Do you drain your compressor after every use?

probably need to pick this up back here in Oklahoma. I opened the drain in Colorado before I loaded it into the moving truck (having not drained it in a year) and no water came out. I just got it out for the first time last week and let it run for 10 minutes before realizing the drain was still open.

It's a craftsman 33 gallon that's at least 20 years old...maybe 25. I used it at my dad's house in high school and he gave it to me about 5 years ago 'cause his needs had shifted and he was fine with the little pancake. My brother had it for a while in there and I would bet he never drained it...he's not exactly programmed to think of safety or long term...He cut the ground pin off the plug so he could plug it in to an ungrounded extension cord. :rolleyes:

When people say drain does everybody mean drain water or do some people blow down the entire tank? I just drain water until it blows clean. I have seen a few people empty the whole tank when they are done and always wonder who misunderstood drain, me or them.

When people say drain does everybody mean drain water or do some people blow down the entire tank? I just drain water until it blows clean. I have seen a few people empty the whole tank when they are done and always wonder who misunderstood drain, me or them.

I let the whole thing blow down, because I only do it when I'm not gonna use it for a while and it will have leaked down anyway, and I'd rather just pop it open and go inside than wait for the water to stop and close it again.

If I had a permanent installation piped up in a shop and kept it on all the time or used it even on a weekly basis, I'd probably just do what you describe and close it back off once the water stops.

Reactions: pagrey
Drain the water for me, until water stops, or sometimes vapor.

Here is a tip/trick when draining for all,

tap the tank with your knuckles, or for whimpy types, a soft tap with a deadblow about 30secs before you bleed the water, the tiny droplets will fall to be evacuated. To see how well it works, drain then tap, watch a few seconds later.

Tell me how dangerous it is, I get it. If you hit the tank with your knuckles and they bleed, either man up or don't hit as hard. Use logic when you tap it with a deadblow, about as hard as a good whack with knuckles.

Last edited:
I let the whole thing blow down, because I only do it when I'm not gonna use it for a while and it will have leaked down anyway, and I'd rather just pop it open and go inside than wait for the water to stop and close it again.

If I had a permanent installation piped up in a shop and kept it on all the time or used it even on a weekly basis, I'd probably just do what you describe and close it back off once the water stops.
Ditto to the first, but I'd put in an automatic drain in a permanent installation.

Depends on how often I'm using it, but at least once a day. A ton of water comes out of it that can't be good sitting in the tank.

Here in the dry desert I drain it every few months. I have never had more than 2 cups of water come out of the 20 gal tank. I learned the hard way not to drain it on the shop floor. Leaves a nasty stain. When I worked construction in Wisconsin back in the day we drained the nail gun compressor first thing in the morning and after lunch. I was told it was better to drain the tank when it’s cool and all the water condenses. Draining the tank does not prevent rust it maintains storage capacity and helps keep water out of the line. Even after you drain the tank there is plenty of moisture and oxygen for rust formation.

Every time I use mine:

Excell Compressor.jpg

I had a five Gal in NC. Drained it every time I used it. Left for the military leaving it at home for about 8 years. When I came back to NC. It only had about a gal of space left for the air.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba