Does 5 1/4” bump stop extension sound right for rear bump stop extension?

Shaydon15

Does 5 1/4” bump stop extension sound right for rear extension? I jacked it up until the shock bottomed out and there’s a 4 3/4” gap between bottom of cup and landing.. thats seems like a lot. Help?

How can anybody here tell you the right amount of bump stop unless you tell us how much lift you have, how big your tires are, and post photos.

There is no one size fits all for bump stop. It’s going to vary from vehicle to vehicle, regardless of what Lyft and what size tires are installed. Posting photos however would at least help us guide you in the right direction.

Does 5 1/4” bump stop extension sound right for rear extension? I jacked it up until the shock bottomed out and there’s a 4 3/4” gap between bottom of cup and landing.. thats seems like a lot. Help?
No it doesn’t sound right (at least for any normal tire size on any TJ axle) , but you need to pull springs and cycle. How are you testing this bump stop change? What lift and tire size are you on? If you’re following the @garagecouple methodology of tossing 38s on a stock rubicon you’re doing it wrong.

How can anybody here tell you the right amount of bump stop unless you tell us how much lift you have, how big your tires are, and post photos.

There is no one size fits all for bump stop. It’s going to vary from vehicle to vehicle, regardless of what Lyft and what size tires are installed. Posting photos however would at least help us guide you in the right direction.
Well I guess I’m question was is 5 inches of bump stop a lot? I’ve been seeing them online and it showed 2-4 inches commonly. 5 just seems like a lot. But if 5 inches doesn’t seem like somethings wrong. That’s what I’m seeing is what I’m needing so 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ 4 inch lift, 33 inch tires.

No it doesn’t sound right (at least for any normal tire size on any TJ axle) , but you need to pull springs and cycle. How are you testing this bump stop change? What lift and tire size are you on? If you’re following the @garagecouple methodology of tossing 38s on a stock rubicon you’re doing it wrong.
I did pull springs and cycled and shocks bottom out with about 5 inches of a gap..

It sounds like you may have the wrong shocks, what are you running right now?
I’ve got bilsteins.
C4282916-03C7-40C8-9508-5B130268D486.jpeg

If the bump stop extension matches the compressed shock then it is the appropriate amount. If the shock travel is roughly 50/50 at ride height then the shock is the right size.

Reactions: rasband
If the bump stop extension matches the compressed shock then it is the appropriate amount. If the shock travel is roughly 50/50 at ride height then the shock is the right size.
So that’s where I just don’t know because 5 inches sounds like a lot, but with compressed shocks. I have a 5 inch gap. So I guess I just need to get 5 inches of extension…

So that’s where I just don’t know because 5 inches sounds like a lot, but with compressed shocks. I have a 5 inch gap. So I guess I just need to get 5 inches of extension…
Start with answering the shock travel question.

Reactions: rasband
ride heights at about 20 1/2”, shock max extensions 24.63, minimum is 14.98. So right about the middle.
Now extend the bumps so that the jounces slow the speed of the shock as it reaches full compression. The number is what it is. The best way to figure this out is to remove the springs and fully cycle the axle. Raise the axle all the way up until the shocks are fully compressed. Add as much extension as is needed to make the steel cup touch the axle pad.

Reactions: AndyG
Now extend the bumps so that the jounces slow the speed of the shock as it reaches full compression. The number is what it is. The best way to figure this out is to remove the springs and fully cycle the axle. Raise the axle all the way up until the shocks are fully compressed. Add as much extension as is needed to make the steel cup touch the axle pad.
Okay, I got a picture of my rear for ya 😂
C0A27D35-B1FF-48AA-9D1A-281C18173E0C.jpeg
shouldn’t my jounce bumper cup be extended? Or is this stock?