Disable Speed Warning Chime

mtnhi7

I have an '03 Rubicon. I want to disable the speed warning chime that sounds when speed gets to 75 mph, when passing a motor home or 18 wheeler. I drive at the speed limits, but there are occasions when 75 mph is exceeded. At 85 mph the fuel pump cuts off. This is all nanny state crap.

I have an '03 Rubicon. I want to disable the speed warning chime that sounds when speed gets to 75 mph, when passing a motor home or 18 wheeler. I drive at the speed limits, but there are occasions when 75 mph is exceeded. At 85 mph the fuel pump cuts off. This is all nanny state crap.
Interesting, I've never heard of it, I've done 85 on my TJ and I don't get a chime.

Reactions: StG58
I seriously doubt my '03 Rubi could do 85 mph... so can't comment on the fuel pump thing... seems odd to me though.
I have gotten it up to 75 without a chime.

Huh? There is no speed warning chime on a TJ. You sure you don't have some aftermarket piece of equipment installed?

OK, very funny. My Rubicon was built January 2003, I took delivery 2/10/03. The 4.0L is a stroker, the injectors are Jeep 24lb./hr, intake is AEM, 62mm throttle body, Banks cat back exhaust, 5 speed gearbox. Transfer case is in 2 high except when 4 wheeling. The chime is the same sound when the key remains in the ignition, or when the lights are on and the driver's door is opened.
Not any help here.

We're not trying to be dicks, we're just saying that there's no "speed chime" from the factory. So if you are hearing what you describe as the chime when the key is in the ignition at a certain speed, then there's something that is likely wrong with the wiring.

Look under the dash and under the hood. Look for ANYWHERE where the factory wiring harness appears to have been tampered with.

That's the first place to start.

And again, sorry, no one is trying to be an asshole, we'd just never heard of a speed chime.

We're not trying to be dicks, we're just saying that there's no "speed chime" from the factory. So if you are hearing what you describe as the chime when the key is in the ignition at a certain speed, then there's something that is likely wrong with the wiring.

Look under the dash and under the hood. Look for ANYWHERE where the factory wiring harness appears to have been tampered with.

That's the first place to start.

And again, sorry, no one is trying to be an asshole, we'd just never heard of a speed chime.

Reactions: Stinger
Well, the speed warning chime or beep sound does exist, and there's nothing wrong with the Jeep's wiring. It occurs when the speed hits 75 mph and above. The local Jeep dealer's lead tech has heard it; no error codes exist. I've asked a friend of mine who worked for Jeep for 9 yrs and was on the Rubicon design team. Maybe he has some information; he still has several contacts at Jeep.

Seriously @mtnhi7, we sometimes get on a roll and things get out of hand...but we do try to help.

So, the chime sounds at 75, and the fuel pump cuts off at 85? And it's an 03 Rubi? Try having the ECM looked at. I didn't know that TJ's had speed limiters on them, but it sounds like what happens when you get really close to the upper limits on some high performance European cars. Maybe the ECM was mis-programmed at the factory. I know the Benz would do that, but it was at a much, much higher speed.

Please keep us posted. I'm not kidding when I say I had no idea that there was such thing as a speed chime. I seriously thought you were just pulling our chains or something.

Do you happen to have your headlights on at the time the chime starts?

For some reason my 06 Rubi starts to chime after a few minutes when I turn on the headlights. If I turn them off, the chiming stops.

This goes on for a few cycles and then finally stops.

Did you buy the jeep new? I've also never heard of this warning chime and my 05 LJ doesn't make it.

Edit: Missed where you posted the delivery date. Very odd problem you've got there, especially if the jeep was delivered new to you with nothing unknown installed

Last edited: