DIY Hardtop Hoist

Thanks. The crane folds up pretty small. It's holding my top at the moment but here's a stock photo:

Capture.PNG

Reactions: qslim
Thanks. The crane folds up pretty small. It's holding my top at the moment but here's a stock photo:

View attachment 112349

Dude that is a really good idea. Even if you don't leave it sitting on the hoist you can move it around and set it somewhere or transfer it.

Being able to move it around was important, just because of the odd shape and low height of the garage. It's super easy. Also putting it back on is great because I just pull the Jeep in and can maneuver the top right on.

@Byhumba , I made the platform ultra simple just to lift and hold so I can park under it. I'm betting you could put the top on the ground as long as you keep it from sliding off of the crane. Rubber instead of carpet would be better for grip. With this design, it would tilt down, windshield edge to the ground.

Here's what I did for my wifes jk. Used unistrut and 4 inch u bolts. Then just got a harbor freight electric hoist. Prob got $150 total in it. The top of the t goes over the doors and the bottom by the back glass.
Sorry dont have any pics actually holding the top.

View attachment 92863

View attachment 92864

View attachment 92866
I know this is an old thread, but i just starting making a hoist like this and can't find those u-bolts anywhere, do you have a link or anything?

Hi all! My garage is too narrow and low (under 8') for me to use a hoist. I also need the option to move the top around a bit instead of having it hang straight up. Here's what I came up with:

$240 shop crane from Amazon + some scrap wood and carpet I had laying around.

Takes about 8 minutes to pop it off. I can then move it around the garage. Makes putting it back on pretty easy too. I don't bother with the straps anymore, it's stable just on the wood.

View attachment 112210

View attachment 112211

View attachment 112212

View attachment 112213
Dang thats a really cool DIY of the TLP
https://topliftpros.com/I've wanted one but $1k just seems so steep...

I think the motion would work the same, as long as the dimensions work out. I'm still on the lookout for a hardtop myself...been running soft top for a couple years!
This one is nice! The website states it is for JK and JL Jeeps. Do you know if it can be used to remove our TJs' hard top

Reactions: Byhumba
Hi all! My garage is too narrow and low (under 8') for me to use a hoist. I also need the option to move the top around a bit instead of having it hang straight up. Here's what I came up with:

Takes about 8 minutes to pop it off. I can then move it around the garage. Makes putting it back on pretty easy too. I don't bother with the straps anymore, it's stable just on the wood.

View attachment 112210

View attachment 112211

View attachment 112212

View attachment 112213
Wowee
I sure hope you don’t have copyright on your setup lol
The hardtop is coming off our HEEP for the first time in the next few days, just the way you’re doin it

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

Here’s my setup. I made sure to span at least 3 joists in the ceiling and went through the drywall into them with lag bolts. Then mounted the winch to that and I have confidence that it’s plenty strong.

25D9AF42-61C0-4E95-B92E-49D533EEEB16.jpeg

Reactions: Byhumba
I wish I had gone the electric winch route. Instead I used an engine chain wrapped around a ceiling joist with a pulley & hanger from harbor freight for dressing deer, a couple tree savers and a boat cleat to keep it secure. It’s not pretty but it works and I have room to walk under. All in I’m at about $75.
BA3D5C32-91FD-4FE4-A2EE-2C5F92DB0C6D.jpeg
8184CD9D-C996-4B66-85B6-25375EA9415A.jpeg

View attachment 112210

View attachment 112211

View attachment 112212

View attachment 112213
Well, I now have a worthwhile project this weekend!! :)
Respectfully stealing this!! Thanks for the idea!!

This is my set up. I bought an electric mini hoist ($120) and recessed it into the garage roof cavity myself (bit of work but well worth it) . Changed the single power outlet to a double to plug it in. Bought 2 lifting slings ($30) and adjust to the size required and just loop through either side a hook to the lifting clasp. I built a mobile trolley ($150) to lower it onto so I can manoeuvre it into position to remove or replace as well as push it to the summer storage spot in the garage and also be able to utilise some storage space in and under it. One man operation and is simple, neat, safe and easy.

35CC2EDB-0943-458E-A711-565C228B4C62.jpeg

21F75DD9-BC5F-4C62-B095-B435AF25763A.jpeg

BC9DA84C-2B8F-4081-8889-6B71BAB21FBB.jpeg