Does anyone not run a rear sway bar?

Dan_man

Supporting Member
So this is my first Tj and my last jeep (88xj) I didn’t run any sway bars and it was ok because it never saw freeway and maybe 2000 miles a year on road also my wife never drove it. I was wondering if anyone gets rid of the rear sway bar and just keeps the front with disconnects? And if so how does it drive?

Most here will encourage keeping the factory rear sway bar followed by a lighter rate front.

Reactions: Alex01
Most here will encourage keeping the factory rear sway bar followed by a lighter rate front.
Does the number of folks who recommend keeping it matter more than the why? I'd rather see one person do something correctly than a 100 do it wrong. Building by committee or consensus typically does little more than get you the average. If you want the average, that is a good way to do it.

If history is a decent guide, the next post from the OP will be one of surprise that sway bars might be desirable. Then the discussion would move into the technical aspects of why.

Ok I my Jeep will maybe see 3000-5000 miles a rear with very little freeway driving. With my last Jeep i didn’t maybe 100 miles total freeway and 5000 total over the 5 years I had it. My Commute to work if you wanna call it one is less than 2 1/2 miles each way and I ride my bike when it’s nice out. That’s why I ask. Is there anyone on here that runs just a front sway bar and now rear sway bar?

Ok so maybe I should re-formulate my question. For the people that don’t run one how does it handle now that you don’t have one. I didn’t want to get flamed for asking a question but shit it feels that way. It’s not like I’m a newbie to automotive I have over 15 years experience as an automotive and equipment technician with multiple AC certifications if that matters(it really only does at my shop lol) but either way. I just wanted to see how they drive with the rear sway bar off before I try it.

Ok so maybe I should re-formulate my question. For the people that don’t run one how does it handle now that you don’t have one. I didn’t want to get flamed for asking a question but shit it feels that way. It’s not like I’m a newbie to automotive I have over 15 years experience as an automotive and equipment technician with multiple AC certifications if that matters(it really only does at my shop lol) but either way. I just wanted to see how they drive with the rear sway bar off before I try it.
There is really no accurate way to answer how your rig will do without it. I'd suggest that you try it carefully and see what it is like. Too many other variables to know otherwise.

There were a handful of TJs that came from the factory with only a front sway bar. Give it a try and see what you think of it.

With regard to front disconnects without a rear bar, the discussion changes a bit. The TJ suspension is a faster and more compliant suspension than your XJ with rear leafs. Sway bars can add valuable stability off road. The factory rear is soft enough to not restrict articulation, while still providing some stability when the stiff factory front is disconnected.

The dramatic degradation in handling I noticed on a twisty mountain road happened right after one of the two rear antiswaybar links broke. That eliminated the function of the rear antiswaybar. Even the 3 Boy Scouts riding with me at the time noticed the difference.

I didn't know about that. Was it unintentional?

Unintentional or not, my understanding is that they were base model 4 cylinders. People will occasionally use this as justification to get rid of the rear since the factory didn't always provide them.

It is all about engineering for the end use.

As Jerry said. The rear link broke, the difference was noticeable on a twisty mountain road.... In a Trans Am it might be unacceptable.... In a TJ? you decide. Not an issue. Yes, handling is better with both factory sway bars. Yes, the Currie AntiRock bars front and rear are a great articulation/handling compromise. Yes sway bar disconnects are a cheap way to increase articulation off road. But no driving without sway bars in is not an "unsafe" condition. It just changes the handling characteristics. I'm not sure but I'd bet CJs came without sway bars in 1986.

It is all about compromise. You want articulation, pull the sway bars.
You want a canyon carver, get stiffer sway bars.
It is about handling, not safety.

A favourite video. this is vintage racing. I can't confirm it but the 1959 T-Bird has no sway bars
The driver has several LeMans class wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: RonnieS
. I'm not sure but I'd bet CJs came without sway bars in 1986.

They did, but there was a lot of BS about how unsafe and prone to rollover they were so when the YJ was introduced the next year, it came with sway bars even though it still had the less compliant leaf springs.

Reactions: RonnieS
I have front and rear sway bars, and have never removed my rear one, so I have no input as to how it behaves, I'm just curios why you would want to remove it.

I do think that thinking "inside" the box, aka group, think leads to nothing. It seems like there is a specific reason why you ask this, and I'm just curious what it is.

I have front and rear sway bars, and have never removed my rear one, so I have no input as to how it behaves, I'm just curios why you would want to remove it.

I do think that thinking "inside" the box, aka group, think leads to nothing. It seems like there is a specific reason why you ask this, and I'm just curious what it is.
Likely because some have heard doing so will allow the rear axle to flex more easily when offroad. While that's true with the leaf spring YJ, it's not true with the coil spring TJ. At least when talking about usable flex.

Sorry wrong video.... but why edit it... here is the T-Bird.

Might want to watch it on a bigger screen perhaps. The front sway bar on that thing is massive.
tbird swaybar.PNG

Reactions: derekmac