Do I need adjustable control arms for this lift?

Eddieatx

Supporting Member
hello guys
I have a 3-inch lift with a 2-inch spacer in the front and a 3.5 spring in the back if I go 5 inches spring front and back, do I need to change my control arm as well or 5 inches in the back should be ok with the standard arm?I`m on the budget for this after the front ball joint and steering upgrade

20210510_192941.jpg

You don’t say what CAs you have now, but if they’re not adjustable (or I guess fixed but longer than stock, but that’s a whole different mine field) then yes you’ll need different (adjustable) ones.

5" is a lot of lift for stock lower CA's on a TJ. You're going to run into drive line issues in the rear. Your pinion angle will be too steep which will cause vibrations and eventually damage your rear drive shaft. Assuming you already have a SYE, and an extended driveshaft, you will also need adjustable lower control arms. You don't have to get adjustable uppers but it might help in setting the pinion angle.

Just a quick question, why 5"'s of lift?

i have what looks to be an OEM arm not adjustable but the setup is working fine now but I was thinking to take the spacer out and install 5 inch spring instead ??.

5" is a lot of lift for stock lower CA's on a TJ. You're going to run into drive line issues in the rear. Your pinion angle will be too steep which will cause vibrations and eventually damage your rear drive shaft. Assuming you already have a SYE, and an extended driveshaft, you will also need adjustable lower control arms. You don't have to get adjustable uppers but it might help in setting the pinion angle.

Just a quick question, why 5"'s of lift?
i just don't like the spacer and can get a 5-inch spring for a good price

Reactions: MangoTango
i just don't like the spacer and can get a 5-inch spring for a good price
Ok that makes sense. From your pic those lowers do look stock which is surprising for the amount of lift you have. I would think all your geometry would be off.

Maybe if it rides fine, "Don't fix it if it aint broke"?

Ok that makes sense. From your pic those lowers do look stock which is surprising for the amount of lift you have. I would think all your geometry would be off.

Maybe if it rides fine, "Don't fix it if it aint broke"?
Yap drive ok no vibration or any issue but if I need to change I think I should at least get front and back lower adjustable arm don't you think?

I have a 4" lift and a 1" body lift and I ran my stock front LCA's and UCA's for a while just fine. With that said, I invested in adjustable uppers and lowers for the rear along with an SYE and new rear extended drive shaft and installed them with the lift kit right off the bat. Everything I read said to properly lift a TJ 4"s these things would be critical.

Without knowing your entire build I couldn't honestly say. It probably couldn't hurt to at least get the rear lowers. With new springs you may need to adjust the pinion angle.

Your front driveshaft is a double cardan and is long enough to compensate for the lift so it shouldn't be an issue but if you can swing it budget wise it may also help in the front just in case.

Even 4" of suspension lift is too tall to be without a SYE kit and a rear CV driveshaft which requires rear adjustable control arms so the pinion angle can be adjusted to where it needs to be for the CV driveshaft.

Even 4" of suspension lift is too tall to be without a SYE kit and a rear CV driveshaft which requires rear adjustable control arms so the pinion angle can be adjusted to where it needs to be for the CV driveshaft.
That's why I'm shocked Eddie is on stock CA's with 3"s of spring and 2"s of spacer under the spring.

From the pics it looks like you have stock springs and 2" spacers giving you a 2" lift over stock. If you buy new springs rated for 5"s of lift you may net just under 5"'s to just over 5"s of lift of depending on your build.

This is going to drastically change your pinion angle. I would say at least get rear adjustable LCA's and if you can swing it, get the front's too. This will save you a lot of hassle down the road. You might also want to double check the max lift you can put on with that adams drive shaft just to be safe.

From the pics it looks like you have stock springs and 2" spacers giving you a 2" lift over stock. If you buy new springs rated for 5"s of lift you may net just under 5"'s to just over 5"s of lift of depending on your build.

This is going to drastically change your pinion angle. I would say at least get rear adjustable LCA's and if you can swing it, get the front's too. This will save you a lot of hassle down the road. You might also want to double check the max lift you can put on with that adams drive shaft just to be safe.
i have this spring it says 3 inch
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...l-spring-spacers/rustys-coils-tj-3-front.html

measure from the bottom of the spring to the underside of the upper spring bucket. Stock is 12" - 0.5" spring isolator. Then we'll know how much lift you're dealing with.

that does not look like 5" lift.

Reactions: MichaelGH
measure from the bottom of the spring to the underside of the upper spring bucket. Stock is 12" - 0.5" spring isolator. Then we'll know how much lift you're dealing with.

that does not look like 5" lift.
yes that is the way i measure its 17 inch front and 12 in back

yes that is the way i measure its 17 inch front and 12 in back
huh. well, If it works then i guess you don't need arms? In theory yes, could could replace 3" lift springs and 2" spacers for 5" springs. New springs might net you a little over/under as someone mentioned before.