Encountered a sink hole. Need some advice.

ShaveLazer

TJ Enthusiast
Yesterday I was going hunting and driving down a county road when the ground fell out from under me. Jeep came down hard in the front and broke the steering box and passenger front control arm mount. Then the wheels pinned to one side and I hit the guardrail and spun twice. Luckily I was only going like 20mph so my airbags didn’t even deploy. I’m all fine not a scratch on me.

As far as I can tell the only problems are the steering box and the control arm. I need some advice on what to replace them with. I can’t tell what a good steering box is to get. I know savvy make some amazing control arms but probably not in the budget right now. I just need to get it fixed. Any advice for that would be great.

Jeep is still stranded on the other side since we don’t know if the ground is stable enough for a tow truck and it’s pretty wide. Unsure how we’re gonna go about getting it out so far. Road at that point was one way in one way back out. On the bright side the Jeep held up great considering. You might look at the pics and say how did I make it out and honestly I don’t know. The hole was just falling in around me when I went over it and somehow I popped out. It happened really fast.

Anyway, if you guys have advice or ideas I’d love to hear them. Hopefully TWRA will pay a little for it since it’s their responsibility for the roads. Thanks guys.

D819A6EC-ADC0-45A6-948F-A852DC2B64F5.jpeg

AE0DDC19-72A2-40DE-8CE4-E811297119CC.jpeg

D2E7E410-800A-4534-BA1F-7BC361879832.jpeg

8A3FC144-E16C-41A3-8B25-7F234C784F11.jpeg

58F08CF2-1970-4B2A-A97B-4D2713F8F715.jpeg

B04BC1E6-8759-4C54-BF4E-7D77394846E8.jpeg

F54F591F-387A-4AB3-B877-AF34B60A5E38.jpeg

190560A5-6284-415B-9170-27174217BCD0.jpeg

327B2497-D2D0-4366-AC9D-E32EF75E992E.jpeg

Damn! That sucks. Went to school at TTU many yrs ago.

Your 06 has the Mercedes box on it, which is more expensive. I think there is a kit to convert to the older Saginaw box, but I have no experience with that.

You probably aren't going to get that out until you get Putnam Co up there to fill it in.

Reactions: ShaveLazer
Damn! That sucks. Went to school at TTU many yrs ago.

Your 06 has the Mercedes box on it, which is more expensive. I think there is a kit to convert to the older Saginaw box, but I have no experience with that.

You probably aren't going to get that out until you get Putnam Co up there to fill it in.

That's unfortunately what I'm thinking too. More of the ground is unstable and falling in around it so I don't think anything could get close, and besides my Jeep would probably get more damaged going back through the hole. It actually happened in Jackson County by Gainesboro so hopefully they are quick about it. I think its a weird situation because its in Jackson Co, but on USACE land managed by TWRA. They just installed a new culvert under the collapse area like 2 weeks ago so that is probably the reason it all started to fall.

Here me out…..

Portable welder, stick a new mount on there, control arm is probably good enough to drive it out. The steering g box, you might be able to just replace the shaft or you might have to get a new box. Install that in place and drive her back out. Deal with the control arm mount properly when you get out.

Oh and buy a steering box skid for later install, cheap insurance and works well

Here me out…..

Portable welder, stick a new mount on there, control arm is probably good enough to drive it out. The steering g box, you might be able to just replace the shaft or you might have to get a new box. Install that in place and drive her back out. Deal with the control arm mount properly when you get out.

Oh and buy a steering box skid for later install, cheap insurance and works well

That's a good point actually. I might be able to do that and get if fixed for whenever the road is passable. So I can just replace the spline bolt thing that the pitman arm connects too? Would you happen to have a name or part number for that? Also where's a good place to get a steering box if I need? I don't assume Auto Zone would have one or at lest one that is good quality

You would have to disassemble the steering box to replace the pitman shaft.

Lares boxes get decent reviews and they have both new and rebuilt. Check rockauto, etc.

You also might find a used one.

I started a thread last week that ended up becoming a discussion on good/bad aftermarket steering boxes. Linked below:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...currectlync-install.67049/page-2#post-1240218

Good luck and happy to see that you are alright!

Thanks guys. Feels like there really aren't any great options if the steering box blows out. I'll check out the Lares one. I saw DeadJeep has some boxes they pulled for sale. I know they are used and off of other Jeeps but maybe those will work. Even if its just for a bit maybe after I get the jeep out I can fix the old steering box.

No much experience with sinkholes but here in the PNW I'd drop a tree with my Husky, make some 2 to 3" thick planks about 20' to 30' long depending on what's needed with my Alaska or just freehand...then manipulate the planks into place with winches and snatch blocks.

That'll get you on the right side of the hole. Trail welder or tow truck or a flatbed trailer or a lot of bodging and creativity will get you home.

-Mac

Anyone know if the Lares boxes are just a bolt right in thing or if I would have to drill some more holes. A lot of aftermarket ones seem to look different so I just don't know if they are easy to change out in the field.

if you will talk to the county road department/commissioner you may get some money- might have to push-

Reactions: ShaveLazer and JMT
if you will talk to the county road department/commissioner you may get some money- might have to push-

Might be a long fight but should be able to get some money from it. County said they are gonna have to redo the whole road section. Plan right now it to get a wrecker and see if it works. If not I’ll fix the steering and drive over some 6x6s.

Reactions: BlueC and AndyG
Might be a long fight but should be able to get some money from it. County said they are gonna have to redo the whole road section. Plan right now it to get a wrecker and see if it works. If not I’ll fix the steering and drive over some 6x6s.

We had one start on Highway 231 one north of Huntsville

Basically before it was over and millions dollars later they had built a small bridge, after drilling 50-60’ down to bed rock-

You can actually see it on the Internet this was 3 years ago

• Sad
Reactions: John Cooper and JMT
Ask Brandon why TN wasn't included in this? :unsure:

The U.S. Senate passed H.R. 3684, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, a historic, bipartisan bill to modernize America’s aging infrastructure. The $1.2 trillion bill, which includes $550 billion in infrastructure funding, passed on a vote of 69-30.

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC
Ask Brandon why TN wasn't included in this? :unsure:

The U.S. Senate passed H.R. 3684, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, a historic, bipartisan bill to modernize America’s aging infrastructure. The $1.2 trillion bill, which includes $550 billion in infrastructure funding, passed on a vote of 69-30.

too many never-requested-million-dollar-heated sidewalks to put in

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Anyone know if the Lares boxes are just a bolt right in thing or if I would have to drill some more holes. A lot of aftermarket ones seem to look different so I just don't know if they are easy to change out in the field.

I know I have at least one serviceable steering gear you can have for the cost of shipping. The challenge will be getting the pitman off of that chunk of sector shaft to install it onto the new steering gear.

That's some crazy stuff. Could easily have been worse looking at size of that sink hole. I'm always little wary of frost heaves in the early spring here.

Please do keep us posted as to how you figure this out.

Reactions: SvtLdr and Rut Row