DIY Big Brakes

Slightly unrelated, but you probably have enough experience with the different types of bearings to answer....have you noticed either model (early or late YJ/TJ) lasting more or less time than the other? Is the later version an "upgrade" to your inowledge, or just different? Of course assuming both are installed with the stub nut torqued properly and running the same tire size and wheel BS. I'm curious if there are any advantages of one over the other at this point that you've noticed.

Not really. I prefer the later ones whenever possible due to the better rotor registration pilot and slightly longer studs.

Reactions: machoheadgames
Not really. I prefer the later ones whenever possible due to the better rotor registration pilot and slightly longer studs.
Sounds good, I just bought all of the parts tomorrow, should be here by the end of the week. I was able to grab the knuckles at Pick n pull for 12 bucks so I’m off to a good start. I’ll use the 97 tj hubs, axle shafts, and ball joints. All of this is in a 98 XJ high pinion 30 housing. I’m using power stop AR8586EVC rotors for a 2004 sport trac, power stop 2014 GC calipers, centric 30114550 brake pads (not sure if these are specific to the grand Cherokee) , AC delco caliper bolts and banjo bolts. I’ll grab washers from a local hardware shop.

I’d love to hear how yours turns out and I’ll give you updates on mine as well.

I’d love to hear how yours turns out and I’ll give you updates on mine as well.
Mine actually turned out pretty well. Or at least I'm pretty fond of them. ;)

DSC_3508.JPG

DSC_3520.JPG

DSC_3739.JPG

DSC_3077.JPG

DSC_5107.JPG

DSC_4052.JPG

DSC_4053.JPG

DSC_4060.JPG

It probably wasn't obvious based on any of my commentary but I build brakes and have been doing so from scratch since about late 99. That includes building our own knuckles from scratch by building mock up working prototypes and then converting those to scanned parts that then are used to create a 3D printed sample that I then use to test fit brake parts on before the patterns are made.

View attachment 442388

View attachment 442389

View attachment 442390

View attachment 442392

View attachment 442394

View attachment 442395

View attachment 442396

View attachment 442397
It probably wasn't obvious based on any of my commentary but I build brakes and have been doing so from scratch since about late 99. That includes building our own knuckles from scratch by building mock up working prototypes and then converting those to scanned parts that then are used to create a 3D printed sample that I then use to test fit brake parts on before the patterns are made.

Why the drilled and slotted rotor?

Why the drilled and slotted rotor?

Why not? Not all of the stuff I do or have done is strictly for a specific group. Sometimes I do stuff for folks that run on the street and are more interested in looks than anything else. FYI- that is a 14" diameter rotor and the only Jeep rim it fits inside of has to be at least 18".

Why not? Not all of the stuff I do or have done is strictly for a specific group. Sometimes I do stuff for folks that run on the street and are more interested in looks than anything else. FYI- that is a 14" diameter rotor and the only Jeep rim it fits inside of has to be at least 18".

Is the spider etched thing something you do?

View attachment 442388

View attachment 442389

View attachment 442390

View attachment 442392

View attachment 442394

View attachment 442395

View attachment 442396

View attachment 442397

Oh sorry I totally replied to the wrong person

Reactions: mrblaine and Shank

View attachment 442388

View attachment 442389

View attachment 442390

View attachment 442392

View attachment 442394

View attachment 442395

View attachment 442396

View attachment 442397

Beautiful photos Blaine.

I don't think most people realize how much time and effort went into creating your custom knuckles.

Reactions: jjvw
Pretty sure the 90-99.5 and 99.5-06 bearings should both fit fine on the 80’s knuckles. The 80s did have a different unit bearing part number than 90-99.5 but I can’t figure out a difference besides some minor dimensions. Hell, even Timken refers to the 3 different bearings as Generation 1, 2, & 3. It is interesting that they call the 90-99.5 tapered bearing and the other two ball bearing. Not sure if that might just be a misprint.

Timken 513107
84-89 XJ/87-89 YJ

View attachment 442056

Timken 513084
90-95 YJ/97-99.5 TJ

View attachment 442058

Timken HA597449
99.5-06 TJ

View attachment 442059

Ultimately I think the important part for you will be a rotor that works. The list of parts for DIY BBK appears to use the HA597449 unit bearing which is 99.5-06. If that’s what’s needed to go with the Ranger rotors, then you will need to get the 99.5-06 unit bearings or you will need to shim the calipers outward because the dimensions are different (flange offset referenced in clips above).

For the 2nd generation bearings it looks like the flange diameter is about 1/2” larger than gen 1 and about 0.2” larger than gen 3, anyone know if this is the measurement of where the rotor would sit? If the DIY kit asks for the gen 3 bearings with a little bit of grinding to make the rotors fit, would I have to take down around 3/10ths of an inch on the gen 2 bearing?

For the 2nd generation bearings it looks like the flange diameter is about 1/2” larger than gen 1 and about 0.2” larger than gen 3, anyone know if this is the measurement of where the rotor would sit? If the DIY kit asks for the gen 3 bearings with a little bit of grinding to make the rotors fit, would I have to take down around 3/10ths of an inch on the gen 2 bearing?

Yes, you need to take it down however much to get it inside the Ford rotor. Just for your information, folks already do this to run the 15” and 16” rotors that Blaine supplies in his BBKs….he uses I believe the Sport Trac rotor for the 16” kit (12.1” rotor) and an 11.75” rotor from I believe an Explorer for the 15” kit. Both have the same hat which is smaller than the Jeep unit bearings by a bit and so all of them need to be ground down on the diameter with a flap disc.

Yes, you need to take it down however much to get it inside the Ford rotor. Just for your information, folks already do this to run the 15” and 16” rotors that Blaine supplies in his BBKs….he uses I believe the Sport Trac rotor for the 16” kit (12.1” rotor) and an 11.75” rotor from I believe an Explorer for the 15” kit. Both have the same hat which is smaller than the Jeep unit bearings by a bit and so all of them need to be ground down on the diameter with a flap disc.

Perfect that makes me feel a whole lot better about grinding down my relatively new bearings

IMG_2516.jpeg

A few hundred dollars of more parts and I’ll be ready to get this done.

Following! I have stock brakes and I think calipers are on their way out so I’m looking into this. Haven’t found anything solid so hoping you update this after you finish up. Thank you!

Please read through the thread and consider the weakness of the knuckles if you have not already.

I am going to proceed as I understand how I am using these but no doubt the vanco kit is superior.

Please read through the thread and consider the weakness of the knuckles if you have not already.

I am going to proceed as I understand how I am using these but no doubt the vanco kit is superior.

Ideally, I would like to go for the Vanco but being up in Canada and will have to get it shipped to the border and will cost me around $2000 CAD without any duties. It will be additional couple hundred bucks for the duties/taxes.

I don’t want to do the WJ swap and this only seems like a reasonable choice for the cost. I’m fairly new to wheelIng and I don’t do anything extreme.

Reactions: Shank
Got started tonight after work.

Ball joints are out, knuckles are drilled for 14mm bolts.

Tomorrow probably just going to do axle U joints as I have plans.

I hoped to have this done by the weekend but I don’t think I will. Really only have one full evening left I can work on it this week and gone all weekend.

71375327557__31ACCB3C-3888-4839-A69F-A6F6849E0FA2.jpeg

Reactions: UKTJ