Eliminating Transfer Case Skid Drop

Build for the tire size you plan to run. You won't get near as much tire under a TJ as you can on a JK with the same size lift.

Yes, thanks for that info. I came to that realization really fast searching around on this forum. Based on what I’ve read so far I don’t plan on exceeding 33” on it. I had a 87 YJ for about 9 years and only had 30” of 31” on it, with a suspension and BL on it (can’t remember everything been too long). It went and did anything I wanted to do, including three runs on the Rubicon. So I suspect 33” will be fine for me, especially if I end up doing a TT someday. Even stock this LJ is a lot more capable then my YJ was.

Not so fast. He’s got an LJ. You have a TJ. His extra driveshaft length yields a different scenario. I confirmed what you said, that UCF does not list the need for the lo-pro mount with the No BL SKID for 03-06. However, it does state that it gives 1.5” more clearance. You’re running a 2.5” OME. You add 1.5” at the skid and your TCase is seeing 4” of lift. There is no way you can get away with that without either dropping the UCF skid, getting an SYE/ DC/rear CA’s, or the lo-pro mount. You should call UCF.

@JMT Thanks I will confirm with them before I start working on it. Have a few (more than a few things) to do to it before I get to that project.

As suggested in this thread I removed the TC drop and I have vibrations at about 27 to 34 mph, especially if accelerating or decelerating. It isn‘t bone jarring but very noticeable. Other than that it is smooth, even up to 80mph. I drove about 25 miles afterword and then retorqued and it got slightly better. I think I will run it for a couple of days and see how it does.

I went ahead and ordered the Bombproof mounts suggested by Jerry, so I will be doing that soon.

https://mountainoffroad.com/collect...-97-06-yj-tj-lj-1?_pos=1&_sid=ccec55597&_ss=r

I haven’t really looked at the motor mounts. How difficult is the job?

Last edited:
Reactions: UKTJ
As suggested in this thread I removed the TC drop and I have vibrations at about 27 to 34 mph, especially if accelerating or decelerating. It isn‘t bone jarring but very noticeable. Other than that it is smooth, even up to 80mph. I drove about 25 miles afterword and then retorqued and it got slightly better. I think I will run it for a couple of days and see how it does.

I went ahead and ordered the Bombproof mounts suggested by Jerry, so I will be doing that soon.

https://mountainoffroad.com/collect...-97-06-yj-tj-lj-1?_pos=1&_sid=ccec55597&_ss=r

I haven’t really looked at the motor mounts. How difficult is the job?

I did those motor mounts. I have limit facilities (work on my driveway) and limited experience / skills. One bolt was very tricky to get to, my passenger side IIRC, but I have RHD. I ended up buying some crows feet sockets to get to it.