Eliminating Transfer Case Skid Drop

BonesXX

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My ‘98 has a Zone 3” lift. I like it because it rides good and I don’t do any serious O/R. The drop on the skid tho looks like shit.

I have zero drive line vibrations now and want to keep is that way.

What is the easiest way to eliminate the skid drop.

The cheapest way will be to pull the skid drop out and install the same size motor mount lift, like boogie said. The better way would be to pull the skid drop and install a SYE and everything needed.

I misunderstood, yeah install a motor mount lift like boogie said, if you get vibes then it's time for a SYE and DC driveshaft

The cheapest way will be to pull the skid drop out and install the same size motor mount lift, like boogie said. The better way would be to pull the skid drop and install a SYE and everything needed.

What else is needed besides SYE

Should have clarified. I am not looking for cheapest way but the best way

You first stated "the easiest" way and that you "do not do any serious O/R." The best way would be to remove your lift and buy all Savvy/Currie parts. Then get an ORO swyloc, TT and on and on...............................

Last edited:
My ‘98 has a Zone 3” lift. I like it because it rides good and I don’t do any serious O/R. The drop on the skid tho looks like shit.

I have zero drive line vibrations now and want to keep is that way.

What is the easiest way to eliminate the skid drop.

Have you tried it without the drop to see if there are any vibes?

Reactions: LONGJP2
What else is needed besides SYE

The SYE, a new drive shaft, and a minimum of adjustable rear upper arms. You would likely need to add a new axle side angled track bar mount and lower arms to complete the package.

Watching this thread.

I had mild vibrations at highway speeds prior to doing the TC drop. I did it within a week of buying the TJ and really didn’t research it before doing it.

I would love to gain back the clearance lost to dropping the skid. I do a fair amount of beach driving and the dropped skid is a shovel.

Looks like the SYE is more involved than swapping out MMs. I don’t do any rock crawling (and aren’t likely to fire roads, soft sand light OR) so can the MML resolve the issue allowing me to remove the TC spacers? What else is needed if I do the MML? And, what options are there for a replacement TC skid compatible with the MML?

can the MML resolve the issue allowing me to remove the TC spacers? What else is needed if I do the MML? And, what options are there for a replacement TC skid compatible with the MML?

It really just depends. Usually a TJ starts getting driveline vibes between 2-3" of lift. A 1" MML will often remove the vibes. Nothing else is needed if you do the MML, assuming it works! The step after that if it does not work is to get a DC/ SYE and adjustable rear control arms.

Your stock skid will work, or Barnes has a replacement TC that is compatible with the MML.

https://barnes4wd.com/products/jeep-tj-bolt-on-skid-plate

It really just depends. Usually a TJ starts getting driveline vibes between 2-3" of lift. A 1" MML will often remove the vibes. Nothing else is needed if you do the MML, assuming it works! The step after that if it does not work is to get a DC/ SYE and adjustable rear control arms.

Your stock skid will work, or Barnes has a replacement TC that is compatible with the MML.

https://barnes4wd.com/products/jeep-tj-bolt-on-skid-plate

I have a 2 1/2 to 3 inch spring lift with leveling pucks upfront. The TC drop is a standard 1 inch.

I really like the idea of swapping out the TC drop for MML and using the skid you linked to.

Thanks!

I have a 2 1/2 to 3 inch spring lift with leveling pucks upfront. The TC drop is a standard 1 inch.

I really like the idea of swapping out the TC drop for MML and using the skid you linked to.

Thanks!

Added a 1"MML about a month ago after have a 1" TC drop for the last 3 years. No vibration issues and it seems to shift better (5spd), not sure if it's related or not.

As others have reminded people when doing the MML you will have to reposition the radiator shroud. I just used the RC MML kit.

Added a 1"MML about a month ago after have a 1" TC drop for the last 3 years. No vibration issues and it seems to shift better (5spd), not sure if it's related or not.

As others have reminded people when doing the MML you will have to reposition the radiator shroud. I just used the RC MML kit.

I've been really happy with how mine shifts, but am not arrogant to the point that I think it can't get better.
B&M Short Shift makes a huge improvement. One of my favorite mods.

• Love
Reactions: RINC
I've been really happy with how mine shifts, but am not arrogant to the point that I think it can't get better.
B&M Short Shift makes a huge improvement. One of my favorite mods.

Yes I have the B&M Short Shifter also, was well worth it. Now I just have to get some time to get rid of the stock shovel and but on the used UCF skid I bought from a member of the forum. To hot and humid to do any of that right now for me.

Reactions: RINC and MikekiM