Does anyone know what this is?

sohllis

I just noticed this part was missing a piece that kept this together. I'm not too familiar with part names but it's located on the front passenger side. I have also noticed when I'm turning to the right, it feels like my rig is leaning a bit much (downwards) on the rear driver side while the right passenger side feels higher.

When I looked at the driver front to see if both ends were the same, I noticed it was similar except it had a 1 1/2 inch rod with a thinner rod seated through one of the pinholes to keep it from coming out.

I can take more photos if need be.

Could this be the reason why my rig is leaning to one side when I'm turning even at very low speeds?

image1.jpeg

Looks like you're missing the bolt and nut that retains the front sway bar end link. Yes, that would make it sway more than usual.

Reactions: skrelnik
looks like someone made sway bar disconnects, the cotter pin fell out of that side and the bolt dropped. I would take off the one you have and walk into home depot, fasenal or what ever you have around and see if they can match it. for now any shoulder bolt and nut will hold it until proper part can be found.

If you have a bolt that will fit the hole in the link end, and is long enough to put a nut on, even temporarily, it would be better than driving around with that loose. You will be amazed at the difference with that connected.

Reactions: skrelnik
I would redo both sides. The side connected looks like a poor fit. I replaced both of those arms with disconnects for a very reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sohllis
So I picked up a pair of clevis pins and washers as shown in the thread provided by @bigwheels88 and took it for a quick spin around my neighborhood and the problem hasn't changed. It still leans when turning as I described. However, upon further inspection I did notice the arm is slightly bent. Is this normal? The arm on the driver side is completely straight whereas the arm on the passenger side is slightly bent. The second photo attached will show this.

Is a pair of new sway bar link disconnects my next steps?

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

That's a sloppy way to make disconnects. The pin really ought to be bolted securely to the mount so that there is no movement when everything is connected.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: billiebob
Lots of folks seem to like the JKS quick disconnects. I bought a set myself that I'll be using. Rokmen has the best price out there, but do yourself a favor and call them first and make sure they have them in stock. Just trust me on that. Otherwise, Amazon has sellers, as well.

Looks like the clevis pin I installed needed some time to set in because it's handling a lot better than it was. I'll hold off on the JKS sway bar links for now and work out other kinks that need to be addressed. Thanks for all the help.

Lots of folks seem to like the JKS quick disconnects. I bought a set myself that I'll be using. Rokmen has the best price out there, but do yourself a favor and call them first and make sure they have them in stock. Just trust me on that. Otherwise, Amazon has sellers, as well.
I swear I read somewhere that you've been advised to start wrenching and stop buying.
I think you are a hoarder Squatch!

I own a Canadian Jeep Wrangler TJ 2002. Both sway bar tie links are bent and identical on driver side and passenger side. Both are held at the bottom by a Torx bolt going through the rubber insert of the link and secured by a spacer and a nut a the other end. Here is a picture of what I have.

upload_2018-4-8_15-24-48.png