Dash-top tweeter / speaker

Kenneth G Zinis

TJ Enthusiast
Guys,

Not looking for big sound, just better speaker direction and more sound with top down. Dash speakers were upgraded but with stock positioning, it's wasted on your knees, lol. '03 Rubi

Any experience with dash top-mount or A-pillar mounts, small mid range or tweeter just to hear something in front.

Please share pics and thoughts.

Thanks,

Ken

Search google for threads on here about this. It can be done with good results. Most are A pillar mounted. And appear to add a good amount of sound upgrade.

I built these out of 1/4 ABS. 2 inch hole. Alpine R-series Tweeter. Made a huge difference from down below.

IMG_9824.JPG

Guys,

Not looking for big sound, just better speaker direction and more sound with top down. Dash speakers were upgraded but with stock positioning, it's wasted on your knees, lol. '03 Rubi

Any experience with dash top-mount or A-pillar mounts, small mid range or tweeter just to hear something in front.

Please share pics and thoughts.

Thanks,

Ken
Thanks did that, wanted to get expert opinions

Was looking for options to mount tweeters and saw this old thread so decided to use it. Has anyone mounted tweeters in the top of the dash? I’m wondering if there is room to recess or surface mount a tweeter on top. It might be tricky to drill the hole up there. The other thought I have is to surface mount / recess the tweeter in the area just above the speaker opening.

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

Was looking for options to mount tweeters and saw this old thread so decided to use it. Has anyone mounted tweeters in the top of the dash? I’m wondering if there is room to recess or surface mount a tweeter on top. It might be tricky to drill the hole up there. The other thought I have is to surface mount / recess the tweeter in the area just above the speaker opening.

View attachment 477697

View attachment 477704

I think there is enough room in the top image. Felt from the back and I think its pretty open above the vent. Need to find a tweeter mount that sits in at an angle so you can direct the sound toward and not upward. Or just surface mount with a pod.

I think there is enough room in the top image. Felt from the back and I think its pretty open above the vent. Need to find a tweeter mount that sits in at an angle so you can direct the sound toward and not upward. Or just surface mount with a pod.

Thank you. Was wondering if it would need to be angled or could just face it up or not.

Reactions: cheechahumma
Im employing Polk 5.25” DB5252 components

I gave the recomemended Kicker 5.25” a try even with a 600w RMS 4 channel amp and wasnt impressed. Sound stage was terrible from the front.

My tweeters are on the dash in the corners with 3M tape behind their factory enclosure. I considered 3D printing a mounted pod, but this is simple and just works perfectly. They are sticking to the corner facing the listener. Now I have a far better sound stage
GM1yZV6.jpg

I have some larger DB18 PRO tweeters Im gonna also try. You can see the size differences best with these 2 photos. Im using crossovers also. A 4 ch 600w RMS amp is powering my main speakers

FheTjnT.jpg

F5lwA7m.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Danarch
Last edited:
IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1541.PNG
I started playing around with 3D printed dashtop pods. This is for a BLAM 2 inch driver. Unfortunately, PLA+ isn't up to the heat of the Floridian automotive environment.

I may use this idea for the larger tweeters Im gonna try out.
I like the idea and how you mounted it to the dash sides.

So this and a jig saw and some sanding eh??
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7MDWGJR/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yep.
Actually a template and a router to finish it off once you've rough-cut the ABS with the jigsaw. Luckily the dash is pretty much symmetrical, so you can just flip the ABS, tape both sides together with some double sided tape and have at it.
I also had to counter-sink the bolt areas to about 1/8 thickness but that may not have been necessary.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
I'm just happy when I can hear music when I'm driving... hell, at night and in the rain I have to turn it down to see :LOL:.

I've never cared about sound stage, imaging, etc in my vehicles... I'm there to drive it not appreciate the nuances of hearing the head of the stick tap the drum... Now, when you hear my Hi-Fi or the home theater system, or even my set of cans...

Reactions: Danarch
curious how many of y'all have done the component install -5 1/4 at the knee, tweeter up top- on just deck power. I was honestly looking at doing this with the factory radio. Have no plans to change the head unit

Deck power does not sound as good at mid to upper volumes for a reason. Ive done stereos since my first car in the early 90s. That first car was the only one that was driven off just a aftermarket Sony headunit (19 years old military man = poor) 😁

The rated power is a teeny amp inside will not perform like an independent A/B or Class D full scale amp.

Just ask yourself how its possible by comparing sizes. Youre seriously sacrificing somewhere right?? Even a Class D compact amp is 20x larger then the Hobbit in a headunit.

It performs poorly by comparisom and that can be detrimental to speaker longevity. It can work, but its far from optimal performance. This is where subjective listening becomes the arena

I recommend following the “Best” method outlined in this article. For ~$1000 you can do a very good system, and you will find it very rewarding after wiring it all yourself

That will include
Headunit, Adapter harness, 5.25” Polk Components, 6.5”rears ,Amp, and powered sub, RCAs, power wire, new speaker wire all thruout, terminals, etc

https://www.ctsounds.com/blogs/main...ssue with using,speakers and stock head unit.

Last edited: