Death Wobble at Specific MPH

wade Quilter

Hey all! I have been enjoying my newly lifted ride (4" lift), except for one aspect - the infamous death wobble! It only occurs around 45MPH, and not constantly either. If I can accelerate quick enough past 45, it will only shake a little and then stop. But 50% of the time, the wobble sets in. What is the cure? Do I need a steering stabilizer?

Hey all! I have been enjoying my newly lifted ride (4" lift), except for one aspect - the infamous death wobble! It only occurs around 45MPH, and not constantly either. If I can accelerate quick enough past 45, it will only shake a little and then stop. But 50% of the time, the wobble sets in. What is the cure? Do I need a steering stabilizer?
That's not Death Wobble, you absolutely cannot accelerate up past true DW to stop it. That's simply a speed sensitive shimmy which is night and day different from DW. DW is so violent beyond the ability to comprehend until you have experienced it that it's hard to describe. The only way to stop DW is to immediately slow down to nearly stopped.

Get your tires balanced, that should take care that shimmy. And the correct term for a steering stabilizer is a steering damper, its job is to isolate the steering system from shock and jolts. A new one is NEVER EVER the cure for a shimmy or DW. It might temporarily suppress the symptoms fooling some into thinking it cured the problem but it's only temporarily suppressing the problem. Like holding a gorilla down, you're eventually going to get tired and the gorilla's gonna get back up and have his way with you. :)

Last edited:
That's not Death Wobble, you absolutely cannot accelerate up past true DW to stop it. That's simply a speed sensitive shimmy which is night and day different from DW. DW is so violent beyond the ability to comprehend until you have experienced it that it's hard to describe. The only way to stop DW is to immediately slow down to nearly stopped.

Get your tires balanced, that should take care it. And the correct term for a steering stabilizer is a steering damper, its job is to isolate the steering system from shock and jolts. A new one is NEVER EVER the cure for a shimmy or DW. It might temporarily suppress the symptoms fooling some into thinking it cured the problem but it's only temporarily suppressing the problem. Like holding a gorilla down, you're eventually going to get tired and the gorilla's gonna get back up and have his way with you. :)
The way you are describing DW, there is no way I have experienced it yet lol. This is definitely just a shimmy during that specific MPH, that if I'm lucky goes away very quickly.

I just realized you said you recently installed a 4-inch lift. What kit did you use? Did you adjust the pinion angle with adjustable control arms or add a transfer case drop?

What you're experiencing could also be driveline vibration due to improper pinion angle.

As a member of the DWAC, Death Wobble Advisory Council, speed specific movement is a class 2 vibration , annoying , but not death wobble.

If you have true death wobble it will not enter your mind to go faster at all... You're only prevailing thought will be how can I survive this.

Large tires are a bear to balance and are more likely to have manufacturing imperfections just simply because of the amount of steel and rubber molded into them .

At the same time a TJ is a very light vehicle ... An imperfect tire has the ability to vibrate to the point that it can overpower the inherent chassis stability.

Lose the idea that there's any kind of mystery...all you have is four tires and a few front end components that can possibly be at play.

Do the dry steering test and pay close attention to the track bar and talk to a local off-road shop and ask them where they like to get large tires done.... they will know who has the experience in dealing with them and often do them in house.

Contrary to the name steering stabilizer, a steering stabilizer does not stabilize the steering, it is a shock absorber that basically works passively to reduce energy from hard hits into the gearbox and throughout the steering linkage.

It can only cure death wobble about as much as pain medicine can cure a toothache.. it can make you think you're okay but you're not.

AndyG
DWAC Seat 4, Forum Regearing Committee, Forum Guidelines & Regulations Auditor , SPABG Member since 2018 (Society for the Prevention of Angry Bird Grills)

I like to go on random job interviews, and when it doesn't go well fire the guy.

Then come back about two weeks later and be real mad if he still working there.

I’ve had DW before when a trac bar joint failed. Whoa!

Just recently I had a shake and shimmy that revealed itself between 44-46mph...once over 46, it basically went away. Totally different the DW.

After going through the whole “shimmy and shake” procedures & protocols, (dry steer, balancing, psi, etc) I discovered my front axle u-joints and my ball joints were wasted. 2hrs later, everything was right in the world...I also happen to have a new Currie Correct Lync laying around so I bolted that up too..Now we’re back to being happy campers...