Dog breeds

I love the eyes
My Izzy Has stages she goes through with people. She won’t trust you, then she won’t like you and then she loves you and once you are part of her family she will protect you with her life. High energy and very smart. The breed is used for baying wild boar and are supposed to be good cattle dogs as well. To me she is just a crazy awesome pup that keeps me on my toes!

View attachment 76856

View attachment 76857
I love the eyes on Izzy.
Especially in your avatar pic

Reactions: abart
I broke my moms pit/boxer mix
Dog stayed like that for a while.
20190830_115617.jpg

I’m not sure if you have ever considered it but have you ever looked into a Greyhound? I’ve had one (and will have another soon) and that was the best dog. The retired racers are already potty trained, kennel trained and trained on a leash. They are low maintenance, very affectionate and are VERY laid back. Mine loved everyone and they sleep about 18 hours a day. Beautiful dogs. This is Gracie.

View attachment 111930
This ^^^ We rescued our Feona about a year and a half ago, and coming from a lifetime of Labs, I thought it would be difficult, but at this point we are looking at rescuing another Grey. There are sweet and loyal, and if you find one that is cat-safe (they test them), they make perfect house dogs. Very little shedding, almost zero smell even when wet. Also, being the second-fasted mammal on the planet is great for bragging rights (only a cheetah is faster) and if you get them to an open area where they can safely run, it is stunning to watch them go.
1567246340016.png

I've owned French Bulldogs (FB) for 25 yrs. But our most recent dog is a German Shepherd (GSD). Sadly we lost our last FB when our GSD was about 6 months old. She makes all my FB's look like dunces. Seriously. Hate to say it. But she is the smartest dog I have ever owned. I did own a Schutzen trained GSD from Germany back in the 90's for a very short time. Long story. She was super smart. But I just wasn't into the whole guard dog thing.

GSD's are so smart. I can't even describe it. Our FB's were like our family. But our GSD is like having another human in the house. She knew more commands at 6 months old. Than our last three FB's put together.

I've never owned a Border Collie or an Australain Cattle Dog. But one of those might be next. If you want to read about a really interesting dog. Check out Jagd Terrier on Wikipedia. My grandfather had one. It weighed about 20lbs and he used to hunt cougar and bear with it. Old German Breed from WWII.

This is our Kali. She's much darker now though.

35164790_10211725273541688_5740720851964133376_o.jpg

Reactions: Serbonze and JMT
I've never owned a Border Collie or an Australian Cattle Dog.

I owned both, along with German Shepherds, black Lab, Dachshund, and a Sheltie.

ACDs are the 1% dog owners' dog, very loyal, very smart, always ready to protect, and looked at most things as a potential meal. I really loved my ACD, but I always had to keep a watchful eye on him. In contrast, my Border was equally smart, but she did not have a mean bone in her body.

I'd like to get a French or English Bulldog next, along with another BC and ACD.

I’ve had many dogs over the years but the one that stands out the most was our black pug Snooks. She was a wonderful dog and a great companion. She was outstanding with our kids and other dogs. We had 10 great years with her before saying goodbye last September.

We now have a Pit/Dotson mix (yeah I know, strange combination) we have named Charlie. We rescued him from a shelter as a tiny puppy. He is absolutely a handful but is a blast to have! He loves the kids and really loves the Jeep!

3E89DDD5-A955-467B-9463-9302D092FBA4.jpeg

45B049AE-81BE-4C56-BBC8-793966DAC2F0.jpeg

F57C08FC-5BAD-48EB-814F-C1542F9F82D9.jpeg

152C22EC-F9EC-4E90-9B2E-3F13D7561943.jpeg

E506A12A-4628-4D33-8464-BAB0F5C5B3BB.jpeg

07757D24-CADB-4908-8497-AFAA4413BE78.jpeg

A70BB851-30AB-4BF4-A084-0712EA633FF4.jpeg

BC2BA9C9-AA89-4343-A0CB-D93EE2D71EE8.jpeg

Reactions: chad
Lurcher is usually a Greyhound or Whippet crossed, firstly, with a Collie to produce a fast intelligent hunting dog. Other blood, terrier, maybe bull dog is often added to enhance specific traits. Lurchers were bred by poachers and used for taking game quietly.
Buzz will take rabbits happily, squirrels (if he could climb trees!) pheasants as they run and rats.
He is a rescue dog so his history is unknown.
:cool:Your greyhound looks chilled.

Lurcher is usually a Greyhound or Whippet crossed, firstly, with a Collie to produce a fast intelligent hunting dog. Other blood, terrier, maybe bull dog is often added to enhance specific traits. Lurchers were bred by poachers and used for taking game quietly.
Buzz will take rabbits happily, squirrels (if he could climb trees!) pheasants as they run and rats.
He is a rescue dog so his history is unknown.
:cool:Your greyhound looks chilled.

Lurchers are big in the UK. A very wide selection of looks. From long haired to short haired and every color in between. Really beautiful dogs. I used to be a photo editor. And did a piece on lurchers. Really interesting dogs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lur...7DkAhUPnawKHauzDU4Q_AUIESgB&biw=2554&bih=1242

My Mountain Cur. She just came out of the woods one day at about 6 weeks old. Now she’s 6 months old she can be really sweet or a killer at a flip of a switch. She ran down a bird and ate it before I could take it away at 3 months old. But mostly she’s a big baby.

6B293649-F257-44B0-83D0-D18D1D345EC3.jpeg

84AAE624-54ED-4A64-997C-6AE878ED63FD.jpeg

Reactions: IPerkWVU and abart
My Mountain Cur. She just came out of the woods one day at about 6 weeks old. Now she’s 6 months old she can be really sweet or a killer at a flip of a switch. She ran down a bird and ate it before I could take it away at 3 months old. But mostly she’s a big baby.

View attachment 112794

View attachment 112795
Wow here in the UK we could call your pup a Brindle Lurcher and she displays Lurcher characteristics i.e sweet/killing machine and running down/killing/eating at 3 months!
From my experience of the breed, around 12 very different dogs/bitches, she may well be trainable.
Great pics of a lovely bitch.

+1 for rescue dogs, they are so loyal. The two I have are both females and their temperament has been great.

Stella is a a ridgeback /pit/ lab mix I think. Also looks like a black mouth cur... Who knows. She is around 11.
IMG_20190720_173854.jpg

Lucy is a lab terrier mix, also a shelter dog. She's about 4 and much more mild mannered than her sister, loves toys.
IMG_20190105_201540_1.jpg

Reactions: Serbonze and chad
Wow here in the UK we could call your pup a Brindle Lurcher and she displays Lurcher characteristics i.e sweet/killing machine and running down/killing/eating at 3 months!
From my experience of the breed, around 12 very different dogs/bitches, she may well be trainable.
Great pics of a lovely bitch.
Well after looking at it on the internet it makes perfect since. A mountain cur was supposed to be a mix of European dog breeds to make a good all around hunting and farm dog for the early settlers. They almost died out in the 1940 but a few breeders saved them. There mostly used as squirrel dogs and family pets/watch dog where I live. A she is very smart /alert and fast. I noticed the other day she sits outside and watches planes flying over. None of my other dogs ever noticed things like that.

Well after looking at it on the internet it makes perfect since. A mountain cur was supposed to be a mix of European dog breeds to make a good all around hunting and farm dog for the early settlers. They almost died out in the 1940 but a few breeders saved them. There mostly used as squirrel dogs and family pets/watch dog where I live. A she is very smart /alert and fast. I noticed the other day she sits outside and watches planes flying over. None of my other dogs ever noticed things like that.
Lurchers or sight hounds as they are also known, dogs that hunt by sight rather than scent, have been bred by selective crossing of breeds, for hundreds of years in the UK and europe. So it is entirely possible that the Pilgrim Fathers brought them to the USA.
Now they are a favourite with the "Travelling Community" and are common in dog rescue centres over here, the last 6 Lurchers that I've owned have been rescue dogs.

Last edited: