Deadman Recovery

05 Blue Unlimited

TJ Addict
Ride of the Month Winner
Hmmm, now this looks interesting.

I'd love to hear what @mrblaine or @Jerry Bransford (or one of the guys on here who does a lot of extreme terrain type of situations) might think about something like this.

I don't do enough with my Jeep to know if this would be of much use or not.

Hmmm, now this looks interesting.

I'd love to hear what @mrblaine or @Jerry Bransford (or one of the guys on here who does a lot of extreme terrain type of situations) might think about something like this.

I don't do enough with my Jeep to know if this would be of much use or not.
If there's not a tree or a boulder to connect my winch to, there's invariably another Jeep close by to provide an assist. To me, that device would be solely for those who choose to wheel alone, which doesn't include me. :)

Reactions: LeePTI and Chris
It would have worked for me. I own acres in the mountains and a few years ago I buried my F-150 doing some work. I had to walk 2 miles to a neighbors to get him to pull me out with his small tractor.

Reactions: Chris
It would have worked for me. I own acres in the mountains and a few years ago I buried my F-150 doing some work. I had to walk 2 miles to a neighbors to get him to pull me out with his small tractor.
You probably saved time by only having to walk 2 miles (about 40 minutes) to get the tractor vs. having to dig a hole big enough and deep enough to hold enough dirt for that device to work as advertised.

Reactions: LeePTI and Serbonze
Very possible. At least he was there, the next walk would have added another mile or so in the mountains.

Well there is no denying that it does have a limited application. I do bet that many of us will head out alone for a quick run from time to time. It does put a dual duty item in the recovery bag though.

I have recovered a lot of equipment back when I was in the recovery section of a old unit. Since I have become a SFC in the military I no longer recover vehicles/tracks. What I have learned through trial and error is that in the most direst of times when you are gifted enough to go wheeling ALONE, is that your spare tire is a GOD send when you get stuck. I have since then seen several people post pictures of recovery that way. all you have to do is dig a trench wide enough to place your spare in the ground and then wrap your recovery strap through the center and back to itself. place the strap on the bottom of the tire and place in the ground and slowly recover your self.

spare anchor.jpg

spare anchor1.jpg

If you happen to need it in the rocks you could simply use the rocks and wedge the spare between the rocks, imagination is limitless.....

I have recovered a lot of equipment back when I was in the recovery section of a old unit. Since I have become a SFC in the military I no longer recover vehicles/tracks. What I have learned through trial and error is that in the most direst of times when you are gifted enough to go wheeling ALONE, is that your spare tire is a GOD send when you get stuck. I have since then seen several people post pictures of recovery that way. all you have to do is dig a trench wide enough to place your spare in the ground and then wrap your recovery strap through the center and back to itself. place the strap on the bottom of the tire and place in the ground and slowly recover your self.
Thanks for this. I'm getting ready to go to the beach next week for a couple of days, and will be on some 4x4 beach alone. There could be other 4WD's, but I thought a deadman would be something to have along. Nice to know that as long as I can get my spare together this week, I'll be good to go. I had been thinking of cutting down a T-Post to about 4ft, attaching my strap to the base, and burying it at a 15* angle away from the Jeep's position, but this looks like it would work better. Little more digging, perhaps

Reactions: Jeep9748
Since space is so limited in my TJ, even with the big Tuffy storage drawer I installed, that I evaluate risk/reward on the space I invest to carry gadgets. If space was unlimited I might consider one of these but as stated above I've always planned to burry my spare if I did get in a situation like this. As cool as it looks I would not spend the space for it plus the price seems really high to me.

Reactions: JMT