Dash light wire for aftermarket gauge

R

Rowan River

It doesn't look like this forum has covered this yet, so I have a new gauge that is both vacuum tubed and electrical for its own light. Currently, I have it wired into the stereos acc., so that it comes on when the jeep is on. A quick solution I could wrap my head around and access easily. Now, I want to tap into the + for the dash lights, so that the gauge is only on when the dash lights are on. Anyone know which wire that would be and an easy place to access it? Or, if you have done this a different way, that would be great too. Thank in advance! olllllllo

Many ways to go about it and make it do what you want to do. The toughest part of it is deciding where to grab power from that won't require a contortionist to get to. I just looked through a couple of pages in the FSM. I'd prefer to go out and test the circuit to feel more confident about it, but the lamp feed for the radio looks promising. I have my radio pulled out of mine right now for a install I'm working on. I can test the circuit later this afternoon and give an update if you want.

PicsArt_11-16-01.57.34.jpg

That looks very promising. Yes, please, if you are already there. What year is yours?

Where is your gauge located?

On my '06, I installed a transmission temp gauge and I tapped into one of the orange wire with white tracer that leads to the lights for the climate controls. The gauge should dim with your other lights as well, at least mine does.

Reactions: Rowan River
The radio is an easy central location to tap into. I show a multi-tap bus solution in my build thread... Around September iirc.

Mine is a 2006. That wire will definitely work. When the park lights and or headlights are turned on, it sends power to the one you see there in the pinout.

If you have a manual you can use the wiring for the automatic shifter light. It is taped up to a wire loom under the dash or underneath the center console. Just cut the empty bulb socket off. It will also dim with your lights
Great idea, but I do have an automatic. However, taping that wire would be a good idea. I'm sure it can handle both.

Where is your gauge located?

On my '06, I installed a transmission temp gauge and I tapped into one of the orange wire with white tracer that leads to the lights for the climate controls. The gauge should dim with your other lights as well, at least mine does.
I put in the top right corner of the dash right up against the windshield. Wires and vacuum drop straight down. I brought the wires behind the radio, so there should be enough lead to go where needed.

Reactions: MountaineerTom