Engine swap now won’t start

Hoosier

OK so here’s the deal, I picked up a 98 TJ for dirt cheap do to a seized engine. I had an engine out of a 94YJ ran great no issues only reason it was pulled to do a small block swap. So we pulled the 4.0 Out of the 98. Only to discover many of the parts were different from 94 to 98. So we swapped over all non-compatible items. We insured all sensots were plugged in fuel lines all ran everything. At least I think everything. Now upon trying to start the jeep it will crank and crank and crank but not fire. We have fuel pressure at the rail we have spark at the plug we are unsure of what is going on. We swapped crank position sensor, PCM, and spark plugs. No luck to this point. The 98 engine was swamped with water and Hydro locked causing the sieze. There was still water in the intake when we swapped them. All of the sensors seem to be good as there are no codes popping completely at a loss any help would be great

Spray a small amount of starting fluid into the air intake. If it starts you have a fuel issue. If it doesn’t start you have an ignition system issue.

Reactions: WillM
You said you have spark, so I would assume the spark is out of time. Where did you introduce the starting fluid? The intake tube is long, are you certain the starting fluid made it all the way to the intake manifold?

Reactions: randyranderson
Check the timing. Depending on how much cranking you’ve done it may be a good idea to check the spark plugs. May be flooded.

You still have to set the initial timing/cps then the computer will take it from there.

Are you positive you have spark? Check every wire at the spark plug. If you have spark, fuel and compression, it should really want to start. If you were a couple of teeth off on the distributor or even 180 I would think it would backfire in the intake trying to start.

is the gas going into the engine clean? Although the starting fluid should be flammable enough to cover bad gas to the point it should want to start with that starting fluid.

Have you checked the compression on the new engine?

So... got it started (had to retro fit the 93 dist and put on the 98 plug started right up) sadly washed the cylinders trying to get it started ( forgot to pull the fuel pump fuse stupid me) got that fixed and she’s running good but... (there’s always a but right?) there is a check engine light on. Ram it on the scanner it says unable to connect. I contacted the PO he said that there has been a check engine light on for years and no one has ever got it looked at so now how do I fix it so I can get rid of the light correctly?

I’m assuming I’m checking for 12 V at 16 pin correct? And I will grab my meet her from the house And ohm all of the fuses tomorrow

Reactions: KCsTJ
Sooo... I had one of my shop guys fully connect the wires to the adapted and for some ungodly reason he pulled the dist all the way out then he pulled all 3 wires apart and he connected them now no fire AT ALL I just left the shop before I completely flipped out. So anyways if he would have connected the wires up incorrectly could it have wiped out the dist? Maybe the computer? I had to go home due to lack of sleep lol (54 days straight with no days off) anyways I would like to get it back up and running in the morning. Thank you in advance

If he left the high tension side off and tried to fire it, he could have fried the coil.

In your first post it sounded like you were 180 out. I have done this before, it’s easy enough to do.