Double DIN Bezel Options

I got the single-DIN adapter and harness adapter from Amazon. The Joying had an ISO harness plug, so I ordered this as well, but it didn't arrive in time so I just cut the ISO plug from the Joying harness and joined it with the adapter in the other link.

And the steering wheel controls were these.
Very helpful. Thanks!

Joying 8.8" Single-DIN
Apple CarPlay (wired/wireless) & Android Auto

It's been updated since I bought mine this summer. Installed it looks like it was made for the TJ and definitely freshens up the technology and modernizes it nicely. It did require a few minor tweaks to fit perfectly, but they were very simple. The widescreen aspect ratio is better than double-DIN IMO... This is my third CarPlay unit and by far my favorite.

Single-DIN adapter and harnesses soldered/shrink wrapped and the unit ready to go in:

View attachment 217719

Final installed position:

View attachment 217722

View attachment 217721

View attachment 217720

I also added wireless steering wheel controls since the lack of a physical volume button was a pain.

View attachment 217723

Happy to answer any questions. Being a Chinese Android-based unit, it has a few quirks, but so did my Alpine and Sony CarPlay units, so it's nothing that would stop me from buying it again.
What’s the start up time on it? Does it come up pretty quick when you start the Jeep?

What’s the start up time on it? Does it come up pretty quick when you start the Jeep?

Start-up is very short. Joying advertises 2 seconds, and that's not out of the question. It's very fast after an initial boot up.

Reactions: fooey
Start-up is very short. Joying advertises 2 seconds, and that's not out of the question. It's very fast after an initial boot up.
Do you remove the screen often? I'm liking this, however I'd have to remove the screen on the regular and not sure how much of a pain that would be.

Do you remove the screen often? I'm liking this, however I'd have to remove the screen on the regular and not sure how much of a pain that would be.
I only remove it if I have to pull the center bezel for unrelated issues. I don't know how well the tabs that secure the screen and the ribbon cable would hold up long term. There's certainly no issue with the dozen or so times I've done it.

Just a heads up for everyone considering an alpine Ilx-w650 and the metra double din kit - the screen is slightly smaller than the opening in the kit so you’ll have a bit of a gap on the top or the bottom of the deck.

Just a heads up for everyone considering an alpine Ilx-w650 and the metra double din kit - the screen is slightly smaller than the opening in the kit so you’ll have a bit of a gap on the top or the bottom of the deck.
Hey Lunchbox, looking at the Alpine and Sony Double DIN offerings. Got a picture of your finished product? Did you have to cut the sub dash for the Alpine install?

I installed a Sony XAV-AX1000 in my 99

IMG_1200.JPG

Hey Lunchbox, looking at the Alpine and Sony Double DIN offerings. Got a picture of your finished product? Did you have to cut the sub dash for the Alpine install?
I’ll take a pic and post tomorrow. I did have to cut the sub dash but used aviation snips and it was a really quick job. There are a few videos on YouTube that give you the general idea.

Here’s what it looks like. I have to say, the alpine ilx w650 works great for everything but phone calls. There’s a software bug where the phone audio is so low you can’t hear the other person when you’re traveling at any speed. Until that’s fixed I can’t recommend it.

30EB9DD7-A894-4C33-92B8-61504566D31F.jpeg

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Here’s what it looks like. I have to say, the alpine ilx w650 works great for everything but phone calls. There’s a software bug where the phone audio is so low you can’t hear the other person when you’re traveling at any speed. Until that’s fixed I can’t recommend it.

View attachment 233376

Update: the bug was fixed some time ago, I just needed to update the firmware. Now it works well, and I highly recommend it.