Do you carry a concealed handgun?

If I'm awake and standing up...I'm armed. I'll throw you guys a curve....I'm a High School Principal...home today with a sick child.... I carry a handgun to school every single day, as do 5 of my employees

Awesome, great for you! I am a true believer this is the real solution to all of the school shootings going on these days. I think several responsible armed staff members should be a requirement personally.

Glock 19 gen 4. Washington's CPL is easy enough to get. Just fill out an application, get fingerprinted, and pay a fee. If you pass all their investigation stuff, it'll come in the mail in a few weeks.

Reactions: JMT and reddvltj
I carry a little Ruger LCP II in my pocket most days, but also have a Glock 22 that I don't mind carrying. Ive had so many different Glock models for carry guns, it just becomes what feels right.

We have constitutional open carry here. We have constitutional open/concealed carry states to the north and south, so I'm working on getting that here too.

I grew up on a farm and have been shooting as long as I can remember. I got my first gun when kids could still buy ammunition at gas stations. Times they have changed, but the laws have generally been reverting back in the middle of the country.

I can't carry at work, so I haven't bothered with getting a permit. I would advise against trying to break into the house though.

Last edited:
I live in an open carry state and as a young man I realized I had enough trouble keeping myself under control without a gun involved so I stopped carrying in my vehicle. Now that I’m older and not so invincible with kids/wife and have “mellowed” I think about carrying. Most of the time I would need it I’m in New Orleans and drinking😜 so I just stick with situational awareness and avoidance.

still rock the Glock and grandpas Colt 1911 at the homestead

On other boards I frequent, this topic would have been derailed and headed south by the third reply.

This much is true. I've been on a lot of automotive boards over the years and this is the only 'off-topic' section I frequent

Reactions: reddvltj
I am the black sheep of this forum, never owned a gun, no desire to have one (nothing political or anything against, just no interest).
Eh, you're not the only one. I don't own a gun and don't plan on either. Politics aside, I just don't believe a gun is likely to ever be a benefit to me. I'm all for people having the freedom to make that choice for themselves (as long as it doesn't negatively effect me), but I've seen nothing but negative experiences from friends/family who have owned guns themselves.

I've had a friend almost shot in my room when a gun went off during a cleaning. My dad had a gun stolen from his truck (and God knows what it was used for after that). My cousin-in-law also had her fiance die in her arms when he had a drunken, suicidal urge after a party.

For anyone else that is a responsible, level-headed, law-abiding gun owner, I have no issue with them exercising their second amendment right, but from what I've seen in my life, I'll just never have any desire to own one for myself.

To those that work in a "gun free zone" I state that concealed is concealed. I carry daily sometimes open usually concealed. Carry depends on the attire. Open carry is an M&P 2.0 5 inch, concealed most days is an M&P 9C. At work I carry a 5.11 MOAB 10 that has a hidden concealed carry compartment (so I dont print). These go well with my Keltec sub2000 that takes M&P mags I keep in the vehicle. On other days it may be a 642 (hammerless) airweight, or a Glock 42.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/ccw-reciprocity-map/#map
That will show you everything you ever wanted to know about reciprocity with CCW's between states.

I grew up in the mountains of the PNW. With a healthy fear of firearms. I started shooting when I was 5. And ended up shooting a perfect score in the MArine Corps. And being in a sniper platoon.

In CA you used to be able to carry in a locked box. Not so sure anymore. But I was gonna look into it again. Had to take my lock box out of my Yukon. And have just not gotten around to putting it in my Jeep.

I build AK47's. And carry Glocks. The old saying...AK47, Glock & Pie. ;) One of the big reasons I'm moving to WA is gun laws. I know WA isn't getting much better. But it's better than CA.

I just want to mention one thing in reference to above comments. If you were raised right on firearms. You have a "healthy fear" of them. Many people don't realize what this is. They've never operated a dangerous machine. Like a table saw. Or a chain saw. Or a drill press. (Or a car for that matter.) So they don't understand what it's like to operate a dangerous machine like a firearm. If you have a healthy fear you will operate said machine with respect. If not you'll end up shooting yourself in the face. Or lopping a hand off in your table saw. Or bashing your face into a windshield in your car.

If your properly trained to use a dangerous machine. You'll understand the difference between a safe gun owner and an idiot. Kids learn how to operate dangerous machines. Adults can too.

As far as level-headed people are concerned, I'm more concerned with those non-level headed people on the road or trails. I've known a lot of people that died in wrecks and I've been in many bad ones myself, caused by people that were not being responsible (laid a few bikes down this way myself). I still choose to drive, but I have known a few people that refuse to drive.

One reason I carry is due to those that aren't level headed and this is also something I keep in mind when driving, because any tool in the wrong hands is dangerous. Sometimes you gotta let @ssholes be @ssholes and know that revenge or justice isn't your responsibility, but defense of my family, friends, community, self, and country are my responsibility.

A lot of it is urban rural divide. People in larger suburbs don't see the need. Those same people likely never woke up at 2 am to a Racoon murdering their chickens either.

When I was a kid the police was the sheriff and response times depended on where in the county the deputies were located when they got a call and how good they were at reading a map. They might show up in 30 minutes on the best day. The fire department was volunteer and they all drove to the fire station then drove out to the fire from there. So they weren't saving your house, just keeping embers from spreading.

People in some inner cities are getting to the same point for response times. A lot of them don't care what laws are in place and do what they please anyway.

Different worlds. As long people realize we all aren't the same and let us pick and choose what works best locally, I'm fine with anyone's choices.

I did all sorts of dangerous jobs as a kid; breaking horses, driving grain to town, operating heavy machinery, operating spinning and cutting machinery, working cattle, etc., etc., etc. Shooting guns wasn't nearly as dangerous as a lot of farm jobs I had before I was a teenager.

I was once firewatch for a welder in a fairly confined space, ankle deep in oil, forced to wear kevlar sleeves that were catching on fire as he cut access holes through steel with a torch. Well everything around all of us was going up in flames and we couldn't even breath in there from all of the chemicals in the fire extinguishers, but he was a pro and that was business as usual, besides having to pause and remove the kevlar that was keeping the embers against his skin, which were required for our safety forms. That kind of stuff was fun.

The urban/rural is definitely a divide, but also it seems like those that are used to making things and tools vs those that don't. I went rural to urban and back to rural and want to get further rural. In rural, if you don't hear shooting there's a problem. In urban areas (high density populations) robbery, violence and crime are rampant, but where I came from carrying a firearm only made sense. If there's a higher rate of individuals that want to do harm, then I have a higher likelihood of encountering a bad guy. I still had stuff stolen, but no one stuck a gun or knife in my face, as others I knew had experienced.

For the guys I worked with at shops for the most part many carried firearms and even guys that were pro Union and Democrats and all that stuff that's painted as pro gun control, but those jobs, tend to be moving outside of cities. Whereas more office and service type jobs have moved into cities and those are often filled by those that grew up in that high density environment, may not really even notice the violence around them and didn't have much interest in "mechanical things", I guess they just tended to hold onto the fear of the tool rather than the violence and theft, which was often pushed by other like minded individuals and it almost seems to be more socially generated than fact or personal opinion generated. And yet generally those people to your face will say they don't have any problems with certain people carrying, however those people seem to give into some narratives and phrases that are used to keep certain people from carrying, which does concern me, because my and your rights come from my/your creator, not the US. The US just guarantees us that they will not infringe on our natural rights.

I don't mean to say anything bad about those that don't carry, but I really think we as a people are responsible for all of our safety. Cover my back, I cover yours. Police are there for justice, not defense. We don't have to be a police state, but we can be a free one. And remember if you're an @ss to your neighbor, he's packing so be polite, be kind, be useful, and be responsible it's your duty, not because it's the law, but because it's right.

In Michigan a permit is required for concealed carry and the only state I travel through that doesn't recognize my permit is Illinois. My question was for someone from a state that does not require a permit to CC. For example, is someone from AZ allowed to CC in a state that requires a permit? I'm sure all states are different and admittedly I'm not up on MI CC laws as I should be but I'm curious.
Idaho does not require a permit to conceal. With out a permit I am not legally allowed to CC in any other state that has laws requiring a permit. Now if I renew my permit some states do reciprocate but not all of my neighboring states do. WA, NV, and OR do not honor Idaho's permit but WA and NV do honor the Idaho enhanced permit, Oregon however does issue non-resident.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/ccw-reciprocity-map/#map

Sadly, all my firearms were lost in the Great Lake Wenatchee Canoe Tipover Tragedy of 2019. My story, sticking to it.
Had that not been the case, my EDC was a Kahr CW40. Open or concealed depending on circumstances. Hunting season and when I was still running sled dogs I’d carry a single six Ruger .41 Mag loaded for bear and moose.

I never thought .357 magnum wouldn't be enough, but a lady here was mauled by a deer this year and I read about a lady down south who was killed by a wild hog.

There have been mountain lions in this city recently. And one morning a couple years ago I woke up and there was a large buck standing on my back patio. After the lady was attacked, maybe he was sizing me up while I was drinking my coffee.

If I find a .44 magnum, it may be worth the upgrade. But wild hogs are illegal here so we don't have any. They caught a guy hauling piglets up to Ohio to start a hunting preserve. That keeps people from importing them to escape later.

Last edited:
Reactions: BugoutJeep
Sadly, all my firearms were lost in the Great Lake Wenatchee Canoe Tipover Tragedy of 2019. My story, sticking to it.
Had that not been the case, my EDC was a Kahr CW40. Open or concealed depending on circumstances. Hunting season and when I was still running sled dogs I’d carry a single six Ruger .41 Mag loaded for bear and moose.
Similar story here. All of my beloved firearms were tragically lost in a horrible boating accident. I have since acquired a highly modified rock that if need be can be left at the scene should it be necessary. I conceal it, well let’s just say, it can’t easily be seen, and if I drop it you really don’t want to pick it up. Although I do drive a TJ, I can blend like the faceless man at the mall, or on the trail! I open carry a slingshot, for all to see, and to fear. I am not afraid, and will “stand my ground” in a heartbeat!
All joking aside, I carry every day because I can. What I carry, and how changes with my activity, my attire, and destination.
“At a time where most people are losing their minds, that’s when you need to keep yours the most!”

Last edited: