ElectricWizards 2000 TJ Sport Build

On-board ARB Dual Compressor

One of my favorite mods so far is my on-board air setup. My Jeep doesn't have ABS, so that left the tray empty and available. I had seen other people who had fit the ARB Dual Compressor there, and that was the route I decided to take.

For this setup I used the following parts:

To fit the compressor in there I found it was easiest if I unbolted my clutch master cylinder, as well as unbolting the vapor canister. I also had to finagle it under the main firewall wiring harness, which actually ends up resting on the compressor itself. I ended up adding some extra wire loom around the harness just to be safe.

It is definitely a tight fit, but I was able to get clearance on all sides of the compressor. I marked out where I needed to drill on the ABS tray, removed everything, and reassembled. The compressor has to be bolted down from underneath the Jeep, that was a fun process ;).

Wiring is pretty easy, just up and around the firewall. I did have to extend the included wiring a bit.

You can mount the quick connect onto the compressor itself, but I wanted easier access, as well as wanted to limit how hot the quick connect would get.

I decided the best place for the quick connect was right behind the vapor canister. I used a piece of 16ga steel, cut and bent it until I was happy with the shape. The bracket for the canister already had two small holes on it, I enlarged those and used them as a mounting point for my bracket. I then assembled the fittings and the hose, making sure to use plenty of high temp thread sealant.

Lastly I needed a switch for controlling the compressor.
The compressor comes with a harness for use with controlling ARB lockers. For my setup I just needed an on switch, so I instead opted to make my own harness. I had a set of TJ Rocker Switches from eBay and used the "ON" switch. While the switch action feels like crap, they do look factory, so we'll see how it holds up.

I also made a small splash shield for below the ABS tray bracket to limit some muck. While it probably does help, the compressor still gets a bit dirty.

Eventually, I would like to relocate the air filters for the compressor up higher; they are splash proof but just to be on the safe side. It might be challenging due to the limited space between the compressor and the fender, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

Last edited:
Reactions: XISophos and Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I had the exact same idea, with the exact same air compressor for my TJ! I'm just torn on whether I need the air compressor or just a CO2 tank. That's the same place I was going to mount the ARB compressor too.

How quickly would you say it fills up your tires?

Reactions: ElectricWizard
I had the exact same idea, with the exact same air compressor for my TJ! I'm just torn on whether I need the air compressor or just a CO2 tank. That's the same place I was going to mount the ARB compressor too.

How quickly would you say it fills up your tires?
I was torn too between this, a York, and CO2. This just seemed to be the simplest in the long run.

For my 31" tires it's about 50 to 60 seconds from 12 to 30psi.

I was torn too between this, a York, and CO2. This just seemed to be the simplest in the long run.

For my 31" tires it's about 50 to 60 seconds from 12 to 30psi.

Yeah, I didn't even consider the CO2 tank until recently, and then I discovered that they're cheap to fill, last quite a long time on a fill, and fill the tires up probably 5 times faster than a air compressor. I never knew this until I started doing the research, as I would have assumed they were just a waste of money.

We'll see what I decide. Have you have any troubles with that ARB air compressor? I've read mixed reviews on it with some people claiming it failed prematurely.

Hello everybody!

Back in 2015 I was looking to buy a Wrangler to build up as a capable rig for camping and mild overland trips. What I found was a forest green 2000 Wrangler Sport with the 4.0 I6 and 5spd manual. It was in great shape and was completely rust free!

View attachment 56974

I got the Jeep for a good price as it had a pinion seal leak as well as the usual valve cover and oil pan/rear main leaks. Over time I got those issues sorted out and started adding mods as I'd see fit. Well that gets us to where we are today..

View attachment 56975
View attachment 56976
View attachment 56977
View attachment 56978
View attachment 56979
View attachment 56980

So far I am very pleased with the build, the Jeep has done everything I've asked it to do and then some! As of today my build is as follows:
  • 31x10.5 R15 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Tires.
  • 3" TeraFlex Lift Kit w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks
  • AdvancedAdapters SYE & Tom Woods Driveshaft
  • RT OffRoad HD Steering Kit
  • Warn M8000 Winch w/ In-cab Controls
  • ARB Dual Air Compressor
  • KC Gravity Headlights
  • Rugged Ridge LED Taillights
  • Garvin Wilderness ATS Front & Rear Bumpers
  • Garvin Wilderness Rock Rails
  • Rubicon Rocker Guards
  • Crown Performance Stainless Brake Lines
  • Rugged Ridge Dual Battery tray w/ Optima Blue Tops & Hellroaring Isolator
  • Cobra 75WX CB Radio w/ 3' FireStik FireFly
  • Tuffy Hood Lock
  • Interior LED Lighting Upgrades
  • Bedlined Tub
  • Custom Yakima Roof Rack
Since I did most of the work prior to starting this build log I plan to create future posts on this thread detailing more about the mods.

What would I still like to do?
  • 33x12.5" tires. The 31" tires work great for me so far, but 33" would probably work even better and look cooler!
  • Lockers! Currently have open Dana 30/Dana 35; I got a deal on a new Yukon gear set for my Dana 35 so might build that up, not 100% decided yet.
  • Fog lights / aux spot lights. Some more light would be nice for driving in the woods at night.
  • Dual switch panel ash-tray delete mod. Gotta have somewhere for all those switches to go!
  • Sound system upgrades. I've currently got entirely stock setup except for the head unit.
  • Interior restoration. My interior is pretty sun faded and sports the typical door panel cracks, I'd like to fix those issues and get everything looking nice again.
  • Custom overhead console. More light, storage, HAM radio, etc.
  • Compass & Temp Rear-view Mirrior Upgrade.
I will update this as my Jeep continues to change.
Thanks everybody! I couldn't have done any of this without the knowledge and inspiration I've gained over the years from reading these forums. Any questions please feel free to ask!

Great looking TJ! Did you add the roof rack, if so - can you share what you added? I really like the vented hard tops (C column) on these and wish for that on my after market hard top.

Yeah, I didn't even consider the CO2 tank until recently, and then I discovered that they're cheap to fill, last quite a long time on a fill, and fill the tires up probably 5 times faster than a air compressor. I never knew this until I started doing the research, as I would have assumed they were just a waste of money.

We'll see what I decide. Have you have any troubles with that ARB air compressor? I've read mixed reviews on it with some people claiming it failed prematurely.

Yeah CO2 would've probably been my next choice due to it's simplicity, however my biggest issue with it was space. My Jeep can get pretty packed as is on some of the trips I go on ;)

No problems so far! Only been in for a little under a year, though, but has been used a good bit in that time. Toughest use yet would be airing up 4 rigs on a 90* day this summer, thermal cut out didn't kick in at all. One of those rigs was a 1ton truck who aired his tires up to 70psi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Great looking TJ! Did you add the roof rack, if so - can you share what you added? I really like the vented hard tops (C column) on these and wish for that on my after market hard top.

I did add the rack. I used to work for a company that installed custom rack systems. It's all Yakima components, basically consisting of a 54" hardtop track kit and crossbar setup. If you want more details I'd be happy to share some more.

Yeah CO2 would've probably been my next choice due to it's simplicity, however my biggest issue with it was space. My Jeep can get pretty packed as is on some of the trips I go on ;)

I hear you, space is an issue for me as well. I use a receiver hitch mounted cargo rack though, that way I can store all my stuff in storage containers on it, which I then have strapped down with bungee cables. It works well actually!

I hear you, space is an issue for me as well. I use a receiver hitch mounted cargo rack though, that way I can store all my stuff in storage containers on it, which I then have strapped down with bungee cables. It works well actually!

Those are nice! I used to sell a ton of them at the rack shop I worked at. I've thought about getting one for longer trips, and for heavier items I don't wanna heave into the roof rack.

Those are nice! I used to sell a ton of them at the rack shop I worked at. I've thought about getting one for longer trips, and for heavier items I don't wanna heave into the roof rack.

Yeah, that's why I bought one. I didn't want to have to do the whole roof rack thing. That's too much of a hassle, especially having to get stuff up there since mines got a 5" lift and 35s! This thing works great!

Yeah, that's why I bought one. I didn't want to have to do the whole roof rack thing. That's too much of a hassle, especially having to get stuff up there since mines got a 5" lift and 35s! This thing works great!

During my time at the rack shop you'd be surprised the number of extremely tall rigs I setup complex roof rack systems on. I don't know how they even used them half the time :risas3:

During my time at the rack shop you'd be surprised the number of extremely tall rigs I setup complex roof rack systems on. I don't know how they even used them half the time :risas3:

I believe it. It's a pain in the butt (especially on a lifted vehicle) to try and get things situated up there.

I believe it. It's a pain in the butt (especially on a lifted vehicle) to try and get things situated up there.

Yep sure can be, when I did my lift it was certainly more challenging. I usually try to limit what I put up there to bulkier, not too heavy items. My rear bumper and rock rails work quite nicely for loading/unloading when I use my basket. I'll sometimes carry kayaks up there, that's definitely a bit more fun ;)

Yep sure can be, when I did my lift it was certainly more challenging. I usually try to limit what I put up there to bulkier, not too heavy items. My rear bumper and rock rails work quite nicely for loading/unloading when I use my basket. I'll sometimes carry kayaks up there, that's definitely a bit more fun ;)

It makes it more difficult with kids. We took the TJ on a road trip once with both kids in the back with their car seats. I had that thing packed to the brim inside and with the receiver hitch cargo rack! You definitely have to learn to be crafty when it comes to storing things on the TJ. That’s part of the fun of it though!

It makes it more difficult with kids. We took the TJ on a road trip once with both kids in the back with their car seats. I had that thing packed to the brim inside and with the receiver hitch cargo rack! You definitely have to learn to be crafty when it comes to storing things on the TJ. That’s part of the fun of it though!
Oh man yeah that does sound challenging. Thankfully no kids here! My rear seat also rarely goes in, and pretty much just for day trips.

I definitely agree about being crafty with packing, that is certainly one of the charms of the TJ, it makes you efficient ;). I've even gone as far as to take pictures of how I loaded my gear so I can get it right next time :risas3:

Reactions: Chris
Sharing a quick fix I did today:

A few days ago I noticed that one of my marker lights only worked with the turn signal on. I just assumed that one of the filaments in the bulb burnt out, but upon removing the bulb, I was greeted with this lovely green mess:

28wdiro.jpg

jqrr6p.jpg

I swapped bulbs and confirmed that the original bulb works, however no bulb lights up in this socket, so the issue was likely due to the corrosion. Next I checked if I had power and ground in the socket. Both power and ground were there, however, the corrosion made getting a good connection difficult.

Knowing that it seemed cleaning it would probably fix the issue. I then proceed to spray the socket with some contact cleaner and scrape at the terminals with a small needle file; this worked quite well. I also cleaned up the bulbs terminals where they had been corroded.

fnh0l2.jpg

After cleaning everything up I tested with my meter again, and this time it was much easier to get a solid connection. I put a small amount of dielectric grease on the terminals and reinstalled the bulb, and sure enough, it works again! A quick and simple fix.

dvfpe0.jpg

2aakdbo.jpg

Reactions: Chris and psrivats
Driving tonight I noticed the Jeep wanders off towards the right slightly, and also has a bit of brake pull towards the right. Guess I'll be investigating that this weekend!

Reactions: Boinked and Chris
j6k7sx.jpg

Went out and had some fun with the Jeep yesterday.

Interestingly enough I didn't notice any drifting or brake pull like I did the other day, but I'll still probably inspect the brakes just to make sure.
I do have some highway vibes at 60+mph; they're not bad but you can tell they're there, so I'll probably try to correct that. I'm pretty certain those are from my front driveshaft, I haven't played around much with the pinion angle, and do have a little room to play with that before my caster becomes unacceptable. I'll likely change those u-joints at the same time, they're still the same ones from when I bought the Jeep ;).

This past week I've been preoccupied with fixing my buddies '87 XJ w/ 272k on the clock. Man, that thing is truly a HEEP!

Anyways, today I had some time to make a few small quality of life fixes to my TJ. Every so often I get some squeaks and rattles that show up inside my Jeep, I've found that they come from my rear seat-belt buckle bolt and one of my sport-bar bolts on the drivers side.

ebeo3c.jpg

I rarely ever have my rear seat in my Jeep, so I ended up removing the seat-belt buckles. When on particularly rough roads, and especially when the body rocks and rolls, that bolt will squeak like HELL! When I first heard it I thought I had some serious suspension issues. Tightening it up with red Loctite will help for a while, but eventually over time the rough trails will get it squeaking again.

o89z77.jpg

I also seem to have an issue with my sport-bar clunking and rattling in a similar way, and tightening this bolt will fix that issue. This one doesn't come up as frequently as the seat-belt bolt, so today I applied Loctite to it and we'll see how it holds up.

I wonder does anyone else get any similar issues? Mind you these bolts don't actually work loose, they're still tight, just loose enough to squeak or rattle I suppose.

jajhau.jpg

This week I also started acquiring some parts for upgrading my stereo system. I got a hell of a deal on a new Sony GS820BT head unit for $150! The company I got it from gave me a free upgrade since the model I originally ordered, the XB120BT, was out of stock.

I bought it from OnlineCarStereo, but do note they've got hundreds of horrible reviews on multiple sites; I didn't realize that at the time, I just saw a good price and bit! I'd like to consider my experience lucky, so beware! ;)

I also found a set of Polk DB652 for $59 on Amazon, and also got a set of DB522 for $60 that are still on the way.

The GS820BT is a pretty sweet unit: it has a built in 100W peak/45W RMS per channel amp, which will be plenty for my needs; and it also includes a rear USB input which I plan to use with a regular flash-drive to store my music music library on, thus no need to have phone connected all the time! This will also allow me to control the music off the headunit by touch like the good ol' days ;)

2ezir86.jpg

I've still got some adapters and wiring to acquire, once I have all the parts I'll be sure to document the install process.

Last edited:
This past week I've been preoccupied with fixing my buddies '87 XJ w/ 272k on the clock. Man, that thing is truly a HEEP!

Anyways, today I had some time to make a few small quality of life fixes to my TJ. Every so often I get some squeaks and rattles that show up inside my Jeep, I've found that they come from my rear seat-belt buckle bolt and one of my sport-bar bolts on the drivers side.

View attachment 58847

I rarely ever have my rear seat in my Jeep, so I ended up removing the seat-belt buckles. When on particularly rough roads, and especially when the body rocks and rolls, that bolt will squeak like HELL! When I first heard it I thought I had some serious suspension issues. Tightening it up with red Loctite will help for a while, but eventually over time the rough trails will get it squeaking again.

View attachment 58848

I also seem to have an issue with my sport-bar clunking and rattling in a similar way, and tightening this bolt will fix that issue. This one doesn't come up as frequently as the seat-belt bolt, so today I applied Loctite to it and we'll see how it holds up.

I wonder does anyone else get any similar issues? Mind you these bolts don't actually work loose, they're still tight, just loose enough to squeak or rattle I suppose.

View attachment 58849

This week I also started acquiring some parts for upgrading my stereo system. I got a hell of a deal on a new Sony GS820BT head unit for $150! The company I got it from gave me a free upgrade since the model I originally ordered, the XB120BT, was out of stock.
I bought it from OnlineCarStereo, but note they've got hundreds of horrible reviews on multiple sites; I didn't realize that at the time, I just saw a good price and bit! I'd like to consider my experience lucky, so beware! ;)

I also found a set of Polk DB652 for $59 on Amazon, and also got a set of DB522 for $60 that are still on the way.

The GS820BT is a pretty sweet unit: it has a built in 100W peak/45W RMS per channel amp, which will be plenty for my needs; and it also includes a rear USB input which I plan to use with a regular flash-drive to store my music music library on, thus no need to have phone connected all the time! This will also allow me to control the music off the headunit by touch like the good ol' days ;)

View attachment 58850

I've still got some adapters and wiring to acquire, once I have all the parts I'll be sure to document the install process.

Are you planning to customize the sound bar for the 6.5”. If you do, I’d love to see the details (I did the DB522 for all 4).

For the dash ones I’d highly recommend some type of dash pod or other insulation behind the speakers - the sound in mine is totally lost in there with my DB522s. The dash pods (while over priced) are on their way since I don’t have time to fashion something.

Final question: what liner did you do inside? I’m evaluating lizard skin (or similar) with some type of dynamat-like layer on it...