Dana 44 diff fluid capacity

Lifted straight six

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all, I am about to change the fluid in my dana 44, i have an open carrier, no locker(used to have ARB till it blew) so I still have an ARB cover. It’s a 2002 TJ, I am just confused on how much fluid I would need, I fear overfilling and it ruining my outer seals, as I just did those about 2 summers ago. My question is… Does anyone know how much fluid the dana 44 with an ARB cover, and open carrier should take? I have read factory is around 2 QTs, do I need to tilt the axles to let the fluid reach the ends? Any help would be much appreciated.

i think i’ll start around 2, because I assume that the ARB cover being bulkier will cause it to need just a little more, overfilling won’t destroy my seals right?
It has a vent tube to allow for expansion- unless its clogged, no,

It runs out of the rear diff and I believe is attached to the fuel fill line.

Also, check how much comes out- unless you pull the cover and tile the axles, about 1/2 a quart stays in them I’ve been told.

Reactions: Lifted straight six
i think i’ll start around 2, because I assume that the ARB cover being bulkier will cause it to need just a little more, overfilling won’t destroy my seals right?
The gear oil also lubes the axle bearings in the 44 (rear). If its overfilled the pressure will blow it out of the diff breather tube and you'll have an outside mess, but the diff will be level with what it needs.

The gear oil also lubes the axle bearings in the 44 (rear). If its overfilled the pressure will blow it out of the diff breather tube and you'll have an outside mess, but the diff will be level with what it needs.
Sweet, that’s what I assumed. Thanks for the help!

It has a vent tube to allow for expansion- unless its clogged, no,

It runs out of the rear diff and I believe is attached to the fuel fill line.

Also, check how much comes out- unless you pull the cover and tile the axles, about 1/2 a quart stays in them I’ve been told.
Yeah, I plan on pulling the cover, to get any excess gunk out, I will probably clean it all out while i’m in there too.

Reactions: AndyG
Do you know what fluid is best for an open diff rear dana 44? i’ve heard mixed things, between 75-90 and 75-140. not sure how big of a difference it is in an open differential.

Do you know what fluid is best for an open diff rear dana 44? i’ve heard mixed things, between 75-90 and 75-140. not sure how big of a difference it is in an open differential.
Former if you don't tow, latter if you do. At least that's what I've always read - but I don't think it really matters all that much.

As long as it's gl5 it doesn't really matter. I've got a bottle of 80-90 on my shelf that I use because it was the cheapest I found. Which reminds me that I need to change my gear oil...