Down size body lift or add coil spacers?

Ayogeeoh

Supporting Member
Hello all! Looking for some advice.

I just bought my 04’ TJ and it came with a 3” body lift on it. It wasn’t too big of a deal until I wanted to remove the nerf bars. They look to be set between a one inch body lift and a two inch body lift piece. Or they just cut a three inch piece and sandwiched it. Either way I’m looking to remove these bars and maybe go down to a two inch body lift.

I recently installed 2” coils and new shocks (Ranchos) so I’m sitting at 5” right now.

My question is, when I remove the body lift should I go with a 2” body lift or a 2” coil spacer instead? New to all this so I don’t know what the main difference and look would be. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

ABCA771C-F723-479C-B34A-CB7B10675D41.jpeg

Snap some pictures of the body lift pucks. My guess is you're seeing the stock body mount + the actual body lift puck. I just removed a 3" BL last week. Kind of a pain but not too bad. You'll find most people here will tell you to go with a 1.25" BL max.

Snap some pictures of the body lift pucks. My guess is you're seeing the stock body mount + the actual body lift puck. I just removed a 3" BL last week. Kind of a pain but not too bad. You'll find most people here will tell you to go with a 1.25" BL max.
Pictures: First is behind front tire then working back. Included new shocks and coils. And close up of the nerf bar dilemma.

73A496D3-9002-4102-8CD7-294045E54A28.jpeg

63EA546B-ED16-4AB3-A750-213F10F93A3E.jpeg

7608B686-FA98-4451-AD77-9972944B2541.jpeg

A9781C91-3FBF-4F56-86F5-A4D2E89CB43F.jpeg

64BF8C74-8BCE-40B1-9A99-28CB9D683263.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Jamison C
That's interesting. I wonder if they deducted the thickness of the step mounting tab from the body lift puck.

get rid of that 3 inch body lift in favor of a 1.25 inch and get some rust reformer on that frame before it gets out of hand
flat-black-rust-oleum-automotive-general-purpose-spray-paint-248658-64_1000.jpg

Reactions: Ayogeeoh
I'd be more concerned with taking a wire wheel to remove the outer rust, then painting it. Clean and spray the inner frame with some Eastwood internal frame coating too.

I'd be more concerned with taking a wire wheel to remove the outer rust, then painting it. Clean and spray the inner frame with some Eastwood internal frame coating too.
That's not paint. It converts surface rust to a paintable base.

If you’re running 2” taller springs, ditch the 3” body lift and go with a 1” -1.25” body lift. Your 33s will still clear just fine

Reactions: TheBoogieman
That's not paint. It converts surface rust to a paintable base.
That's like trying to convert an Atheist to a Catholic. It's not going to happen. Rust needs to be removed first.
p.s. Not many rust issues in SoCal I'm guessing.

Last edited:
If you’re running 2” taller springs, ditch the 3” body lift and go with a 1” -1.25” body lift. Your 33s will still clear just fine
That’s my plan. I’m not worried about being too high up just want a nice look. And to get rid of these damn nerf bars lol.
thanks everyone!

Reactions: TWiG01
Haha I promise to deal with the rust guys! Thanks!
Don't make me drive down to Va Beach to check up on you and that rust ....... until Summer.🥳

p.s. Last time I was down there cruising the strip and blasting my music, I got arrested and my Jeep impounded. The worst part is that the Cops were on bicycles. I never saw them coming. :(

Last edited:
Don't make me drive down to Va Beach to check up on you and that rust ....... until Summer.🥳

p.s. Last time I was down there cruising the strip and blasting my music, I got arrested and my Jeep impounded. The worst part is that the Cops were on bicycles. I never saw them coming. :(
Haha well January this Jeep will be on its way to Florida with me. Top less :). It will never see road salt I promise. Those bike cops will get you and the ones on horses!

Whoever installed it did a decent job of making the steps look good.

The frame doesn't look bad. It looks pretty dry, just brown. A quick touch up with a wire wheel and some paint and it'll look great.