Does anyone actually spend this much money on clothes?

Also, for some of the shoes stuff, particularly with brands like Nike, I can understan

Yea, it was finding jeans at Buckle that had additional flex in them that turned me on to the idea of shopping there. Good to know that there may be cheaper options out there for that though.

Yes, I was on that quest as well to find jeans with extra flex. Lucky was the only ones I was finding who had spandex in their jeans, but they wanted over $100 a pair! That's why I'm glad I stumbled onto American Eagle, because they regularly have buy two for $75 on jeans.

Here's the style I buy:
https://www.ae.com/men-straight-jea...S-cUSD&stretch=ne-x-t-level-flex&N=4294964781

You'll see they're all labeled as "Next Level Flex".

And look at the prices too!

Reactions: Equilibrium31
Quick side note as I looked at the American Eagle website:

I find it absolutely hilarious that "mom" and "dad" jeans are now a fashionable style.

Dad Jeans: https://www.ae.com/men-jeans-dad-jean-dark-wash/web/s-prod/1114_4433_896?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat10027
1114_4433_896_of?$PDP_78_Main$.jpg

Mom Jeans: https://www.ae.com/women-mom-jean-always-vintage/web/s-prod/0436_1083_447?cm=sUS-cUSD
0436_1083_447_of?$PDP_78_Main$.jpg

Quick side note as I looked at the American Eagle website:

I find it absolutely hilarious that "mom" and "dad" jeans are now a fashionable style.

Dad Jeans: https://www.ae.com/men-jeans-dad-jean-dark-wash/web/s-prod/1114_4433_896?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat10027
View attachment 54877

Mom Jeans: https://www.ae.com/women-mom-jean-always-vintage/web/s-prod/0436_1083_447?cm=sUS-cUSD
View attachment 54878

Haha, I noticed that as well!

Those Mom jeans look like something from the 80s or 90s with the waist coming above the belly button.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
Nike has turned itself into a lifestyle brand, and in some ways good for them, they have been very successful at it. They sort of created a ath-leasure fashion trend which love it or hate it, is big business.

I used to distance run a lot, and Nike shoes are just not great for most people wanting to run any sort of distance (half-full marathon etc). They don’t have enough support and aren’t attuned to pronation/supination and sort of just average shoes. I still like a lot of their stuff (although sometimes pricey) but my first bit of advice to new runners is go and get properly fitted for running shoes, and most people don’t walk out a running store with Nike’s.

Totally agree. I ran track in college and Nike’s shoes just wouldn’t last. My racing spikes were the only Nike product I would use. But they would only see 100 meter or 200 meter races. For training I gravitated toward new balance, saucony or ASICS. Much better foot support and the shoes would last the entire indoor and outdoor seasons.

Reactions: Artemis
They have a Nike outlet store near me in Woodburn, Oregon as well as an Under Armour outlet store. The Nike one occasionally has some good deals, but I never really look too much. I always go to the Under Armour store because I can usually score a set of shoes for $60 or less, which is a good deal to me. I actually very much like running in my Under Armour shoes, they're comfortable.

The Nike stores in Chehalis and Burlington are factory clearance stores, and are a million times better than the store in Woodburn.

The Nike stores in Chehalis and Burlington are factory clearance stores, and are a million times better than the store in Woodburn.

I wasn't aware of that! I thought they were all the same. Makes sense though now that you tell me.

Reactions: zebra12
I know this isn't an original thought, but I always viewed Nike as a marketing firm that has a nice side business making shoes and apparel.

As a manufacturer, they are just ok. Most of their stuff is fair to good.

As a marketing firm? They are a master class. And that's what allows them to sell otherwise average apparel at premium prices.

I know this isn't an original thought, but I always viewed Nike as a marketing firm that has a nice side business making shoes and apparel.

As a manufacturer, they are just ok. Most of their stuff is fair to good.

As a marketing firm? They are a master class. And that's what allows them to sell otherwise average apparel at premium prices.
Yea, that's very true. I mean, when was the last time you heard someone say "I only buy Nike products because of the quality!"

They've also played a major role in making sneakers collector items. I mean, just look at the prices that some pairs of Air Jordans sell for:
https://financesonline.com/top-10-m...-michael-jordans-flu-game-shoes-top-the-list/

Reactions: skrelnik
I’m pretty frugal about spending on clothes but since I’ve been the same clothing size for thirty years I get my mileage out of purchases. That being said, there have been great advances in fabrics since I was a kid and some of the cold weather gear now available is great but can be expensive. I’ve bought a few things only after researching it. On a side note, one of my favorites is a flannel lined pair of Carhartts that will see some time in the TJ this fall before the top goes up.

Reactions: UpperMI
I believe the overpriced name brands like Nike and many others have really high prices to give the impression they are better. To me this is an old school sales methodology to trick humans into thinking one product is better than the other. While not similar, another strategy is when Wal-Mart introduced odd pricing, or when stores end prices in 99, like $19.99 vs $20.00.

Back to Nike, now we think holy cow, that kid is wearing a $70 shirt, that family must be rich, which in turns makes a lot of people insecure/jealous, and then think those people are better than me, so I must buy one to "Keep up with the Joneses", which for a lot of people is a person's benchmark.

Now that $70 shirt actually sells to a lot of people, people that cannot afford it but they want it so bad because they think it will elevate thier social class and win them friends and acceptance from their peers.

Then certain people, like me and hopefully all of us Jeep owners, we wait for that $70 shirt to be "uncool", like it is now last season's shirt so it sells for $25, or you hit up TJ Maxx and buy that same shirt for $7 because it was a defective one with half the Nike swoosh symbol missing.

In conclusion, I'd rather save money to buy Jeep parts or travel with the family rather than thinking my kids friends parents will like me more because I have the latest, greatest and most expensive Nike t-shirt.

Ever been to a Nieman Marcus? There is one here in Atlanta that I "browsed" in. First pair of pants I saw were a standard pair of jeans for $750. Damn things better give you super powers for that price!

Ever been to a Nieman Marcus? There is one here in Atlanta that I "browsed" in. First pair of pants I saw were a standard pair of jeans for $750. Damn things better give you super powers for that price!

Absolutely absurd. It blows my mind people would spend that much on clothes... even if I was filthy rich, I wouldn't be wasting money like that on clothes... Sheesh.

In high school 2 years ago I’d mow about 10 to 15 lawns to be able to get my hands on some retro Jordan’s every now and then I don’t know what I was thinking. Now with a Jeep I also don’t know what I’m doing, just love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: skrelnik and Chris
T.J. Maxx and Marshalls is where I get my stuff. Name brand clothes on the cheap. However, I will buy American Eagle flex jeans, most comfortable jeans that fit me well. I've tried some other flex brand jeans but AE just feel the best. Broke my pelvis years ago and I don't need anything else restricting movement in my legs.
I try not to pay more than $35 for a pair of shoes, but I will drop some coin on a good pair of cowboy boots. They will last about 3-4 years and break in like a good pair of soft shoes.