Dana 44 Re-gear / Carrier w No Shims

99RedGriff

Heyo. So I have a 99 TJ sport with Dana 44 in rear. I opened up the rear diff to change fluid and found the ring and pinion had chipped teeth. Apparently I bought it that way. Anyways I’m re-gearing now and I just got the carrier out. It was very difficult to get out. Just realized there were no side shims. How is it possible that the carrier barley fit even without shims. And how am I going to set this thing up if I can’t use shims. I’ve watched 100 videos and never seen any without shims. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Heyo. So I have a 99 TJ sport with Dana 44 in rear. I opened up the rear diff to change fluid and found the ring and pinion had chipped teeth. Apparently I bought it that way. Anyways I’m re-gearing now and I just got the carrier out. It was very difficult to get out. Just realized there were no side shims. How is it possible that the carrier barley fit even without shims. And how am I going to set this thing up if I can’t use shims. I’ve watched 100 videos and never seen any without shims. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I just put a locker in my front dana 30 it had no shims and was hard to remove. Was still able to slide a shim in with a pry bar putting pressure on whichever side you needed

Look under the carrier bearings for shims

That was a good call. I actually didn't see this message until now but after I pulled off the carrier bearings I found all the shims there. Hadn't heard it could be done that way. But I wouldn't advise it considering after the person did it, two teeth snapped off the ring gear which is why Im replacing to begin with. Fun story actually. I bought this jeep recently and was just changing the fluids and found the two broken teeth and a huge gouge and dent in the diff cover from the explosion. But interestingly there were no broken metal pieces inside the diff. So this awesome person must have pulled out the metal chunks, sealed it back up and sold it to me.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd
He could have dumped the clutch or tried to tug on something heavy in reverse where the gears are weaker? Dick move to pass it on though. Good luck with the repair