Dana 44 to Dana 35 or 30

ragdoll

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys. If you were to REMOVE a Dana 44 AXLE ( NO, I would not , but) Let's say it was removed and replaced with a DANA 30 OR 35. Would there be anything else that would need corrected/ replaced ? A sure sign of this? ( Besides a Differential cover)

Hey guys. If you were to REMOVE a Dana 44 AXLE ( NO, I would not , but) Let's say it was removed and replaced with a DANA 30 OR 35. Would there be anything else that would need corrected/ replaced ? A sure sign of this? ( Besides a Differential cover)

A diff cover tells you just about anything you need to know between the axles. If you are talking strictly the rear axle, then that eliminates it from being a dana 30. There are a few differences between a dana 35 and a dana 44 other than just the diff cover. The pinion is shorter on a dana 35 causing the driveshaft to have to be shortened by about an inch in most cases. The axle bearing and retaining system are different. The dana 35 uses a C clip whereas the dana 44 uses a retaining plate at the end of the axle tubes.

As far as making the axle a simple swap, as long as the brakes are the same and use the same parking brake cables, then it is a direct swap as long as the gear ratio matches the front. That and the possible driveshaft modification.

Basically everything generally on the outside of a TJ 44/35/30 is interchangeable. Case in point a front Dana 30 outer Cs bolt to a 44. And thus hubs, brakes etc.

I think the rear Dana 44/35 there are different baking plates.

Control arm mounts, track bar, spring perches etc are all in the same places.

-Mac

Reactions: ragdoll
The Dana 30, 35, and 44 covers cannot be mixed between the different axles. Notice that the shapes are different. The cover you see is the axle you have.

Again, look at the shapes and understand that the covers cannot fit on a different axle.
e09b0a51fd3caf4706d690013ddf48f8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyd and ragdoll

Are you "asking for a friend?" :unsure:

You wouldn't be the first. My 99 TJ had a 44 according to the VIN build sheet but it had a 35 in it. It had "Dana 35" written on the housing in paint marker, a telltale sign that the axle had been in a junkyard.

No idea what happened to the 44 that they would have thrown it away for a salvage axle but I assume some dumbassery was involved like letting it run dry and trashing the gears after developing a leak.

Basically everything generally on the outside of a TJ 44/35/30 is interchangeable. Case in point a front Dana 30 outer Cs bolt to a 44. And thus hubs, brakes etc.

I think the rear Dana 44/35 there are different baking plates.

Control arm mounts, track bar, spring perches etc are all in the same places.

-Mac

Brakes are exactly the same between all the drum brakes for the Dana 44 and 35 rear axles. All the disc brake options are also the same and fully interchangeable between the Dana 44 and 35 although they never came on the 35, they will fit and work just fine. The only caveat is to make sure the disc brake backing plates have a provision for the ABS sensors if so equipped.

Reactions: macleanflood
You wouldn't be the first. My 99 TJ had a 44 according to the VIN build sheet but it had a 35 in it. It had "Dana 35" written on the housing in paint marker, a telltale sign that the axle had been in a junkyard.

No idea what happened to the 44 that they would have thrown it away for a salvage axle but I assume some dumbassery was involved like letting it run dry and trashing the gears after developing a leak.

It was very common to remove a 1500 dollar Dana 44 to sell and swap in a cheap 35 before a trade in at a dealer. I've even dealt with a couple of Rubiharas that showed up with a Dana 30 front and drum brake 35 rear. Not hard to figure out where the stock 44's went.

It was very common to remove a 1500 dollar Dana 44 to sell and swap in a cheap 35 before a trade in at a dealer. I've even dealt with a couple of Rubiharas that showed up with a Dana 30 front and drum brake 35 rear. Not hard to figure out where the stock 44's went.

I saw a decent mileage LJR on marketplace two days ago that looked good and was listed for $16k. I'm not in the market, but I window shop and thought I might share it here. Anyway, started looking at the ad and it said the axles had been replaced with a Dana 30/Dana 35. Then the price made sense.

I saw a decent mileage LJR on marketplace two days ago that looked good and was listed for $16k. I'm not in the market, but I window shop and thought I might share it here. Anyway, started looking at the ad and it said the axles had been replaced with a Dana 30/Dana 35. Then the price made sense.

I once helped a buddy who bought a new TJ. The trade in he was driving was built up, locked, etc. They let him have both vehicles over the weekend and when he dropped the trade in off on Monday, it was full bone stock and he drove off in a lifted and locked TJ with his old axles under it.

• Wow
Reactions: Mhass
I once helped a buddy who bought a new TJ. The trade in he was driving was built up, locked, etc. They let him have both vehicles over the weekend and when he dropped the trade in off on Monday, it was full bone stock and he drove off in a lifted and locked TJ with his old axles under it.

Done the same with a couple of trucks. Nothing scammy, mostly just retaining all my mods. Make the deal with the dealer, then request to go back home in my current truck for a few days while I remove all the crap. Show back up with a bone stock truck and swap. I never did ask if I could keep both home over the weekend, that would have been a lot easier but I didn't want to ask.

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ

Great deal for someone. If you're planning an axle swap right away, no need to pay for D44s.