Drop pitman arm questions

Cmhbaseball

I have heard many things and just want to here some opinions on a drop pitarm. I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler tj with 3 inch spring lift and 2 inch spacer lift. Most people say to just keep it stock one? How do I know it is stock or not? I will post a picture of my drop pitarm when I can.

Yes the factory Pitman arm is what should be run 99% of the time.

The top Pitman arm is dropped, the lower is the factory Pitman.

16-Pitman-Arm-Jeep-TJ-Wrangler-8-10-11.jpg

Yep it's dropped and the driver side track bar mount is not dropped, a bad combination that causes bump steer. Replace that Pitman arm with the factory Pitman arm and your steering will no longer have bump steer. Which is when the steering is 'bumped' left/right as the axle moves up/down over bumps/dips on the road or trail.

Does anyone know the part number for a stock pitman arm? I remember @Chris posted a link to one a couple months ago but I can’t find it now. Also any suggestions or tips on replacing the pitman arm? My plan is to soak it with penetrating oil for a week or so everyday before attempting to remove it using a puller. Using heat as a last resort.

Has anyone went from a drop pitman arm to the stock one? Can you tell me the different of how it drove after? Was there a big difference?
I sure have. The steering was immediately less busy and the bumpsteer it had disappeared.

It's not an arbitrary recommendation, it's is to get the drag link and track bar to follow the proper relationship of arc so that they aren't steering the jeep for you when the suspension moves upward...that is called bumpsteer.

The only time you can successfully run one with 4" or less of lift is if the track bar is dropped where it mounts to the frame. This negates the drop, but is redundant.

Beyond 4" of lift the dropped pitman arm is designed to prevent the Y linkage from being pulled upward like a coat hanger can do.

I sure have. The steering was immediately less busy and the bumpsteer it had disappeared.

It's not an arbitrary recommendation, it's is to get the drag link and track bar to follow the proper relationship of arc so that they aren't steering the jeep for you when the suspension moves upward...that is called bumpsteer.

The only time you can successfully run one with 4" or less of lift is if the track bar is dropped where it mounts to the frame. This negates the drop, but is redundant.

Beyond 4" of lift the dropped pitman arm is designed to prevent the Y linkage from being pulled upward like a coat hanger can do.
I have a 5 inch lift in total. A 3 inch spring lift and 2 inch spaced lift. Should I still change back to stock? Many people said I should and I should only shave a drop pitarm if I plan on going bigger

Just be sure to have a BIG and STRONG pitman arm puller. Rent (or borrow) from an auto parts store. A regular old gear puller can be ruined before the pitman comes loose. If it is really fighting hard then you can pull the whole steering gear and bring it to a shop. Its nasty up here right now. I doubt anyone wants to go and fight your pitman arm in the parking lot.

I have a 5 inch lift in total. A 3 inch spring lift and 2 inch spaced lift. Should I still change back to stock? Many people said I should and I should only shave a drop pitarm if I plan on going bigger
3" of lift suspension lift ...you have a part that does not belong on the Jeep. At all. It needs removed and a stick unit on it. To a slight degree they are dangerous.
The body lift doesn't count in this scenario...it's only raising the steering shaft.

Yes, you're overthinking this... go back to the factory Pitman arm.
Here is a quick forum hack- Jerry Bransford is always right. He thought he was wrong once, but he was mistaken.

He was personally asked by Lee Iococca to proofread the TJ owners manual. He found several errors.

If you will take his advice, not only will your TJ drive better, but you will always arrive 5 minutes early everywhere you go.

Last edited:
Okay thanks everyone! Going to order the stock pitman arm today! After I get it out on and drive it I will let y’all know how it goes! Thanks again for all y’all’s help!