Does load range C exist in a 16” size?

Rubicon John

TJ Enthusiast
All I can find are load range E in 16s and I think I saw maybe 1 D. Are there really no options?

Do those of you running stock Moabs just deal with E’s?

I’m also curious what the general consensus is with wheel spacers around here because as much as I love my wheels they need less backspacing!

Duratrac's are available in load C in 245 or 265. I had a set of E rated Duratrac 285's and the ride was not bad. When I switched to the 265 C rated I expected a big difference but there was little if any difference in ride.

There are some D load range choices, but most 16" tire choices for jeeps are E load range. There might have been one or two C load range 16" LT tires, but they weren't anything I was interested in so I have forgotten any details.

Load rating is not as big a deal as some would have you believe. Many if not most E load rated tires will have acceptable ride and performance if run at pressures appropriate for the weight of a TJ/LJ, typically 24-26 psi for a 35" tire, slightly more for a 33" tire.

The general rule is to choose a C load rated tire for a vehicle the weight of a jeep if you can. If you can't, for whatever reason, then look at D. If what you want isn't available with a D load rating then look at E rated tires. Tread type, sidewall strength, handling and performance characteristics, mileage/longevity, etc. are all factors that should be given greater thought than the letter load rating itself.

I’ve not found any worthwhile yet in the size I want, after this set I’m selling the MOABs and going to a 15”.

Last edited:
I've been sitting on a set of 15 inch wheels for about a year. Now that I'm ready to buy tires, I think I would rather keep my moabs. Even though that means E rated tires. I'll switch to 17s when I go 35s.

I appreciate the responses guys, I probably should have specified that I’d like a 33 and a tire on the wide side but it seems that’s not available. My TJR came with 285s on it and it rides like...ya know. But my suspension also needs to be gone over and I may end up doing that first.

@LONGJP2 what kind of 15s are you sitting on? I’m always looking for quality goods.

I appreciate the responses guys, I probably should have specified that I’d like a 33 and a tire on the wide side but it seems that’s not available. My TJR came with 285s on it and it rides like...ya know. But my suspension also needs to be gone over and I may end up doing that first.

Fix your suspension first.

In a 285/75/16 size tire that is C rated, there is only one mud tire...Pirelli Scorpion.

It appears they still had this in America back in 2018 with very positive reviews. They are nowhere to be found anymore. I wonder if there are plans from Pirelli to bring them back to market.

In a 285/75/16 size tire that is C rated, there is only one mud tire...Pirelli Scorpion.

It appears they still had this in America back in 2018 with very positive reviews. They are nowhere to be found anymore. I wonder if there are plans from Pirelli to bring them back to market.
Interesting. Years ago my family had a Dodge Dakota. It had a 255 tire with what I believe was a 16 inch rim from the factory. The only replacement In existence of the same size was a Pirelli Scorpion but it was discontinued. I bought the truck with Pirellis on the back and the original tires up front. Had to switch to a new size when I replaced the whole set unfortunately.

Is it side wall strength that's different between C and E rated tires? I need something that will hold up in the desert rock and prickly thorns.

Tires are limited in 16's. I was hoping to go 34 or so but maybe entertain a load C rated tire for less weight. ....not many choices though.

I've been sitting on a set of 15 inch wheels for about a year. Now that I'm ready to buy tires, I think I would rather keep my moabs. Even though that means E rated tires. I'll switch to 17s when I go 35s.
You can run a 15 inch Moab clone. The spoke dimensions are not perfect, but it's close if choosing the clones.

https://mambawheels.com/current-wheels/mr1x-silver/
The factory Mopar MOAB's are made in the USA and the clones are made in China, if that matters to you...and if IIRC. I'll check the backside of my factory Moabs tomorrow to verify whether or not they are actually made in the USA or not.

Edit: Following up, the factory Jeep Rubicon wheels were in fact made in the USA. The clones are not.
3706FB21-4655-40CA-911F-DA31203A840D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJRick

@LONGJP2 what kind of 15s are you sitting on? I’m always looking for quality goods.
Ravines

Fix your suspension problems first. Cooper makes an assortment of tires in a 'C' rating. And yes, it is mostly a sidewall issue. That is the reason for wanting a softer sidewall. The tire is actually a big part of the suspension system in a TJ. Many other vehicles not so much. That's why you see so many tire pressure related threads on the forum.👍

Reactions: Phil Younger