Do I need both upper and lower adjustable control arms to gain articulation?

MutantNinjaTJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'm thinking about going to some adjustable control arms with Jonnie Joints to increase my articulation front and rear. I'm looking at the Rubicon Express Super Flex units and was wondering, do I need both upper and lowers to gain additional articulation? I know I can adjust pinion angle with just the lowers, but want some input on the limited articulation if I just change the lowers out, since the tops would still have stock bushings in them. Is adding the uppers worth the additional $390?

How much articulation are you missing because of the control arms?

I don't know for sure yet, but when I wheel near the maximum articulation I hear some noise that sounds like the control arms slipping in the mounts and they are tight. I know I'm stressing the control arms

How much travel do the shocks have? What control arms currently?

Gonna pull the springs this weekend and check the amount of articulation I have, see what's binding up, and trim the bump stops. I just thought I would do the control arms while I'm at it. I was just was wondering if I do all of them or just the lowers. Seems like all would be better, but I can save $390 by just doing the lowers. I'm on a 3 + 1 lift and going to add 3/4" spring spacers when I pull the springs.

Rancho 5000X shocks with 14" travel, (I think)
Stock control arms

Stock control arms can be had for $20 piece, and in some instances can outperform aftermarket control arms.

Agree with the others, cycle your suspension and determine what exactly is binding

Reactions: jjvw
I just looked and it's around 8.5".
That's a little more than stock travel, though I don't think the stock arms, in and of themselves, would limit articulation.

Cycling the axles is a good thing to do regardless. You'll see how everything behaves and you can better focus your thinking.

All that being said, I would encourage adjustable control arms to allow you to position the axle and drive lines better than they might be. The more arms you have, the better this can be.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Right where I circled is where the factory arm contacted on the top to the axle. When I went with aftermarket arms that no longer contacted which increased the amount of droop I was getting. That’s what made me pick up 7 more inches

EEDB37E1-3E83-421D-8F72-A881C54C0778.jpeg

99585C6A-1FE8-4974-BE6B-D708DE4A6A55.jpeg

7" of additional down travel with the same shock? That's about 31" between stock shock mounts. Are you using that travel?
20161002_161620.jpg

Trigonometry. Got it. ;)

If the front lower arms are still hitting the mounts, the top of the mounts can be trimmed.

Reactions: ErikOffroad
How much articulation are you missing because of the control arms?
the increased misalignment on quality aftermarket control arms would increase flex on its own correct, assuming the shock has more travel ability?

in my situation with a 2.5 spring lift and stock control arms (with exception to adjustable rear uppers) I'm thinking my OEM control arms are a limiting factor...