Not having really seen what you're describing, but I can take a stab at it.

I'd just go a pretty cheap route and make a spacer out of about a 1/8"-1/4" inch thick aluminum flat bar; trim to length and drill it so it fits between whatever speaker adapter and vehicle mounting point.

Then the speaker bottom could sit out at an angle due to the spacer bar's width.

I was imagining something like just the part that's circled in the pic here. Just some easy way to make the speaker tilt back a bit. But I would also need to check to see how much room there is behind for the whole pod to lead back at all. If I remember correctly, the select increment pods fill up most of the room back there.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 5.29.24 PM.jpg

Edit: Or, heck, for the price I could buy these and see what I can hack together with my existing pods.

Pair of speakers, I just got them, they are really nice.. worth the 50 bucks..

@macleanflood That is a good price indeed. IMO those speakers don't sound good though. A bit hollow and tinny compared to my previous Rockford Fosgates. Triple-checked my wiring to be sure I didn't have the wiring backward. Swapped them out after a few weeks. But they're popular on this forum and that's just my opinion.

@macleanflood That is a good price indeed. IMO those speakers don't sound good though. A bit hollow and tinny compared to my previous Rockford Fosgates. Triple-checked my wiring to be sure I didn't have the wiring backward. Swapped them out after a few weeks. But they're popular on this forum and that's just my opinion.
did you try them with an amp? or powered just by the head unit?

Any time I see speakers described as hollow sounding I always first suspect one speaker was wired backwards placing it out of phase with the other speaker.

I usually just blame my hearing...25 years of DJing with 2500+ watts of power eventually gets to you. My tinnitus is so bad I just have to power through it.

But yes, out of phase is a big issue...free air space behind the speaker can do it too. Ultimately we all hear a little different and it's subjective...so if you think it sounds good or bad then fix it for you!

I really need to get rid of the cherry bomb muffler on my TJ rather than make the stereo louder. =)

-Mac

Any time I see speakers described as hollow sounding I always first suspect one speaker was wired backwards placing it out of phase with the other speaker.

Yep, I remember you suggested that at the time, which is a good point. But ...

But again, they're popular on this forum, and it might just be that I was too accustomed to the way that Rockford's sound.

Reactions: Akitadog
In a old 90s chevy truck i had i used the old polk momo series 4x6 plate speakers similar to these and about 5 years ago i think these speakers in my sons 94 chevy truck. They actually sound pretty good although i have no clue how well they would work burried in the dash. Ive pretty much given up on speakers in the dash at this point.

But again, they're popular on this forum, and it might just be that I was too accustomed to the way that Rockford's sound.

At least I'm not the only one that is not impressed with those speakers. I found them lacking a little in clarity, JMHO.
I prefer some of the Kicker components. I miss the Resolutions I had in my 4Runner.

At least I'm not the only one that is not impressed with those speakers. I found them lacking a little in clarity, JMHO.
I prefer some of the Kicker components. I miss the Resolutions I had in my 4Runner.
I also had Polks in the Muddog, (4X6 plates in the dash, 5.25 in the soundbar), and wasn't impressed by them. Recently, I had to put speakers in my wife's Durango. I found some 6" speakers by Blaupunkt for $30 a pair. They sounded SO great that I got a set for the soundbar in the Jeep. I installed the 5.25s in the front, but after hearing the 6"ers in the soundbar, I replaced them with Blaupunkts, too. My Radio is an inexpensive Pioneer, but it CRANKS with the Blaupunkts.

I also had Polks in the Muddog, (4X6 plates in the dash, 5.25 in the soundbar), and wasn't impressed by them. Recently, I had to put speakers in my wife's Durango. I found some 6" speakers by Blaupunkt for $30 a pair. They sounded SO great that I got a set for the soundbar in the Jeep. I installed the 5.25s in the front, but after hearing the 6"ers in the soundbar, I replaced them with Blaupunkts, too. My Radio is an inexpensive Pioneer, but it CRANKS with the Blaupunkts.

If I remember correctly, @skrelnik isn't a fan of the Polks either.

I tried four sets of aftermarket speakers one after the other (pioneer, sony, polk, scosche) and the stock ones sounded much better. That is with factory radio and no subwoofer.

And the aftermarket ones were all tiny little wimpy things (physically) compared to stock speakers. Weird.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...s-on-your-factory-head-unit.46066/post-792121

Wow, I've never heard that before! But, from a quick glance, it looks like they were all fairly cheap Walmart purchases right?

But yes, as you mention in that post you linked, the sizes vary more than I would have expected. And yes, the Polks run on the small side. So when we all get excited that we can fit a 6.5" Polk in the soundbar without modification, that's because it's ... basically a 5.25" speaker.

Reactions: skrelnik
What should a person be looking for with the numbers/specs or ratings when using regular head unit with no amp. Such as 2 or 4 ohms. Hertz ect. I'm going to buy speakers this week, and I was looking at CT Sounds on Amazon.

What should a person be looking for with the numbers/specs or ratings when using regular head unit with no amp. Such as 2 or 4 ohms. Hertz ect. I'm going to buy speakers this week, and I was looking at CT Sounds on Amazon.

if using the stock head unit you would want speakers at 4ohm with 10-20 watts RMS. Kicker D series would be a good option or Match like these on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2847212342...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

• 2-way car speakers (pair)
  • 5.25" treated paper woofer cone
  • 3/4" polymer dome tweeter
  • power range: 20-40 watts RMS (100 watts peak power)
  • frequency range: 800-22,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 89 dB
  • top-mount depth: 2.25"
  • impedance: 4 ohms
  • grilles included

Reactions: Potomus Pete
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
if using the stock head unit you would want speakers at 4ohm with 10-20 watts RMS. Kicker D series would be a good option or Match like these on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2847212342...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

• 2-way car speakers (pair)
  • 5.25" treated paper woofer cone
  • 3/4" polymer dome tweeter
  • power range: 20-40 watts RMS (100 watts peak power)
  • frequency range: 800-22,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 89 dB
  • top-mount depth: 2.25"
  • impedance: 4 ohms
  • grilles included

Which dash and soundbar speakers are you recommending these days for those running a decent amp? I’ve seen your recommendations in the past, but that was a few years ago.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Which dash and soundbar speakers are you recommending these days for those running a decent amp? I’ve seen your recommendations in the past, but that was a few years ago.

I like to ask what the "Person" is budgeting as well as what sound like they are looking for, like good overall or heavy bass, etc. Generally speaking, those BLAM speakers are up there as my best value speakers currently on the market, if you can source from the correct vendor (pricing). They are 2ohm speakers, so they draw more power and play louder than the average 4ohm speaker. Their clarity is amazing for the price.

I love your build, and your garage tools! I was thinking of your JET drill press the other day as I was doing a project.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ

there are two things to consider, power handling and sound quality, since you are using the head unit the power handling wont matter at all, so you should aim for the sound quality, in this case I would recommend some JBL or rockford fosgate, they are one of the best for the non-amplified system.

just because your headunit is not powering with too much power (18-20 RMS) doesn't necesarily means that you cant get a bigger power handling speakers, pretty much ALL the aftermarket speakers are capable of handling more than a headunit would provide, the kicker's are IMHO not great, again, for sound quality when the system is not amplified I would recommend rockford fosgate or JBL

if you are running a decept amp I would suggest you are delivering at least 100 watts RMS to each speaker, so I would recommend you the Polk Audio MM series, they are pricey but they will deliver quality, for the soundbar I would DEFINTELY recommend you the JBL stadium series, they are 3 ohm rated so they will handle more power than normal 4 ohm speakers..

Polk Audio MM 5.25 for the Dash (please use the bracket I recommend at the beggining of the post)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937460112...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

JBL GTO629 for soundbar
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANIECRQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20
If you want to go big and pricey and usually topless, so the water may be an issue I would recommend you these speakers for the soundbar
https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/site/product/pa601cx/

they are kind of the best, but expensive, for the dash speakers Polk Audio is already marine rated so no issues with that..

Reactions: NashvilleTJ