Do you carry a concealed handgun?

Have had a concealed permit for years now but have never carried a gun anywhere other than the range or back country to plink crap. Group of us got the permits because the base was offering a good deal.

Instructors told us if you’re leaving the house and think, man I better bring my gun.. well you probably don’t need to be going there. Besides I’m not leaving it in a Jeep for one (with or without a lock box) and also many places in Texas anyway forbid weapons on their premises. Bars, restaurants, sporting events, etc.

And this is just me but I’d be a little careful about posting pics of your arsenals online. Google some of this thread now and it’ll come up. Maybe it’s not a big deal but the way shit is going down these days man you never know.

Any of you ever get pulled over and forget to show the cop your concealed permit? Holy shit they get pissed when they find out on their own.
I was broke down on the side of the highway, while waiting for AAA a WSP trooper stopped to check on me. The first thing I did was place both hands on the steering wheel and told him I hand a handgun on the seat next to me. He said thank you, I was just checking to make sure you didn't need help. I told him AAA was on the way, he said have a nice day and left.

I'm not criticizing your choice, it's yours to make, but no one needs one...until they do, and then they don't have one, and then they get one after the fact, if they lived to do so, but they didn't have it when they needed it.
Sometimes. Sometimes it goes the other way. Even educated, responsible adults make mistakes with guns and it only takes one mistake to result in someone innocent being shot. Even without mistakes, the fatality of guns can make them a dangerous temptation to someone when life gets dark. I would have same the same thing about my cousin's fiance, who was in his early 20s, had a stable job, and was engaged to someone that loved him more than anything else.

The point is, there's a human element behind every gun. It's the same reason why people say "guns don't kill people; people kill people".

And human beings have lots of biases that make us over estimate our own strengths and superiority above others.

I was raised around guns, I know how to handle them safely, I know how to use them, I've had role models that have shown me how to handle them respectfully. Maybe if I owned one, I could be some hero to save myself or someone I care about from some bad situation in the future.

Maybe.

Or maybe it could go differently.

Unknowns are unknown, but I've just had enough life experiences to see the dark side of how gun ownership can go wrong, even when in responsible hands, so I'll take my chances without one.

(P.s. if anyone reading this has ever struggled with suicidal thoughts, please reach out and talk to someone. https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/)

Reactions: Byhumba
Since we just moved to a new state I have not carried. This thread reminds me to get my stuff together here. There is open carry here and concealed is a ‘shall’ issue.
When I carry it’s either a

Sig Sauer P238 (.380) pocket pistol
HK USP Compact (.357 Sig) on my hip

I’d like to move to Glock’s and stick with 45’s and 9’s.

Reactions: Vasq and reddvltj
I'm not criticizing your choice, it's yours to make, but no one needs one...until they do, and then they don't have one, and then they get one after the fact, if they lived to do so, but they didn't have it when they needed it.
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

prayerfully, I will never need

Just food for thought. On one of my family members' farms, they had some kind of meth or drug operation occurring on it. Those kids doing that were very brazen and running their atvs and stuff rampant. After several encounters and theft and stuff destroyed, the police after a few YEARS got all the guys arrested and there's not been an incident since. We still encounter poachers and luckily no incidents, but when you encounter criminals, I know I would rather have options.

Some of the places we frequent off-road have the potential to be places where drugs and stuff are made and often protected by bad people. Be wary when you're out because it's guys out there exploring, hunting, hiking, etc off the beaten path that encounter these people and all kinds of wildlife. Sometimes wildlife we are told aren't in our area turn up unexpectedly. For example bear encounters are fairly rare, but if you are out in their territory, especially hunting, bear encounters are much more frequent.

Luckily in a time with unprecedented lack of violent crime relative to population most of us will never have to defend ourselves or family. However practice makes perfect and I don't want to wait until I needed something that can be used to save lives. And the practice makes you more responsible and have more respect and it makes you useful. You must be restrained. And those that carry, it's a good thing if you're scared. Part of being responsible is making the worst decisions as well as you can. You're not going to have people thanking you, but it does give me more gratitude to our first responders. Police officers, military personnel and other first responders have to live with this knowledge and it's usually not about wanting to be a hero. It's about taking up the slack in your life and in your community. It's about not complaining or waiting for someone else to do a messy job.

Suicide is simply at a high rate in general. Alcohol and drugs really seem to gather around those that are suicidal and especially those that follow through. Yes a firearm makes it easy, but it's a tool just like pills and hanging. Suicide is a much bigger societal issue and in my case has no basis if I carry or not. I know what I want in life and I know that if I can protect it I will do so with every ounce of my being and if I can't I will grieve and cherish the moments.

I simply don't understand being suicidal. In many ways I think like a wild animal, only reigned in from living in the wild due to my wife and family. I have always found satisfaction in being useful in some form. Of course even when I've been injured and knew the possibility of losing abilities I craved, I found that I was so happy to be alive. And though ultimately injuries have closed some doors, they have brought purpose and clarification to my life.

Advent of CHPs has calmed me down on the roadways not that I was any kind of hot head to begin with but someone cuts me off or does something stupid I may tap the horn out of reaction and that’s it. Never know who’s having a really bad day and carrying at the same time. Pretty sad but that’s the times we live in.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I have always been the type that if I am faced with a shitstorm, I felt it better to go ahead and go through it to get it over with. My fuse is short, and I can’t stand stupid, entitlement, me me me attitudes, thug life types, chest beaters, those that think they know what’s best for me more than I do myself, crooks, thieves, people that just fuck you over because they just happen to be in a position to, etc. I have walked away from those situations every time I’ve been given the opportunity to, and I chose to surround myself with level headed, intelligent, capable people. I don’t give a rats ass what color you are, or how tall or short you may be, or if you can run a marathon at the drop of a hat. I enjoy learning from others, and look for their experience when I’m faced with a challenge I don’t entirely understand. I want to enjoy your company, enthusiasm, and your passion if I find it interesting. I back the blue, and all other first responders that do it for the right reasons. I also thank God I am alive every day I wake up, for my beautiful wife, for my children, and for the fact that I was born here in the United States. Our differences are really not an issue with me unless you make it one. If the color of your skin is the reason for you being the way you are, then chances are we can’t be friends. I take it like you don’t like me because my TJ is black, and you think a white one works, runs, or rides better. Petty shit and I don’t get along very well, and I will probably walk away from you. If you are worthy of my friendship, I will give you the shirt off my back without you asking. I honestly try to understand what makes people tick, what’s important to them, and will help you if I’m able to, because I want to. I carry a gun because I can. Not to be a hero of any type, but only because there are people, and other things that wish to do harm if given the chance to, and I am no spring chicken anymore. I am the only one in my family that carries as well.
- Edited to add, I don’t think I’m special or better than anyone. I’m not the best at anything except being me. The guns that I carry may not be the best there is, or the most expensive, or even pretty to look at, and I’m sure there are better ones to have, but I don’t own them. I have spent extensive hours to ensure the ones that I do have work every time for me. Currently polishing the trigger pieces, and a few other parts on one now, to see if I can make it more accurate. No, I’m not sitting in my mothers basement in my underwear hugging on it and whispering my precious to it, or drinking DrPepper.

Last edited:
I have always been the type that if I am faced with a shitstorm, I felt it better to go ahead and go through it to get it over with. My fuse is short, and I can’t stand stupid, entitlement, me me me attitudes, thug life types, chest beaters, those that think they know what’s best for me more than I do myself, crooks, thieves, people that just fuck you over because they just happen to be in a position to, etc. I have walked away from those situations every time I’ve been given the opportunity to, and I chose to surround myself with level headed, intelligent, capable people. I don’t give a rats ass what color you are, or how tall or short you may be, or if you can run a marathon at the drop of a hat. I enjoy learning from others, and look for their experience when I’m faced with a challenge I don’t entirely understand. I want to enjoy your company, enthusiasm, and your passion if I find it interesting. I back the blue, and all other first responders that do it for the right reasons. I also thank God I am alive every day I wake up, for my beautiful wife, for my children, and for the fact that I was born here in the United States. Our differences are really not an issue with me unless you make it one. If the color of your skin is the reason for you being the way you are, then chances are we can’t be friends. I take it like you don’t like me because my TJ is black, and you think a white one works, runs, or rides better. Petty shit and I don’t get along very well, and I will probably walk away from you. If you are worthy of my friendship, I will give you the shirt off my back without you asking. I honestly try to understand what makes people tick, what’s important to them, and will help you if I’m able to, because I want to. I carry a gun because I can. Not to be a hero of any type, but only because there are people, and other things that wish to do harm if given the chance to, and I am no spring chicken anymore. I am the only one in my family that carries as well.
Very well said.

Reactions: Fixer6
I want to but I live in California and I heard it can take months to get it. Im planning to move out of California once I get enough money to get move out. I am planing on getting my concealed carry license. What hand gun should I get for concealed carry?

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I want to but I live in California and I heard it can take months to get it. Im planning to move out of California once I get enough money to get move out. I am planing on getting my concealed carry license. What hand gun should I get for concealed carry?
As someone totally unqualified to answer your question, I would recommend a close re-read of this thread as there were numerous answers of what and why they chose to carry a specific gun. If you think you might like a specific recommended one maybe pm the person. They will likely give you a much more thorough answer than replying back in this thread which will totally derail this into "my gun is better than yours....";)

Reactions: Chris and reddvltj
(P.s. if anyone reading this has ever struggled with suicidal thoughts, please reach out and talk to someone. https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/)
You should probably add a disclaimer that if you do call, do not give them any way of knowing who or where you are. People have been killed from cops rolling to a call with wrong or incomplete info and the person in crisis reacts badly to a surprise visit. "Disturbed individual with a gun" sounds a lot different than "suicidal person might inflict personal harm".

- Edited to add, I don’t think I’m special or better than anyone. I’m not the best at anything except being me. The guns that I carry may not be the best there is, or the most expensive, or even pretty to look at, and I’m sure there are better ones to have, but I don’t own them. I have spent extensive hours to ensure the ones that I do have work every time for me. Currently polishing the trigger pieces, and a few other parts on one now, to see if I can make it more accurate. No, I’m not sitting in my mothers basement in my underwear hugging on it and whispering my precious to it, or drinking DrPepper.
Something tells me you and I would get along. LOL. no sarcasm. Truly enjoyed reading this. Thanks!

So that we don't derail this thread, if you haven't watched the videos from Hickok45, go do that. Watching him will guide your decision better than I think any of us can. There are probably dozens of guns that are good for conceal carry. Which one you should get? depends on many factors. In then end, you will be the only one that can answer that question.

Gun laws are one of those topics that I've found worthless to debate; people have their minds made up and nothing will sway them. That said, ultimately you and your family's safety lies with no one but yourself and it's up to you how you're going to achieve it. No government agency is going to provide that level of personal security in your life.

Shooter preference turns into an expensive, irrational, and ever changing hobby and CCW constantly changes you.

I vote go fanny pack and no one will mess with you anyway, but you will have the convenience of a nice way to conceal with a fair amount of room to EDC some pretty useful supplies.