Door Strap Bolt Broken

cuchran34

Hi there, just bought my TJ last week and the passenger side door strap bolt is broken. It looks like the little screw that was holding the restraining piece down literally snapped in half and is stuck in the hole and I can't take it out/put a new one back in. Has anyone else had this problem? If so are there any solutions? I haven't had the door swing open and hit the fender too hard yet but I'm just waiting for someone to get in and let it go flying. Thanks for the help! :)

GXLp5AxyRfmDm0dRZqE+MQ.jpg

While I haven't had this issue, it should be pretty easy to get the rest of that screw out with an extractor drill bit.

Reactions: cuchran34
That's a common problem for the TJ's. My drivers door had the same broken screw situation. I drilled it out and tapped it. Not a hard fix.
Makes sense! I'm not super handy myself with tools and such so I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing before I went in there and made things worse. Thank you for the help.

Both my full doors were like this when I bought them. I drilled out all of the broken bolts and used the little rubber nutserts that expand on the backside as you tighten them down. Almost a year later and zero issues. Much easier than using an easy-out on such a small bolt.

Last edited:
Had this happen. Posted about it not long ago. So far I have ruined two drill bits, broken an “easy out” and broken another type screw remover. Someone here suggested Cobalt bits. Got them and will try again at drilling it out.

Reactions: cuchran34
As has been said, drill and re-tap. Mine had both broken, then someone moved the loop forward a bit in the door, then it ripped out that part of the sheet metal. What a mess. I drilled to slightly larger bolt size and put a nut on the backside, inside the door for both bolts