DIY Big Brakes

Did you check the outer edge of the pads to see if they are close to flush with the edge of the rotor?

I have not.

Assuming that is where the two different size calipers come in? I will double check tomorrow.

I have not.

Assuming that is where the two different size calipers come in? I will double check tomorrow.

I've set up and built a ton of big brake kits from scratch. When I see a gap as big as the one between the end of the saddle and the edge of the rotor, that typically points to the pads hanging way over the edge of the rotor. Hopefully that isn't the case but if it is, something will have to change. Either a larger diameter rotor or a different caliper. That caliper can't move inward towards the hat much more unless the pic is messing up the angles and there is more room than it looks like.

1693015792750.png

Reactions: srimes and Shank
I've set up and built a ton of big brake kits from scratch. When I see a gap as big as the one between the end of the saddle and the edge of the rotor, that typically points to the pads hanging way over the edge of the rotor. Hopefully that isn't the case but if it is, something will have to change. Either a larger diameter rotor or a different caliper. That caliper can't move inward towards the hat much more unless the pic is messing up the angles and there is more room than it looks like.

View attachment 452828

Thank you,

I will look into it tomorrow for sure. I trust your experience and I am fairly certain I purchased the calipers for the smaller rotors but mistakes happen.

View attachment 452828

IMG_2638.jpeg

Other side with a slightly different angle.

Reactions: mrblaine

View attachment 452828

IMG_2654.jpeg

Little hard to see but looks good

Reactions: mrblaine
Summary of this whole setup:

This works super well. Braking performance is way better. For a street only Jeep (like mine, hopefully not forever….), this is probably a great option. I would however feel better with new knuckles in the BMB/Vanco kit but at this time for the 1,000 miles a year I use it I just wasn’t ready to buy the kit.

I’m not nervous to run this at all but at some point I see buying the kit especially if I start using it at all.

Reactions: Rickyd
Summary of this whole setup:

This works super well. Braking performance is way better. For a street only Jeep (like mine, hopefully not forever….), this is probably a great option. I would however feel better with new knuckles in the BMB/Vanco kit but at this time for the 1,000 miles a year I use it I just wasn’t ready to buy the kit.

I’m not nervous to run this at all but at some point I see buying the kit especially if I start using it at all.

That seems like a very DIY project. How do you like it so far?

Before you go blowing all that $$$$

Bleed your brake fluid entirely and installed all new Powerstop pads & rotors ($100), and new Powerstop rear drum brakes, pads, cylinders,($150-$180) and new sliders on the calipers ($8)

Mine was night and day IMMENSELY improved
Kinda was shocked at the massive improvement

All my pads were half eaten when I drove it hime after purchase , but the brakes scared the crap out of me on that drive home. Now, I have waaaaay more confidence

Last edited:
That seems like a very DIY project. How do you like it so far?

To be honest I have not driven it much and the Jeep is parked for winter. It certainly is an improvement though and isn't ridiculously more expensive than buying new stock pads, rotors, calipers (except that you have to do ball joints, etc.).

To be honest I have not driven it much and the Jeep is parked for winter. It certainly is an improvement though and isn't ridiculously more expensive than buying new stock pads, rotors, calipers (except that you have to do ball joints, etc.).

Thank you

Reactions: Shank
That said, if you head down that road, post up, I've done lots of custom brakes and brake conversions and will be more than pleased to provide you with all the technical support you need to pull it off. It is always good to see folks figure stuff out.
This, this is what makes this forum and @mrblaine one hell of a guy😜

Reactions: Shank