Electric door locks and power windows: Not cool?

Just installed power locking in mine and love em!
Have you guys wired the recieving block to your turn signals so it flashes during Lock/Unlock?

Currently having a hard time finding the wiring block for Turning Signals.
I have a Clifford alarm installed that triggers the door locks and also flashes the turn signals. If you are just using the remote powers locks, I would imagine you could use the positive triggers for lock and unlock to trigger a relay to flash the lights also.

I have a Clifford alarm installed that triggers the door locks and also flashes the turn signals. If you are just using the remote powers locks, I would imagine you could use the positive triggers for lock and unlock to trigger a relay to flash the lights also.
Yeah my power locking system has 2 wires dedicated for left and right turn signals. Just trying to figure out the best place to tap into :) relay might be the go

When I bought my TJ it already had this same power window kit installed. I really don’t like the localities because my knee always hits it. I really wish I just had the window cranks but anyway. Mine also does not have the quick disconnect so I can’t take my doors off and I really want to. Where can I buy a set of disconnect plugs to install so I can take my doors off? Also, does anyone know how many wires it is?

When I bought my TJ it already had this same power window kit installed. I really don’t like the localities because my knee always hits it. I really wish I just had the window cranks but anyway. Mine also does not have the quick disconnect so I can’t take my doors off and I really want to. Where can I buy a set of disconnect plugs to install so I can take my doors off? Also, does anyone know how many wires it is?

I should be able to tell you how many wires it is because I did it, but I can't remember. I have both locks and windows installed so the total is substantial, something like 8 wires. Windows alone are probably more like 4. I used fairly standard Molex connectors for disconnect and coiled cables. I mounted the window switches up high and forward so my knee wouldn't hit them in the standard location which is where the window crank used to be.

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

If you have dual switches in the drivers door (a switch for both the driver and passenger door) you will have 5 wires. If you have power door locks, you will have at least two (depending on where the switches and control unit are mounted. For a quick disconnect, I used a flat trailer wire connector, they are available in 5 wire versions. ($9 at Amazon).

I had the same issue with where the switches are mounted in my '03, it stuck out right where my knee rested against the door. When I traded up to an '05 Unlimited, I used different switches and mounted them on the dash so both the driver and passenger can reach them. That meant I only needed two wires each for the power windows and door locks (positive and negative for each). So I could use a flat 4 pin connector as a quick release. I put power locks in my 1/2 doors with the same connectors so it's simple to swap doors. (I know, locking 1/2 doors sounds stupid, but hey, that's never stopped me before....)

Someone else on this thread mounted their switches higher up the door so it didn't hit their knee. Someone else used pin switches in the door to make connection. Several different solutions to your problem.

P4090031.JPG

P8240005.JPG

One of the first mods I did was install power locks. No contacts, just wired but with quick disconnects so I cam remove the doors. I wanted them for use with my hard top so I don't have to check the passenger door or tailgate when I get out. I intentionally don't have any internal switch, so I can remotely lock it with the fob and the tailgate cannot be unlocked from inside when the top is off. I have a tuffy tailgate security enclosure for gear storage in the summmer and I didn't want to have to unlock and lock it with the key every time I get in or out.

I don't really care if it's cool or not, my 19 year old daughter has been informing me for years that nothing I do is cool, so I'm used to it.😐

Reactions: RubiconMike
If you have dual switches in the drivers door (a switch for both the driver and passenger door) you will have 5 wires. If you have power door locks, you will have at least two (depending on where the switches and control unit are mounted. For a quick disconnect, I used a flat trailer wire connector, they are available in 5 wire versions. ($9 at Amazon).

I had the same issue with where the switches are mounted in my '03, it stuck out right where my knee rested against the door. When I traded up to an '05 Unlimited, I used different switches and mounted them on the dash so both the driver and passenger can reach them. That meant I only needed two wires each for the power windows and door locks (positive and negative for each). So I could use a flat 4 pin connector as a quick release. I put power locks in my 1/2 doors with the same connectors so it's simple to swap doors. (I know, locking 1/2 doors sounds stupid, but hey, that's never stopped me before....)

Someone else on this thread mounted their switches higher up the door so it didn't hit their knee. Someone else used pin switches in the door to make connection. Several different solutions to your problem.

View attachment 93907

View attachment 93908

How did you mount those switches on the dash?

Ok, so I’ve got a Hi-lift and that is not cool. I can leave that at home. But I put electric door locks and window winders in my TJ. Does that make me a pariah in the TJ world? I’ve got to tell you though, it is really nice. Either door locks/unlocks all three. Pretty decadent, huh? With the window winder handle removed I’ve got more room for my knee. Oh yeah, and there are quick disconnect plugs to allow the doors to be removed. So, am I ok?

It's your rig man, screw what people think of this mod. Nothing wrong with a little convience, heck I did the same thing you did only I bought a JL to get those features instead... lol. The only mod that you are allowed to make fun of are angry grills because frankly, you shouldn't own a Jeep if that's your kind of modding :)

How did you mount those switches on the dash?

On my '05 the place where I mounted the switches was a blank plate. On earlier models there used to be a switch to shut off the passenger side airbag (I think that's what it was for). The kit I bought came with switches to mount on the doors over the hole left from the original window crank. Unfortunately, the stuck out about 1 1/2 inches just where my knee rested against the door. I bought the flat switches you can see in my post above from the same company (https://www.electric-life.com/) they were the perfect size to fit the blank plate. To mount it, I just had to cut the holes in the plate to match what the switchers needed. As a bonus, both the driver and passenger have easy access to both window switches. Same for the rocker switch above the window switches which is for the power door locks.

As another bonus, I only had to run two wires to the driver's door instead of the five needed when you have both switches there. I don't remember if I used the control module included with the kit (I did the install 15 years ago), I think I made my own using two relays for each window. It's actually pretty easy, each of the two wires from the motor goes to the common (#30) lug on the relay which connect to the ground from the #87a lug. When you trigger one relay, it feed 12v from the #87 lug, causing the motor to spin one way or another. You can only trigger one relay at a time, and since the other one is already at ground, bingo! You have +12v and ground going to the motor. Elegant in it's simplicity. The same idea works for door lock motors. I'm attaching wiring diagrams for anyone interested. I ran custom auto install shops for over 10 years and would be happy to answer any general electrical questions about that stuff.
PWindow_wiring.gif

locks_actuator.gif

One of the first mods I did was install power locks. No contacts, just wired but with quick disconnects so I cam remove the doors. I wanted them for use with my hard top so I don't have to check the passenger door or tailgate when I get out. I intentionally don't have any internal switch, so I can remotely lock it with the fob and the tailgate cannot be unlocked from inside when the top is off. I have a tuffy tailgate security enclosure for gear storage in the summmer and I didn't want to have to unlock and lock it with the key every time I get in or out.

I don't really care if it's cool or not, my 19 year old daughter has been informing me for years that nothing I do is cool, so I'm used to it.😐

I added power windows and locks, and heated leather seats to my '05. It's my Jeep and I'm the one who drives it, so why should anyone else care? Or for that matter, why should I care what anyone else thinks? Now all that stuff is available direct from the factory anyway, so mine's not that unusual any more. As for "more stuff to go wrong", electrical stuff to me is super-simple, and even if it stopped working on the trail, who cares? It won't prevent me from having fun or getting home. I totally understand that not everyone has that kind of experience, tools and electrical parts so my solution doesn't work for everyone. Life would be boring if we were all exactly the same, different doesn't mean better or worse, it just means different.

The thing I like is that if we were on a forum for Jeeps newer than ours this thread would be how to repair/replace instead of how to add. I have zero problem with people's choices. Even the Angry Bird grills. I like the option of not having stuff unless I want it. If I want it, I'll add it regardless of other people's opinions on the matter.

My last car had so many things on it I never used that came standard. My wife's van the same. She's never remote started it even though she could. Some things are like paying to put a cassette tape player in the dash just in case someone might want it.

The driver's side power window switches on my last car were recalled because they would occasionally start an electrical fire. :unsure: I'm not sure power windows that could light your car on fire are a good option to add to a vehicle.

Reactions: RubiconMike
I added all of the above conveniences as I get older they are nice things to have, keyless entry works great for letting kids into the car, heated seats on the colder days, remote start, it warm when I get in it, and Bluetooth to the factory radio.... all the comforts of a new car and no payments.....