Dollars and no sense...

in my world you can never have enough tools at one time I could work on 4 or 5 vehicles at once and never borrow from one vehicle or the other and I used craftsman due to the price go for the box

Reactions: JMT
in my world you can never have enough tools at one time I could work on 4 or 5 vehicles at once and never borrow from one vehicle or the other and I used craftsman due to the price go for the box

Yep! I bought the box yesterday. Just need to finish repairing my son's Mazda, and then I can focus on setting up the box the way I want it.

Yep! I bought the box yesterday. Just need to finish repairing my son's Mazda, and then I can focus on setting up the box the way I want it.
im doing about the same here ive got a empty 3 draw box that im putting together just for the jeep

Reactions: Squatch
Did you manage to have create some space for your new tool box yet? or is your sons Mazda still giving you grief ?

So, I got the boxes home today, finally, and I have to say I am impressed. The casters are massive, and have grease fittings for the axles and the bearings to the swiveled casters. However, the top chest was damaged. The lid had a palm-sized dent right across the crease (the most rigid section). I took it back to exchange it, and made the smart-ass comment that I'd take the exchange, and give them $125 for the damaged chest. Well, dammit, they accepted! Now I have two 41"W X 18"D 9-drawer chests. I'll drill the rivets out of the inner panel on the lid, and do some body work to the outer panel. Might set-up a stereo in the top of this one, and mount it on my workbench, keeping car parts and such (seals, bearings, and the like), as well as tools, of course. I already found a home for one of my older/smaller roll-aways. My nephew is all too happy to take it off my hands, as he doesn't have one. He's got a '69 Toyota FJ40 that he wheeled hard back in the day. A young family has kept him budgeted these days. He'll appreciate the gift. Life is good!

hahaha That will teach you to be smart-arse lol...but sounds like a great bonus and an early Christmas prezzy for your nephew too

Did you manage to have create some space for your new tool box yet? or is your sons Mazda still giving you grief ?
That's too funny, @Kiwi TJ, as I was just typing out my update as you were asking the question. The son's Mazda took forever. A simple alternator change turned into a clusterf%#k. Seized pivot bolt that snapped. Bought new replacement bolt from hardware store, but wouldn't go into new alternator. Drove out to a wrecking yard, and pulled a factory bolt (in the pouring rain, of course), and IT wouldn't go in. Turns out the rebuilt alternator had an insert installed for new threads, but they weren't metric any longer, but 3/8" 24 threads. I finally found a proper bolt, but by then had almost 5 hours into the project, and $25 into that one damn bolt! :mad: Got the car rollin' again, though.

Reactions: JMT and Kiwi TJ
That's great about getting the damaged chest. Be careful what you ask for!
Glad you found a good home for your used one. Your nephew must really be happy about that.
Thanks, my friend. Yeah, the nephew is a great guy. One of those who really goes out of his way to help others. I try and make sure that he is on the receiving end, sometimes. We all can use a break now and then, ya know?

That's too funny, @Kiwi TJ, as I was just typing out my update as you were asking the question. The son's Mazda took forever. A simple alternator change turned into a clusterf%#k. Seized pivot bolt that snapped. Bought new replacement bolt from hardware store, but wouldn't go into new alternator. Drove out to a wrecking yard, and pulled a factory bolt (in the pouring rain, of course), and IT wouldn't go in. Turns out the rebuilt alternator had an insert installed for new threads, but they weren't metric any longer, but 3/8" 24 threads. I finally found a proper bolt, but by then had almost 5 hours into the project, and $25 into that one damn bolt! :mad: Got the car rollin' again, though.
Dammmmn !!! all that for an alternator change.Phew...I must admit I have to change one on a mazda 3 about a year ago. The alternator took 20 mins to swap over but it took over and hour to get to it thanks to the stupid splash guards underneath being rusted on.

Dammmmn !!! all that for an alternator change.Phew...I must admit I have to change one on a mazda 3 about a year ago. The alternator took 20 mins to swap over but it took over and hour to get to it thanks to the stupid splash guards underneath being rusted on.
Yeah, it's tight in there as well. My left arm has some serious bruising and lots of scrapes. Looks impressive when you draw blood out in the wrecking yard! But hey, I got it fixed, so I win!!! :D

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Thanks, my friend. Yeah, the nephew is a great guy. One of those who really goes out of his way to help others. I try and make sure that he is on the receiving end, sometimes. We all can use a break now and then, ya know?
Yes I know. He's lucky to have an uncle like you. Wish I had a big tool chest when I was young. Hell....wish I had one now! I still don't have one! After reading your thread about you looking at tool chest got me thinking. Now I'm looking at some. The one at Harbor Freight by "General" are supposed to be pretty good, been reading a lot of good things about them. I know Harbor Freight has some real cheap crap but the tool chests are suppose to be pretty good. Going to go look at them tomorrow.

Yes I know. He's lucky to have an uncle like you. Wish I had a big tool chest when I was young. Hell....wish I had one now! I still don't have one! After reading your thread about you looking at tool chest got me thinking. Now I'm looking at some. The one at Harbor Freight by "General" are supposed to be pretty good, been reading a lot of good things about them. I know Harbor Freight has some real cheap crap but the tool chests are suppose to be pretty good. Going to go look at them tomorrow.
Thanks, man. That was nice of you to say. Made my night! Also, if you have a Lowe's in the area, the Kobalt boxes are on sale through 12/6/17. If the price is within your budget, you owe it to yourself to check 'em out. I bought the 41" Kobalt 3000 series. It's impressive, I have to say. I just know it's gonna make me a better mechanic! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Thanks, man. That was nice of you to say. Made my night! Also, if you have a Lowe's in the area, the Kobalt boxes are on sale through 12/6/17. If the price is within your budget, you owe it to yourself to check 'em out. I bought the 41" Kobalt 3000 series. It's impressive, I have to say. I just know it's gonna make me a better mechanic! :rolleyes:
Thanks! So that's how the tool chests works!? The better the chest....the better the mechanic it makes you! Well I'd better go out and find the best an most expensive chest then...I need all the help I can get.

so the score is ....
mazda.jpg
Bigfoot.jpg

Thanks! So that's how the tool chests works!? The better the chest....the better the mechanic it makes you! Well I'd better go out and find the best an most expensive chest then...I need all the help I can get.
Yup, that's how it works. Flipping burgers at MacDonald's makes you a chef. Owning a Porsche makes you a race car driver. And owning a Snap-On tool chest makes you a damn fine mechanic! See? It's that easy! :D