Did not pass NYS inspection

JoePal

Supporting Member
Have an issue 06, 4.0 6sp manual.

Did not pass NYS inspection.
Monitor EVAP Not Ready and
Monitor Heated O2 Not Ready.

The dealer told me a few weeks ago i needed to drive the jeep. Well almost 500 miles driven and still same.

Now what?

thanks

joe

This is a known problem with the '05-'06 Wranglers. You probably need to follow Service Bulletin TSB 25-001-07 which modifies some wiring. (There are a few later versions of this TSB, up thru TSB 25-005-13A, which aren't really any different on anything important.)

Some people have reported that their Jeep dealer will still do this mod for free. Others have reported that their Jeep dealer has lost all of their TJ mechanics and the newbies don't have a clue. If you're okay with modifying your wiring, it's not a bad job to do yourself. There are some threads on here about doing it.

Attachments

• TSB_25-001-07.pdf
    197.2 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Rickyd
Have an issue 06, 4.0 6sp manual.

Did not pass NYS inspection.
Monitor EVAP Not Ready and
Monitor Heated O2 Not Ready.

The dealer told me a few weeks ago i needed to drive the jeep. Well almost 500 miles driven and still same.

Now what?

thanks

joe

I don't know why the EVAP monitor isn't promoting to Ready status, but the Heated O2 monitor won't promote unless your TJ has been in for TSB #25-005-13 (attached).

Attachments

• TSB #25-005-13 Rev. A (ODB Readiness Errors).pdf
    541.1 KB · Views: 33
That's odd - OldBuzzard's TSB and the one I posted cover a similar issue, but have different numbers. His is from 2007 and mine from 2013. I would expect the numbers to be the same, with a different Revision letter. Also, within the last two years, I paid for access to Jeep's technical documentation system and downloaded all relevant TSBs for 2005 (my LJ's model year), and the one OldBuzzard posted isn't in that list. I wonder what happened to the older TSB?

Edited to add: I didn't read your full post, OldBuzzard - sorry. I see you mentioned the newer TSB. However, I still find it odd that they didn't use the older one and revise it, but it is Chrysler...

That's odd...

I agree, it seems dumb of them to use different numbers. But I think I found four or five different iterations of that same TSB, all in different numbers. None of them changed any details of the actual fix, they just changed some of the text about the symptoms, conditions, etc.

Generally, those "Monitor" errors do not show a CEL, and don't show any codes on an OBDII reader either. But they'll stop you from passing emissions tests, depending on how strict your state is. CA got stricter, then CO did too, and other states, just to make life miserable for all of us.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Readiness monitors won't trigger a light or a code, but many code readers can tell you if the monitors are ready. It's usually on a different "page" of the scanner. Look for "readiness" or "monitor" in the menu options. However, in the case of the TSB noted above, the problem is that there is a wiring error from the factory, and the O2 Heater readiness monitor will never show "ready." Only a very astute mechanic will figure that out.

thanks for all the comments thus far. there was no check engine light on. I'm going to try Drive Cycle instructions over the next couple of days before getting into "wiring" having my mechanic going over the TSB.

thanks for all the comments thus far. there was no check engine light on. I'm going to try Drive Cycle instructions over the next couple of days before getting into "wiring" having my mechanic going over the TSB.

You will 100% - without a doubt - be unsuccessful, unless the TSB mod has been performed. Your model year has a wiring mistake from the factory that makes it impossible to get the O2 Heater monitor to the ready state, no matter how much you drive it. Unless you know that the TSB error has been corrected, you're wasting time and gas driving it to get to ready on that monitor.

Reactions: Zorba
Just get the wiring fixed. Literally look me 15 minutes. In NY you are allowed one item not ready and can still pass. Get it fixed and you will be all set as long as you don't get anything new.

Reactions: JoePal
Executing that TSB is simple and only takes about an hour using common tools. Had the same issue with my 06 Sport and the TSB did the trick with the heated O2 readiness monitor. In CA we can pass smog inspection with one monitor not ready. Not sure about NY

That's odd - OldBuzzard's TSB and the one I posted cover a similar issue, but have different numbers. His is from 2007 and mine from 2013. I would expect the numbers to be the same, with a different Revision letter. Also, within the last two years, I paid for access to Jeep's technical documentation system and downloaded all relevant TSBs for 2005 (my LJ's model year), and the one OldBuzzard posted isn't in that list. I wonder what happened to the older TSB?

Edited to add: I didn't read your full post, OldBuzzard - sorry. I see you mentioned the newer TSB. However, I still find it odd that they didn't use the older one and revise it, but it is Chrysler...

In seeing an opportunity to hijack, please expound on the "access to Jeep's technical documentation system" please and thank-you?

In seeing an opportunity to hijack, please expound on the "access to Jeep's technical documentation system" please and thank-you?

It's called the Mopar Technical Service Portal (I think it used to be called Mopar Tech Authority). Both dealers and non-dealers get access, but non-dealers (called "Aftermarket" users) have to pay for access. The cheapest way is to buy a three day pass (about $37 or so), and then download everything you can in that three days, but it's cumbersome (on purpose, I think). To take full advantage of the three day pass, plan on spending many hours downloading things two or three documents at a time.

Read this to figure out how to create an account and buy a pass: https://portal-media.mopartsp.com/MTSP_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

It's called the Mopar Technical Service Portal (I think it used to be called Mopar Tech Authority). Both dealers and non-dealers get access, but non-dealers (called "Aftermarket" users) have to pay for access. The cheapest way is to buy a three day pass (about $37 or so), and then download everything you can in that three days, but it's cumbersome (on purpose, I think). To take full advantage of the three day pass, plan on spending many hours downloading things two or three documents at a time.

Read this to figure out how to create an account and buy a pass: https://portal-media.mopartsp.com/MTSP_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

Awesome. Thank-you very much!

Reactions: sab
1710792212534.png

Reactions: macleanflood
So everyone i spoke to about doing the wire splicing was reluctant about doing it. Me too!
But I was tired of waiting so I tried it myself Saturday, drove it Sunday and today.

SUCCESS - All cleared and Passed NYS inspection!

Thanks to all you guys for the info and the TSB

Joe

Did the TSB also clear your evap not ready as well?
I have an 06 LJ 6 speed with the exact same 2 not ready states that now has to go through emission testing here in IL.
Any help appreciated!

Did the TSB also clear your evap not ready as well?
I have an 06 LJ 6 speed with the exact same 2 not ready states that now has to go through emission testing here in IL.
Any help appreciated!

The TSB does not mention the Evap System Monitor, and the evap system isn't related to the three monitors mentioned in the TSB, so I doubt that doing the TSB fix will address the Evap System Monitor not promoting to Ready status. The evap system is checking for fuel vapor leaks, while the TSB addresses three monitors that check for exhaust emissions system issues (catalytic converter performance and O2 sensor performance).

That said, I haven't myself confirmed, nor have I seen any other forum user confirm, that the TSB does or does not address Evap System Monitor readiness, so I'm only making an educated guess here.

Also, in some states, you can pass emissions with a single Monitor with a status of "not ready." So, if you do the TSB and fix the emissions readiness issue, you may be able to pass without the Evap System Monitor ready.