Death Wobble or other.

Patrick McKenna

So i got my first TJ but this goes back before i got it. I had a xj that came stock, bought new rims and tires for it and started to get a wobble/ shake with in the front end at around 50-55mph. I then got my tj and when i first bought it stock it had no wobble in the front end. I ended up switching the tires and rims from my xj over to my tj, once again i started to experience this wobble/shake at around 50-55mph. Well i finally got a 2ich bds suspension lift for it and it got way worse. Had my regular shop in town take a look and re-balanced and re aligned and everything checked out fine but still had this terrible wobble at the same speed of 50-55 mph. my wonder could it be my tires? i plan on getting new tires in the upcoming week as soon as i get paid and upgrade from 30 to 33s. IF anyone could give me some advice id greatly appreciate it.

So i got my first TJ but this goes back before i got it. I had a xj that came stock, bought new rims and tires for it and started to get a wobble/ shake with in the front end at around 50-55mph. I then got my tj and when i first bought it stock it had no wobble in the front end. I ended up switching the tires and rims from my xj over to my tj, once again i started to experience this wobble/shake at around 50-55mph. Well i finally got a 2ich bds suspension lift for it and it got way worse. Had my regular shop in town take a look and re-balanced and re aligned and everything checked out fine but still had this terrible wobble at the same speed of 50-55 mph. my wonder could it be my tires? i plan on getting new tires in the upcoming week as soon as i get paid and upgrade from 30 to 33s. IF anyone could give me some advice id greatly appreciate it.
Occam's Razor.

Definitely Ockham's Razor! The bigger tires just amplified and already existing problem.

The very first thing I would be checking are the ball joints and the front track bar mounts. Get under the front of the vehicle and then have someone get in the drivers seat while you're under there (and the vehicle is on) and have them turn the steering wheel back-to-back numerous times very fast. Watch and listen at both the track bar frame mount and axle mount. Look for visual movement and listen for sounds. If something is loose or making noise then you've found the culprit.

After that, check the ball joints.

Reactions: Patrick McKenna
Definitely Ockham's Razor! The bigger tires just amplified and already existing problem.

The very first thing I would be checking are the ball joints and the front track bar mounts. Get under the front of the vehicle and then have someone get in the drivers seat while you're under there (and the vehicle is on) and have them turn the steering wheel back-to-back numerous times very fast. Watch and listen at both the track bar frame mount and axle mount. Look for visual movement and listen for sounds. If something is loose or making noise then you've found the culprit.

What I meant was the obvious answer is most always the answer. If he has a set of tires that caused a wobble at 55 on one rig and he moved them to another entirely different rig and the wobble exhibits at the same speeds, the culprit is the only thing the two rigs have in common.

I would inspect the tires for tread squirm and hop while they are on the balancer and make sure the rims aren't bent. It is very possible to balance a tire to zero and still have over a 1/2" of hop or squirm in the tread which will never run smooth.

Also not meant to imply that he shouldn't do the things you suggested because he should.

Ahhh, my first thought was a balancing issue, but when he mentioned that he had them balanced I ruled that one out. Your advice is obviously sound.

It does indeed seem it would be related to the wheels / tires.

Though, would a bigger set of tires and wheels (say you'd moved up from the stock size) potentially amplify a death wobble issue that was there to begin with but not noticeable with the stock size tires? Or is that unlikely to begin with?

Sometimes very slowly turning will help locate the problem. But hell if one way doesn't work try another.

Sometimes very slowly turning will help locate the problem. But hell if one way doesn't work try another.
I use a 3 step process.
Step 1. Move the steering wheel quickly from about the 11 to 1 position or just where you start to move the tires with the engine off. That is the dry steering test. Observe and touch every component to look for and feel play that shouldn't be there.
Step 2. Start the motor and do the same test looking for the same things with the same wheel movement. This has more power and will bring higher forces into play to force slightly worn components to reveal themselves.
Step 3 is the same but more steering wheel movement and slower looking for the same things.

If you are inspecting a tie rod end, put your thumb on the body and your forefinger on the knuckle or pitman to try and sense the movement or popping in the joint that you won't normally see. Use your sense of sight, touch, and hearing to locate and identify the worn parts. Be very observant.

Reactions: Chris
Pretty much the same thing I do. Wife has a lot of seat time!
It's amazing how many things I located by feel that I could not see---even when I could still see

Reactions: Chris