need the brass piece, it's for a YJ IIRC, Blaine had also mentioned the dimpling when I made a post about this a few months back. No issues since the installation, and the jeep has gotten quite a few km.

Progress update. Found some great advice here on the forum from @mrblaine about dimpling the ball joints. I mirrored the process in that post and used the Loctite 638 as suggested. Before dimpling both upper and lower joints would fit almost all the way in the bore by hand. After dimpling resistance starts close enough to where they should. Finished product feels solid. Once again this forum is awesome.

Last question before I button it up. What's the brass fitting for in the Spicer kit? I'm notorious for asking questions after the fact so hopefully it wasn't step one.

View attachment 488876

View attachment 488878

View attachment 488879

View attachment 488880

View attachment 488881

Can you post a link to where you found that advice on the ball joints? Might come in handy for me.

View attachment 488876

View attachment 488878

View attachment 488879

View attachment 488880

View attachment 488881

The gold piece is actually steel. Its a preload adjustment sleeve for a different axle.

View attachment 488876

View attachment 488878

View attachment 488879

View attachment 488880

View attachment 488881

Brass isn't magnetic, try it. ;)