Does Anyone Use Lucas Additives?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey do any of you use Lucas oil additive ? I’ve read and heard great reviews and comments about it.
I was thinking about using 1/2 qt. With this next oil change. What your opinion.

image.jpg

I have used the power punch oil additive in the past. It had seemed to help quiet down my noisy valve drain. After doing some recent research I had found that it wasn’t recommended. And in some cases could do more harm than good. I recently called Valvoline to inquire about a specific product. The gentleman I spoke with assured me that the additives in brand name off-the-shelf oil contained plenty of the needed additives to keep drained in running right. When throwing in another additive into a specific oils formula it can create some problems. He also assured me nobody had some magic potion in a bottle and then today’s competitive world between brand-name oils they are making the best product they possibly can while still keeping it cost effective.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I used to use it in my 95 XJ with 260,000 miles because the valve seals were toast and the Lucas helped with the oil burning. Never had any issues with it.

That said, I'd never use it in my TJ. I don't use any additives, just straight 10w-30, and that's the advice you'll see on this forum. Today's oils, conventional and synthetic, all include a generous additive package. The only reason to use that Lucas is to thicken your oil if you have oil pressure issues and you just need the old girl to last a few thousand more miles before a rebuild.

I used to use it in my 95 XJ with 260,000 miles because the valve seals were toast and the Lucas helped with the oil burning. Never had any issues with it.

That said, I'd never use it in my TJ. I don't use any additives, just straight 10w-30, and that's the advice you'll see on this forum. Today's oils, conventional and synthetic, all include a generous additive package. The only reason to use that Lucas is to thicken your oil if you have oil pressure issues and you just need the old girl to last a few thousand more miles before a rebuild.
I’m going to try 10-40 this oil change and see what that does noise wise. Mine has 175,000 on the OD. Thinking about a rebuild in the future.

Hey do any of you use Lucas oil additive ? I’ve read and heard great reviews and comments about it.
I was thinking about using 1/2 qt. With this next oil change. What your opinion.

View attachment 246169
No, that stuff is bad news. It actually starts foaming which means the lube is picking up air which is bad for lubrication.

Bob is the Oil Guy forum used to have a video of just how bad it was until Lucas purchased the forum and made them take the video down.

For a while until it was found again on the internet archives. The video itself is gone but the photos tell the story.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080408023428/http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
I wish I had a dollar for every time I have recommended avoiding oil additives.

No, that stuff is bad news .It actually starts foaming which means the lube is picking up air which is bad for lubrication.

Bob is the Oil Guy forum used to have a video of just how bad it was until Lucas purchased the forum and made them take the video down.

For a while until it was found again on the internet archives. The video itself is gone but the photos tell the story.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080408023428/http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Thanks Jerry

Just trying to do the best for the engine and seeing if it would help with that off and on ticking ?
LOL...it's a Jeep alright.
It's ticks more reliably than a Rolex.

Your only hope outside of new lifters is running a 50 weight.
Even then no guarantees. It might help it might not pending the condition of the problem.
In your case it will NOT hurt to try whatsoever.

Why be different though? I mean can it really be a Jeep without tick, tick, tick......nothing...tick, tick, nothing, tick tick tick 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: Fishtaco
No, that stuff is bad news. It actually starts foaming which means the lube is picking up air which is bad for lubrication.

I wish I had a Dollar for every time a TJ owner was advised it ok to run tires 2-3 inches above manufactures recommended max but you must use 10w 30 no snake oil additives! lol Opps maybe so many forgot that that re gears and diff changes can cost more than a recon engine? LMFAO sometimes :)

I wish I had a Dollar for every time a TJ owner was advised it ok to run tires 2-3 inches above manufactures recommended max but you must use 10w 30 no snake oil additives! lol Opps maybe so many forgot that that re gears and diff changes can cost more than a recon engine? LMFAO sometimes :)
Completely different things entirely. Lucas won't help anything, literally zero benefit unless you need the engine to stop burning a quart every 100 miles to get it home. Modern oils are way ahead of even stuff from 5 years ago.

Just trying to do the best for the engine and seeing if it would help with that off and on ticking ?
Put it in! wont do any damage if damage is already done! In a perfect world every TJ has been preened with perfect service intervals and not hammered to death by a collage student more interested in getting their oats!
In Australia we call it "Engine Honey" or "Stop Smoke" been using it for years. :)

Completely different things entirely. Lucas won't help anything, literally zero benefit unless you need the engine to stop burning a quart every 100 miles to get it home. Modern oils are way ahead of even stuff from 5 years ago.
You must have a perfect TJ Donk then? A worn engine is a worn engine no matter how the next owner may tend towards Mopar recommended!